Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

I have a hard time believing that both Oz and Don G would fit together on the same staff at this point in their careers. Both I think would want to be the head guy. Maybe Gwoz would come back to UW as an assistant at this point, but not the others, IMO.

All signs (posters here) seem to be pointing towards a decision from BA that would keep it within the "Wisconsin Family" with Oz, Don G and Johnson being "our" frontrunners, seemingly. Not sure that any of these guys would make it a "knock your socks off" hire though. I wouldn't consider them to be bad hires at all - they all seem qualified, but my socks would still be on my feet.

Tough to interpret what that phrase means to other people in this context. To me it either means "awesome" or "surprising", and maybe both, but in my opinion in no way does it help us decipher who the next coach will be. It only helps fuel our speculation.

Is there a viable candidate that anyone here feels will truly be considered by BA that they feel strongly against? Curious to hear some names people do NOT want to see get the position.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      I have also heard this from someone in the know, wanted more resources....
      Yeap yeap...practice facility at OSU is garbage. Dane County Coliseum practice arrangement would make the OSU Ice Rink built in 1961 that OSU practices out of look like the Taj Mahal. For Oz to push for building a decent practice facility (that could also house the Womens program) was far from unreasonable.

Just in kids lost after Oz was fired that were committed to OSU you had Dougherty (that ended up at UW), Sheehy (at Minnesota with a 30 point frosh campaign), Zach Stepan (drafted), Cliff Watson (drafted), and Nolan Valleau (who has already made it to getting paid to play hockey in the AHL). By OSU standards, that class Oz had assembled would have been phenomenal.

Oz track record is pretty extensive and goes way beyond a .500 record trying to build a non hockey school into a decent program. He won National titles as an assistant under Blais at North Dakota in addition to his better know work at UW. He was GM/coach at Green Bay in the USHL and won a championship there. He has been head coach of the US WJC team in 2015 and assistant multiple times. He was instrumental in building the D core from the last 2 UW national championship game appearance teams (the 2010 team is hard to argue against being the best d group ever assembled in college and the 2006 group that included sophs Drewiske/Engel/Piskula none of which were highly regarded).

As someone else already said....car keys at Wisconsin are for a car that is considerably different then in Columbus. You actually have a significant history of success, facilities (not having to beg for a practice rink), and many advantages in place if you get the right guy here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Not much coz coaching at tOSU is not the same as UW.

Totally different car that you're getting the keys to.
        fair enough

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          for sure the back end will be shored up if Oz is back.
          If nobody bails the D is obviously going to be the weak link in what could otherwise be a pretty good team. Of course when Oz was here he coached the 1-3-1 for Eaves, which Eaves mostly abandoned this year for a 1-2-2 which kept forwards higher in the zone for a quick turnaround and clearly resulted in a more up and down type of hockey. (Which is something everyone demanded) Oddly in hindsight, given the D-corp weakness, he likely would have been better served sticking to the 1-3-1 and getting much better backchecking help from the offside forward. If Oz is the guy I'd think he might feel the need to protect a young inexperienced D-corp and deploy a defensive style again. I wonder how that would go over...

The other question I have is that while Oz was a great recruiter when he was the recruiting coordinator, as HC his responsibilities would be somewhat different, (especially at Wisconsin) and how would his ability as a direct recruiter translate to overseeing someone else doing the heavy lifting? Would he be as good? Does he have the ability to multiply himself and it would even be better? I don't know. It's a question.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
            I have a hard time believing that both Oz and Don G would fit together on the same staff at this point in their careers. Both I think would want to be the head guy. Maybe Gwoz would come back to UW as an assistant at this point, but not the others, IMO.

All signs (posters here) seem to be pointing towards a decision from BA that would keep it within the "Wisconsin Family" with Oz, Don G and Johnson being "our" frontrunners, seemingly. Not sure that any of these guys would make it a "knock your socks off" hire though. I wouldn't consider them to be bad hires at all - they all seem qualified, but my socks would still be on my feet.

Tough to interpret what that phrase means to other people in this context. To me it either means "awesome" or "surprising", and maybe both, but in my opinion in no way does it help us decipher who the next coach will be. It only helps fuel our speculation.

Is there a viable candidate that anyone here feels will truly be considered by BA that they feel strongly against? Curious to hear some names people do NOT want to see get the position.
            I agree with you on the sock knocking. On the other hand fueled, wild speculation is really all we have to do while we wait.

Also, unlike the Republican's problems, I will pledge support to whoever the eventual nominee is.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              If Oz is the guy I'd think he might feel the need to protect a young inexperienced D-corp and deploy a defensive style again. I wonder how that would go over...

Regardless of who the next coach is, it will take a year or 3 before they can get their players in and implement whatever system they want to run.

If they have to run a defensive system at the outset, so be it.

I'm happy to give them that time.

Comment

Wow, it is great to see so much positivity in a UW thread.

A quick question to those of you who had stopped getting tickets; how does this impact you?

Are you already planning on coming back to what you had before? Coming back for one night to start? Getting some single game tickets to take a look?

One of the common assumptions in previous threads was that a new coach would invigorate the masses and bring people back to the KC in swarms. I'm curious to see how many of you are willing to walk the walk now.

Or is everyone now switching to BA as the reason they can't support UW Athletics in general?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  What I heard about that was that he was a squeaky wheel wanting to get more facilities for his team, etc. So much so that he was a bit of a pain in the AD's arse.

Also heard that Rohlik may have played a role with a knife to the back.

Can't remember the deets anymore, but came from a very close source although I understand that the source was sympathetic to Oz's side of the situation.
                  Gotcha, thanks for the insight.

I hope Rohlik wasn't underhanded in that situation....amongst other things it would lower my respect for him. Team 1990 needs to stay together. They provided so many amazing memories
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

A quick question to those of you who had stopped getting tickets; how does this impact you?

Are you already planning on coming back to what you had before? Coming back for one night to start? Getting some single game tickets to take a look?

One of the common assumptions in previous threads was that a new coach would invigorate the masses and bring people back to the KC in swarms. I'm curious to see how many of you are willing to walk the walk now.

Or is everyone now switching to BA as the reason they can't support UW Athletics in general?
                    How can this be answered until all of the information is in?

If it's MJ that doesn't move the needle for me, not immediately anyway.

If it's Granato I'm all in.

OZ, I may wait a year to see how he shaped his first recruiting class and see how/if he can improve current players
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Genius.

Here's a visual aid for my favorite line:

Mac, that is ****ing awesome.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

One of the common assumptions in previous threads was that a new coach would invigorate the masses and bring people back to the KC in swarms.

No... no one said that.

In fact, many warned that the damage done over the last few years will likely never be repaired completely or at best, will take many years to fix.

Nice try.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          Mac, that is ****ing awesome.

I agree.

His photoshop skills have greatly improved.

Well done.

Comment

I don't quite fit the question because I had not yet dropped my tickets. But I can say that without this change, I was planning to drop. I will now keep my tickets unless there is a really bad hire. Most of the names being bandied about would be enough to keep me driving to Madison next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              I was thinking that Oz with Granato as assistant or associate would "knock my socks off."

I believe your concern could be valid though.
                              That would give me a boner.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Wow - kind of an abrasive post, isn't it. Are you still hurt that Eaves is gone? But hey, I will bite.

Are you already planning on coming back to what you had before? Coming back for one night to start? Getting some single game tickets to take a look? I am willing to keep my Saturday seats for now. However, I won't go back to Friday seats for now (dropped them this year)

One of the common assumptions in previous threads was that a new coach would invigorate the masses and bring people back to the KC in swarms. I'm curious to see how many of you are willing to walk the walk now. I don't think it is fair to say in swarms, but people will come back when the team is more competitive.

gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X