Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
    Wow. Well, that would make our decision on re-upping Friday and Saturday night tickets an easy one.
    I agree. If they passed on Pat Ford and Mark Johnson, back when Eaves was hired, how could they in their right mind keep Strand.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      Thanks Almington for the new thread; it's a good idea to move on. I didn't see it at first and posted on the "old" thread! (Lock it!)

After some personal research, I don't understand the big whoop about Don G. He started coaching in 1993. As a HEAD coach he has: 5 years not making the playoffs, 5 years of losing in the 1st or 2nd rounds of playoffs, 1 year lost in finals, and 1 championship. (3 years no results shown and 1 year came in at mid season). Am I missing something? I'm not being a smart ***; I just don't see much there. If he wasn't a Badger, would some of you even consider him?

Even though he didn't do much better in the USHL, because of his coaching at a higher level, I prefer Oz; the Great and Powerful.
      This is an interesting parallel to the GBP and the "need" at the time to stay within the Packer family, which led to the Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg years. Not sure how much they would have been considered had they not been previous Packers (although Gregg led the Bengals to a SB appearance).

The fact that there are a good number of reasonable candidates does say that there is something worthwhile to the Wisconsin "brand".

I think BA is sick of getting burned by his choices in FB (Bielema and Anderson), so staying within the UW family has been the easy choice the last few times - Chryst and Gard - and has played well in the public and thus far - in results as well. Obviously, it's early in both coach's head coaching tenure at UW.

We know BA doesn't care a whole lot for the sport, so now that the hockey position is open - I can't see him spending a lot of time looking for someone when "there's a guy right here" (I can almost hear him say this at the press conference).

My guess: best chacne is it's Johnson then possibly Granato then.....anyone else would really be a surprise to this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
        If it's Strand, I'll take another muli-year hiatus from the board. My buddy who knows him well has told me enough stories that I don't want him as an assistant, let alone the head coach.

That's why I posted on Friday that I want a clean sweep of the staff. Let the new HC pick his associates. Just my opinion.

I took him off my signature, but wouldn't Barry Melrose be a ****ing party?!
        Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-20-2016, 02:49 PM.
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

That's why I posted on Friday that I want a clean sweep of the staff. Let the new HC pick his associates. Just my opinion.

LOL That would be a fun 2 years.

Comment

The new coach will get to pick his staff, but someone has to be in charge of the program until he is hired.

Comment

Yes. But are you ok with Barry Melrose bringing back his buddy Gary Shuchuk?
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

The job posting @ ncaa.com says the assistant job opening is for 2 spots.
                ----------------------------------------
                NOTES:
                2 openings.
                Employer will assist with relocation costs.
                Internal Number: 85901

Link: http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/8008267
                -----------------------------------------------

If Strand is a defensive positioning guru, no thank you.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  I'm not sure if we're reading to much into the one assistant posting or not. For example if it's Donny and he wants to bring say Tony and Nick Fohr (let's hope) along I don't see the AD saying no. They can always post the job to meet state requirements I'd think.

Or maybe they got Nate Leamon and convinced Steve Miller to return to Wisconsin...

...sadly they haven't.

Luke and J.B are officially retained to facilitate transition at this point. What happens with them absolutely depends on the new HC. In the meantime their job is to continue their job. Plus they are going to absolutely have hockey jobs next year somewhere so there's every reason for them to continue scouting. The surprise would be if they weren't.
                  Strand was in Michigan at the NTDP tryout camp on Friday trying to ease the nerves of commits Frederic, Inamoto and Gildon. Although Strand has a contract for next year, he is staying on until the next coach is hired and expects to be released from his contract by the new HC.

Luke Strand is not going to be the new HC at UW. He isn't on the short wishlist the AD has. It isn't something us fans need to worry about.

Comment

Yeah, I'd bet my first born Strand is gone. Nice guy. Moran. Shouldn't be near a D1 program.

Comment

I believe it's spelled m-o-r-o-n.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                        I believe it's spelled m-o-r-o-n.
                        Wrong.

*******http://www.rumproast.com/images/uplo...n2.jpg********
                        Last edited by aktick; 03-20-2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I'm curious to hear more about this anti-Strand business.

I'll rep my email address to you, aktick, if you care to elaborate non-"publicly".

Fwiw, I have a neighbor who is a national champion from another school who I haven't spoken to much about it (and he hasn't elaborated), but has a high opinion on Strand.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                            Here's an assist:
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              I'm curious to hear more about this anti-Strand business.

I'll rep my email address to you, aktick, if you care to elaborate non-"publicly".

Fwiw, I have a neighbor who is a national champion from another school who I haven't spoken to much about it (and he hasn't elaborated), but has a high opinion on Strand.

I'd say several people have a high opinion of Luke Strand or he wouldn't have been hired at UW or at the Caps.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                I'd say several people have a high opinion of Luke Strand or he wouldn't have been hired at UW or at the Caps.
                                That level of approval didn't stop Bielema from being a lacivious scumbag.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X