Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    And we can be honest with ourselves and admit that we're just being eager little fanboys thinking we can get Oz and Granato on the same staff, right?
    Yeah, but it would knock our socks off!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Doubt Oz would be content with assistant as he reportedly had that opportunity last year.

Comment

Take the women's program out of the equation and I still wouldn't want MJ.

Feels like a retread.

Comment

Part of that is I was talking to my mother the other day about the HC position and she thinks Mark Johnson really wants to follow in his father's footsteps as coach of the men's team. Disregarding the women's team for a second, think of what the men's team would be like if you had a legacy coach such as MJ. What boy ages 16-18 that loves hockey hasn't seen the movie Miracle? That's a major + in the recruiting department to be able to play for a guy who was on that 1980 team AND scored half of the goals for USA in their 4-3 win against the USSR. Then combine that factor with the recruiting connections that Granato and Osiecki have.

Getting the recruits is the majority of the battle. I'm sure MJ would have a great system to run similar to his father's or Jeff Sauer's.

Now, regarding the women's team. It's totally fair to say he should stay there since he's built Wisconsin into a contender year in and year out. Went to one of their games this year, a 4-0 win over Dartmouth, where the teams were definitely in different tiers. The shots were 63-9 at the end of the game. That's what I want for the men's team. We should be the team doing the dominating, not the team getting dominated like this last two years.

Just my perspective on things. If Osiecki is the new HC I won't mind it but I hope he has someone like Granato lined up to be his assistant.
          /rant

Comment

This entire thread reminds me of a bunch of SIDs pumping their Hobey candidate with little regard for who actually deserves it. It’s simple, pick the best person and forget about all the homer stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              Wow, it is great to see so much positivity in a UW thread.

A quick question to those of you who had stopped getting tickets; how does this impact you?

Are you already planning on coming back to what you had before? Coming back for one night to start? Getting some single game tickets to take a look?

One of the common assumptions in previous threads was that a new coach would invigorate the masses and bring people back to the KC in swarms. I'm curious to see how many of you are willing to walk the walk now.

Or is everyone now switching to BA as the reason they can't support UW Athletics in general?
              I will stick with purchasing the occasional single game purchase, which is something that wasn't going to happen if Eaves had stayed. Granted, some of it was just bad timing, but I saw some of the biggest blowouts in recent history.

If they get off to a better start, I'm also much more likely to watch them on TV. Last time I went out of my way to make time to watch them on TV was the 2014 NCAA flame-out against North Dakota.

I don't think there is any coaching staff that is immediately going to bring back crowds of 14,000-15,000. However, it should slow/stop the bleeding of season ticket non-renewals and generate much more initial interest this fall. UW would also do well to get more creative in their ticket packages.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                Part of that is I was talking to my mother the other day about the HC position and she thinks Mark Johnson really wants to follow in his father's footsteps as coach of the men's team. Disregarding the women's team for a second, think of what the men's team would be like if you had a legacy coach such as MJ. What boy ages 16-18 that loves hockey hasn't seen the movie Miracle? That's a major + in the recruiting department to be able to play for a guy who was on that 1980 team AND scored half of the goals for USA in their 4-3 win against the USSR. Then combine that factor with the recruiting connections that Granato and Osiecki have.

Getting the recruits is the majority of the battle. I'm sure MJ would have a great system to run similar to his father's or Jeff Sauer's.

Now, regarding the women's team. It's totally fair to say he should stay there since he's built Wisconsin into a contender year in and year out. Went to one of their games this year, a 4-0 win over Dartmouth, where the teams were definitely in different tiers. The shots were 63-9 at the end of the game. That's what I want for the men's team. We should be the team doing the dominating, not the team getting dominated like this last two years.

Just my perspective on things. If Osiecki is the new HC I won't mind it but I hope he has someone like Granato lined up to be his assistant.
                /rant
                Women's hockey is top heavy in a way that the men's game will never be again. A few programs get all of the best players and fortunately, UW is one of them.

MJ is undoubtedly a great women's coach, but he also has a lot to work with.

I can't see Miracle or what Mark did 35+ years ago having a greater impact on a kid than Oz being able to say, "Look at the guys I helped get into the NHL."

Also, he can point to his junior and AHL experience and show that he understands the entire journey, inside and out.

Comment

• Originally posted by gurtholfin View Post
                  women's hockey is top heavy in a way that the men's game will never be again. A few programs get all of the best players and fortunately, uw is one of them.

Mj is undoubtedly a great women's coach, but he also has a lot to work with.

I can't see miracle or what mark did 35+ years ago having a greater impact on a kid than oz being able to say, "look at the guys i helped get into the nhl."

also, he can point to his junior and ahl experience and show that he understands the entire journey, inside and out.
                  this

Comment

Considering how much BA has cared about the hockey program, I can't help but to think that he would believe that hiring Doug Woog would "blow our socks off."
                    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Is there a possibility Geoffrion ever gets behind a bench?
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS
                      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
                        This entire thread reminds me of a bunch of SIDs pumping their Hobey candidate with little regard for who actually deserves it. It’s simple, pick the best person and forget about all the homer stuff!
                        Sure. Who would that be?

A fantasy Oz as HC and Granato as assistant makes no sense to me. Oz has been an assistant for 9 of the last 12 years with his 3 year HC stint at OSU while Donny has been a HC for 16 of the last 17 with one year as an NHL assistant. So maybe the other way around. Associate HC at a winning Wisconsin might even be a small step up from Oz's current job as an AHL assistant. Yes, he apparently wasn't interested in the sinking ship last year as an assistant, but it's not the same deal right now, is it? I like Oz and if he gets it I'm fine. But it's not knocking my socks off.
                        Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 03-22-2016, 04:03 PM.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                          Is there a possibility Geoffrion ever gets behind a bench?
                          I believe he will be a coach at the NTDP tryout camp, so maybe it's in his future somewhere.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                            Considering how much BA has cared about the hockey program, I can't help but to think that he would believe that hiring Doug Woog would "blow our socks off."
                            Maybe Butters is feeling recharged after a couple years off?
                            Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                            Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                            sigpic
                            Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Women's hockey is top heavy in a way that the men's game will never be again. A few programs get all of the best players and fortunately, UW is one of them.

MJ is undoubtedly a great women's coach, but he also has a lot to work with.
                              Yeah, but he and his staff have gone out and gotten the best players and coached them up to be championship caliber. It's not like they can just draw a 60 mile radius of Madison to get recruits. The roster is literally made of players from coast-to-coast (California to upstate New York & British Columbia to Quebec).
                              I do understand that there aren't a ton of options for the top recruits and there is no flight risk to junior hockey/NHL. However, I just don't think it's automatic that Wisconsin will be a women's hockey super-power whomever is in charge.

Personally, I'd like to see him coach the women's program for another decade. On paper, they probably have the most talented roster in the country coming back next year & a great class coming in. However, Coach Johnson has to know that this is realistically his last opportunity to get the men's job. I have to believe there is a strong pull for him to seriously consider applying for the job.

As I said in the women's section, it's an exciting (& anxious) time to be a Wisconsin hockey fan.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                                No, that would just "blow".

Comment

Working...
                                X