Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    He's coaching with the red wings now. I'm guessing he'd shape the d but if they're using richter's consulting group I'm pretty sure Richter wasn't fond of Cheli's uhm ...partying

Just curios though, why do you feel Celios would be a disaster? He's an HOF NHL'er and I'm guessing name recognition would get recruits in madison

- Would feel like a name hire designed to make a splash with little substance behind it.

- I find it hard to believe that Chelios would be interested in dropping roots here for long, so would be a stepping stone for him, potentially leaving us to look for a replacement in a few years.

- Comparatively limited experience compared to the others on many of our wish lists.

- That time he was golfing Pleasant View (early 90s) in the group ahead of us and was plastered.

I don't believe that any kid or family advisor or parent is going to send their kid to Wisconsin because Chelios is the coach.

He's one of my all time favorite players and I even have a Hawks #7 jersey from way back when, but I want a coach who is qualified and wants to build a legacy here. Chelios, in my mind, is neither of those things.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      He's coaching with the red wings now. I'm guessing he'd shape the d but if they're using richter's consulting group I'm pretty sure Richter wasn't fond of Cheli's uhm ...partying

Just curios though, why do you feel Celios would be a disaster? He's an HOF NHL'er and I'm guessing name recognition would get recruits in madison
      See Shuchuk.....

Would be a disaster....
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        - Would feel like a name hire designed to make a splash with little substance behind it.

- I find it hard to believe that Chelios would be interested in dropping roots here for long, so would be a stepping stone for him, potentially leaving us to look for a replacement in a few years.

- Comparatively limited experience compared to the others on many of our wish lists.

- That time he was golfing Pleasant View (early 90s) in the group ahead of us and was plastered.

I don't believe that any kid or family advisor or parent is going to send their kid to Wisconsin because Chelios is the coach.

He's one of my all time favorite players and I even have a Hawks #7 jersey from way back when, but I want a coach who is qualified and wants to build a legacy here. Chelios, in my mind, is neither of those things.
        Got it, thank you
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          See Shuchuk.....

Would be a disaster....

Darryl Sutter can't talk either and he's been pretty successful.

Comment

Rumor has it Oz will be the pick. I am waiting for another person to spill the beans. IMO, Wisconsin needs to start fresh and in my opinion this is a bad move.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              If you look at his roster, it reads like a D1 roster in that the players are from all over the US, Canada and a guy from Sweden. I don't know how much "recruiting" actually does on in D3.
              They do a lot of recruiting. I've spent time with a number of their Assistant Coaches. I've heard them talk about places like Flin Flon Manitoba...

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Rumor has it Oz will be the pick. I am waiting for another person to spill the beans. IMO, Wisconsin needs to start fresh and in my opinion this is a bad move.
                I agree, though I wish I knew more about the baggage with oz

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I think Oz is a great hire if true. He's already in the Black Hawk's organization. If he takes the job, he's coming back to the college game and not to advance his pro resume. I think he stays for a long time if successful. I would also be very happy with Don, but I don't think this job is his final destination. If successful, I think he moves on and we're looking again. Maybe that would be OK if he brings us back to prominence. I can't separate the two other than on this issue, and I feel Oz could be here for the long term if he earns it.
                  Last edited by srkbadger; 03-27-2016, 08:33 AM.

Comment

A few people mention coughlin's name but I don't get it. Has he attempted to coach d1? Can he recruit top flight talent in Canada and Minnesota?

I think Granato and oz fit those bills betters based on past and current employment, though I prefer DG to oz
                    Sounds like you really know what you're talking about. It's not like Cogs has turned down D1 coaching offers in the past or has any recruiting connections in western Canada. Remember when SNC tied the Badgers (after SNC had the game winning goal disallowed) in a game that UW insisted be closed to the public?

And there is no letter U in his last name.
                    Last edited by altazo; 03-26-2016, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post
                      Sounds like you really know what you're talking about. It's not like Cogs has turned down D1 coaching offers in the past or has any recruiting connections in western Canada. Remember when SNC tied the Badgers (after SNC had the game winning goal disallowed) in a game that UW insisted be closed to the public?

I know nothing about him. I prefer Granato then oz then Johnson in order. Maybe chelios. Maybe.

If TC turned down d1 offers then I'd question why. He'd have to know he'd need a larger footprint and/or success in a higher level to get wisconsin's attention. Bo Ryan spent 2-3 years at uwm after his plattevlle stint etc

I think the game vs wis was indicative of how terrible the Badgers are now. Nothing against snc but if they played a team like a Nodak they'd have gotten smoked. That's the level UW should be at and it was sad to see how far they'd fallen

Comment

I think the game vs wis was indicative of how terrible the Badgers are now. Nothing against snc but if they played a team like a Nodak they'd have gotten smoked. That's the level UW should be at and it was sad to see how far they'd fallen
                        The '14-'15 SNC team that tied UW was one of their two squads in the last 15 years to NOT qualify for the D3 national tournament. To question Coghlin's coaching resume and then go on to say how you would be content with Chris Chelios is laughable.

At least Nodak wouldn't have been afraid to make an exhibition against SNC open to the public.

I'm not 100% sure why Coghlin has turned down D1 offers. Maybe because they were in Alaska, or maybe because he felt the administrative support wasn't in place to be successful? Who knows, that could be the same reason he'd likely turn down the UW job as well...
                        Last edited by altazo; 03-26-2016, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I'll just say that I've heard from people who would be remarkably shocked if he took an offer now.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            I'll just say that I've heard from people who would be remarkably shocked if he took an offer now.
                            Coughlin you mean, EODS?

He would be a great hire I think. But I also like others.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I'm as sure as I can be with offhand conversations and secondhand information in saying he won't be coming to UW.

It's moot point, or a major shock if he's talked or applied to UW.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                                At least he didn't call him "Tom." Baby steps...
                                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Working...
                                X