Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowell/Providence Hockey East Semi Final (3/18) – Alliance Suspended!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gfan View Post
    He turned the heel of his foot forward and directed the puck, and I'm not a fan of either team just a college hockey fan
    If you're saying because of this it shouldn't have counted, we're on the same page

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I actually saw him up in the replay booth!
      LOL...Regardless both these teams should make a good run in the NCAAs.

Comment

Re: Lowell/Providence Hockey East Semi Final (3/18) – Alliance Suspended!

If you're saying because of this it shouldn't have counted, we're on the same page
        it's the entire argument, case closed. whether he tried to kick it in or direct it to his stick it doesn't matter, he kicked the puck into the net. I'm glad though. UML won and the game is over

Comment

I have the greatest respect for the Lowell hockey program, but that goal should not have counted. Hockey East - you should be ashamed. Your on-ice referees got the call correct. Too bad you are more interested in kowtowing to Jerry York and keeping on schedule than having this epic game decided correctly on a valid goal.
          Last edited by uncle_cliff; 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

It's just too bad a game like this ended on a goal like that.

Comment

I tend to agree with you; however, they're saying on TV (Cahoon) that the rule has been changed "several times" and apparently as long as there is no "kicking motion" (even though you could say he "directed" it in), it's a good goal. Either way, an unfortunate way for the game to end.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                me too, not even close but karma kinda. Makes up for the screw job they got vs BU
                What screw job would that be? Do you mean the HE Championship game in 2009 when they thought they scored but was called no goal early in the second period and when they had more than half the game left to actually try to tie it, not to mention several power play opportunities to give them a bit more of an advantage over BU who only scored one goal? That screw job?

Comment

Can't see how the call on the ice is overturned. If it's called a goal on the ice, the same logic would apply. He didn't "kick" it, but he certainly pushed it. Wouldn't be surprised if the officials' own fatigue pushed their decision here.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_cliff View Post
                    I have the greatest respect for the Lowell hockey program, but that goal should not have counted. Hockey East - you should be ashamed. Your on-ice referees got the call correct. Too bad you are more interested in kow towing to Jerry York and keeping on schedule than having this epic game decided correctly on a valid goal.
                    Yes i am sure they called it a goal because of Jerry York

Comment

OK, folks here we go again

From the NCAA Rule Book

83.4 Goals Scored Off of Skates -
                      A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal.
                      A goal shall be allowed if a puck deflects off an attacking player who is in the act of stopping.

The key is the last sentence. There is no question in my mind that the skate was turned towards the net, however, the catch is that the skate was not lifted or moved vertically. Don't blame the refs on this one. College hockey resisted this change in rules for a long time. Even a few years ago, this goal would not have counted and I think that's why the refs waived it off.

While the hockey purest in me can't stand goals off skates, it's the way the game has changed towards in the past 10-15 years. While my team came out on top, I just hate to see overtime games decided like that, especially an epic game like this.
                      - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Too bad you are more interested in kowtowing to Jerry York and keeping on schedule than having this epic game decided correctly on a valid goal.
                        how much HE have you watched over the years? I suspect not a lot

Comment

I have the greatest respect for the Lowell hockey program, but that goal should not have counted. Hockey East - you should be ashamed. Your on-ice referees got the call correct. Too bad you are more interested in kowtowing to Jerry York and keeping on schedule than having this epic game decided correctly on a valid goal.
                          No distinct kicking motion... The end.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            What screw job would that be? Do you mean the HE Championship game in 2009 when they thought they scored but was called no goal early in the second period and when they had more than half the game left to actually try to tie it, not to mention several power play opportunities to give them a bit more of an advantage over BU who only scored one goal? That screw job?
                            Yes scarlet. That one.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Don't change a thing....this is a treat every time it happens like this.

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
                              As an impartial observer, I have to ask. Do you prefer the current overtime format or would you like to see a change such as 4 on 4 or 3 on 3? Perhaps just regular season, perhaps post season as well.

Also congrats to both teams, an outstanding defensive effort by both.
                              - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                                OK, folks here we go again

From the NCAA Rule Book

83.4 Goals Scored Off of Skates -
                                A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate
                                who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal.
                                A goal shall be allowed if a puck deflects off an attacking player who is in the act of stopping.

The key is the last sentence. There is no question in my mind that the skate was turned towards the net, however, the catch is that the skate was not lifted or moved vertically. Don't blame the refs on this one. College hockey resisted this change in rules for a long time. Even a few years ago, this goal would not have counted and I think that's why the refs waived it off.

While the hockey purest in me can't stand goals off skates, it's the way the game has changed towards in the past 10-15 years. While my team came out on top, I just hate to see overtime games decided like that, especially an epic game like this.
                                how can you say it wasn't a " distinct kicking motion"? it was clearly that , he angled his skate perfectly to deflect the puck into the net, whether he meant it or not. They cant assume he was kicking it to his stick

Comment

Working...
                                X