Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
    The issue with 28 conference games is that we are back to just 6 NC games. Something would have to give because UW could not continue to play UND and CC/DU every year along with playing NMU at GB and playing Hockey East teams annually.

Personally, it's more important that we keep playing the HE teams over just former WCHA rivals.

IIRC, UMN would have Zero NC games after the mariucci classic, North Star Cup and promise to travel to the 4th MN school who isn't at the NSC.
    I think UMN would be forced to cut down on the number of times it played other MN schools. Perhaps just play a series away at the school not in the North Star Cup.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

A friend sent me this today...

http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/Weblisting/E...?pvl_num=85902

...a vacancy for Director of Men's Hockey Operations

Comment

Well, Hamre is kind of an Eaves guy, so I suppose it makes sense.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/coaches.asp...0&path=mhockey
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Well, Hamre is kind of an Eaves guy, so I suppose it makes sense.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/coaches.asp...0&path=mhockey
          New coach gets to choose his staff, which is more that just the 2 assistant coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            The issue with 28 conference games is that we are back to just 6 NC games. Something would have to give because UW could not continue to play UND and CC/DU every year along with playing NMU at GB and playing Hockey East teams annually.

Personally, it's more important that we keep playing the HE teams over just former WCHA rivals.

IIRC, UMN would have Zero NC games after the mariucci classic, North Star Cup and promise to travel to the 4th MN school who isn't at the NSC.
            True that something has to give... If we were to start with a (perhaps faulty) premise that in most years 5 of the 8 teams will be pretty good, which is really the way it should be, perhaps it will start to build more interest in conference games and a conference race generally. (And locally if UW can usually be one of the better teams). Of course, given the last two years, we don't have much experience at being in a B1G conference race so it doesn't seem too exciting at the moment.

With the 20 game schedule though, even if more teams were good, it seems a bit like it's over just when it's starting to heat up. We played a 28 game schedule in the WCHA and even though there were several dud series, the games had some semblance of meaning to them beyond just PWR. And we're in conference within the first couple weeks of the season starting rather than a couple games before break, which just feels weird.

Just my feeling as we go forward. The B1G is the permanent home of Wisconsin Hockey, so I am trying to consider things from the point of view of what's going to make the conference experience as it is, improve over time.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
              New coach gets to choose his staff, which is more that just the 2 assistant coaches.
              I guess that makes sense. At first look, it seemed a little more separate from the head coach's area.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Just my feeling as we go forward. The B1G is the permanent home of Wisconsin Hockey, so I am trying to consider things from the point of view of what's going to make the conference experience as it is, improve over time.

This is how I feel too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  True that something has to give... If we were to start with a (perhaps faulty) premise that in most years 5 of the 8 teams will be pretty good, which is really the way it should be, perhaps it will start to build more interest in conference games and a conference race generally. (And locally if UW can usually be one of the better teams). Of course, given the last two years, we don't have much experience at being in a B1G conference race so it doesn't seem too exciting at the moment.

With the 20 game schedule though, even if more teams were good, it seems a bit like it's over just when it's starting to heat up. We played a 28 game schedule in the WCHA and even though there were several dud series, the games had some semblance of meaning to them beyond just PWR. And we're in conference within the first couple weeks of the season starting rather than a couple games before break, which just feels weird.

As long as the NCAA limits teams to 34 games (excluding exemptions) playing 28 conference games, while nice and balanced, it going to strongly limit NC opportunities. 2 games against UND (NCHC), and 2 games against HE, assuming they are 1-for-1 deals leaves just 2 open dates and either UW has seasons with just 16 home games or we see a pay-for-pay deal with non-ivy ECAC or WCHA teams.

For me personally, the expanded NC schedule was one of the only good things about the realignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    I loved the fact that the WCHA (late 80's) was unique in that it was a true round robin schedule and conference games would start up almost immediately. Was a nice change of pace from Big Ten basketball and football that waited a month+ before starting conference play and included a lot of garbage games. I remember when I came here and it seemed like there was always a big series around Halloween time with either Minnesota or North Dakota.

It's another thing I like about the women's schedule where the WCHA still exists as before. There are big series pretty quickly in the season and every point is crucial when competing with Minnesota for the league title.

Bringing in Notre Dame seems to take a step closer to that kind of scenario.

Comment

As I posted below. I would be in favor of limiting the number of conference games to 24, even if that means an unbalanced schedule. That leaves us with 10 non-conference games. That's part of why I actually think a 7 team conference works fairly well. If you expand to 8 teams, I would keep the conference schedule at 24 games (maybe go 26, but no more).

More non-conference games are far less risky when it comes to RPI and pairwise performance. Having Only 6 non-conference games is a small sample size, and if the typical team really uses those 6 by 2 vs HE, 2 vs NCHC, 2 Other - you could be flirting with disaster if you have a bad year as a conference in the NC portion. There's just not enough games to recover from a couple of bad/fluky/injury riddled/world junior weekends. Granted, that can work in your favor if you think that our conference is really weaker/can't hold up over the long run, and we have some good weekends. It's just far more of a crapshoot.

22 - 24 Conference games is probably about right.

Comment

I grudgingly have to admit the addition of the dbag golden domers kind of has me fired up a bit. There's a team I can hate almost as much as the gophers and nodak (though I respect the rivals to the west, which I cannot say for notre dame)
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The B1G coaches can collectively decide on whether to unbalance an 8 team league or not if it comes to that. Having another quality in conference team win OOC games will help, as well as just having the league in general elevate their play.

I almost forgot my conspiracy theory of the day:

According to Over the Boards, 97 D Grant Gabriele (USHL/Muskegon) no longer heading to Western Michigan. NTDP alum to explore NCAA options for this fall, or '17-18.

What if another NTDP alum coach put the word out to Grant that he will definitely be in need of some good D-men that can step in and play right away next year in the NCAA?
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            I grudgingly have to admit the addition of the dbag golden domers kind of has me fired up a bit. There's a team I can hate almost as much as the gophers and nodak (though I respect the rivals to the west, which I cannot say for notre dame)
                            You either love the domers or hate them, right? I'm with you solo.

The more I read posts the more I agree with the addition. I must be getting soft with middle age. I just don't like the way the Big Ten left the others out in the cold, but again, I get it. If and when we add teams, IMO they better be good, well established hockey schools, not new hockey schools with hot cheerleaders. (Well maybe that WOULD work for me.)

Wouldn't it be nice if politicians debated as well as we do on USCHO?
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                              You either love the domers or hate them, right? I'm with you solo.

The more I read posts the more I agree with the addition. I must be getting soft with middle age. I just don't like the way the Big Ten left the others out in the cold, but again, I get it. If and when we add teams, IMO they better be good, well established hockey schools, not new hockey schools with hot cheerleaders. (Well maybe that WOULD work for me.)

Wouldn't it be nice if politicians debated as well as we do on USCHO?

I agree w/your earlier posts MCR, but the more I think about it the more I feel like the golden domers (and my almost irrational hatred of their pampered status, and their alums who constantly have to tell you at first meeting "I went to Notre Dame") may eventually win me over on this B10 conference idea.

Barry "University of Minnesota Duluth?"
                              UMD - Admin "yes, that's right, we'd like to join the B7 hockey conference"
                              Barry "do you have cheerleaders?"
                              UMD - "What?"
                              Barry "co-eds, you know?"
                              UMD -"uhm, we have a hockey team, you may have heard of us, we played Wisconsin when we were in the WCHA. Also a little known alum named Brett Hull played here"
                              Barry - "hmm, yeah, we had a Bret, he was nothing but trouble, sorry"

I do want to see Nodak, DU, CC, MTU and UMD on the non-con schedule annually so how about 24 conference games? pretty please?
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Applications end today. How soon until we found out who the new coach is?
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X