• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied
    Re: AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"

Originally posted by Superfly100 View Post
    Ticket sales. Not actual attendance.
    Actually it isn't even always ticket sales. These totals are often complete figments of someone's imagination. My cousin is a sportswriter who has been covering high school, college and pro sports at venues throughout the midwest for years. He has confirmed that at times these numbers are just made up figures by promoters and SIDs when the actual figures are embarrassing. Like at any number of college hockey tournaments in recent seasons. My thought is there has not been an accurately reported attendance figure yet for a B1G hockey tournament, either in St Paul or Detroit. Entirely made up.

Leave a comment:

• Superfly100
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    The posted attendance for the B1G games yesterday was 4283.

Sean
    Ticket sales. Not actual attendance.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Lol. People are so quick to bash this like its some epic disaster. They don't even stop to think before they post.

It will be bad, but let's not sh#t ourselves trying.
    The posted attendance for the B1G games yesterday was 4283.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    It started with a 2-for-1(ish) where the 'Cats were invited to the Badger Holiday Tourney in 2005-06, hosted the Badgers in Green Bay in 2006-07, and then went to Madison in 2008-09. Then starting in 2011-12, the 'Cats and Badgers agreed to 1-for-1(ish) for at least six years.

The reason the Badgers don't go to Marquette is that the Green Bay games are technically home games for NMU. They have a very friendly arrangement with the Resch Center where the extra capacity of the Resch Center allows NMU to pocket more than they would if the Badgers came to Marquette.

Also, the Alumni office for NMU uses the Green Bay games as outreach for area alumni and other University marketing purposes. Similar to why the NMU Alumni Association had such a large presence at the CCHA Tournament every year.

TL;DR - It's actually a better arrangement than hosting the Badgers in MQT.
    The original Madison/Green Bay deal was for four years (2 in Madison/ 2 in Green Bay), then it was renewed for 2 more years with a mutual option for 2 more. 3 series remain on the deal with 2 in GB and one more visit to Madison.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
    Speaking of Wisconsin, why is it that whenever they play NMU that they won't travel to Marquette? I see what looks to be 2 for 1 deals that always have the 1 in Green Bay instead (unless I'm overlooking something.)
    The Green Bay arrangement was proposed by NMU. It came about through the long time friendship between the NMU coach and the head of PMI, which runs the Resch Center. (They had worked together with the Anaheim Ducks). The series has been split evenly between Green Bay and Madison, with the Green Bay games serving as NMU home games. The Green Bay games are staffed and managed by NMU and promoted by PMI. NMU takes home the check for those games.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied
    Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    That is not the way i remember it. There were a decent amount of open seats but it was at least half full. There were at least 20x the people at that game than were at the X this afternoon.
    Friday afternoon games were reasonably well attended (normally because UND was playing) but Thursday afternoon games were very lean. Although not quite as lean as yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Tipsy McStagger
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I went to that Wisconsin MSU game. There was nowhere near 16k there. It was pick your section.
    That is not the way i remember it. There were a decent amount of open seats but it was at least half full. There were at least 20x the people at that game than were at the X this afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

It started with a 2-for-1(ish) where the 'Cats were invited to the Badger Holiday Tourney in 2005-06, hosted the Badgers in Green Bay in 2006-07, and then went to Madison in 2008-09. Then starting in 2011-12, the 'Cats and Badgers agreed to 1-for-1(ish) for at least six years.

The reason the Badgers don't go to Marquette is that the Green Bay games are technically home games for NMU. They have a very friendly arrangement with the Resch Center where the extra capacity of the Resch Center allows NMU to pocket more than they would if the Badgers came to Marquette.

Also, the Alumni office for NMU uses the Green Bay games as outreach for area alumni and other University marketing purposes. Similar to why the NMU Alumni Association had such a large presence at the CCHA Tournament every year.

TL;DR - It's actually a better arrangement than hosting the Badgers in MQT.

Leave a comment:

• jsmithe
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The big name schools not playing at the small schools unless it's 2 for 1 has hurt the small schools a lot. Lake Superior has or will have made at least 3 trips in recent years to South Bend or the Irish holiday tournament yet Notre Dame refuses to go to the Soo. Minnesota goes to Duluth, St Cloud, Bemidji & Mankato once every four years instead of every year. Wisconsin has been the only one of the big ten colleges to give the smaller schools a fair shake. Now, the formation of the NCHC made things worse. Western Michigan or Miami had many rivals within a half day's drive and fans had it much easier going to road games.
    Speaking of Wisconsin, why is it that whenever they play NMU that they won't travel to Marquette? I see what looks to be 2 for 1 deals that always have the 1 in Green Bay instead (unless I'm overlooking something.)

Leave a comment:

• Bale
    replied
    Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The big name schools not playing at the small schools unless it's 2 for 1 has hurt the small schools a lot. Lake Superior has or will have made at least 3 trips in recent years to South Bend or the Irish holiday tournament yet Notre Dame refuses to go to the Soo. Minnesota goes to Duluth, St Cloud, Bemidji & Mankato once every four years instead of every year. Wisconsin has been the only one of the big ten colleges to give the smaller schools a fair shake. Now, the formation of the NCHC made things worse. Western Michigan or Miami had many rivals within a half day's drive and fans had it much easier going to road games.
    I'm not one for defending the big ten or m8nnesota, but that's a gross mischaracterization of the minnesota schools relationships. MN also agrees to do the nscc which splits the revenues between the schools. It may not be a one for one trade, but it's an arrangement that works for all 5 schools.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied
    Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Pretty sure those 2012 and 2013 games are not the attendance of that game, but the paid attendance for the entire Thursday session.
    Other way around. 2011 was a single Thursday ticket. 2012 and 2013 were separate tickets for each game.

Leave a comment:

• SiouxFanatic
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Pretty sure those 2012 and 2013 games are not the attendance of that game, but the paid attendance for the entire Thursday session.
    Could be right. I did notice that the listed attendance did rise in the evening Thursday games.

PS Really dislike the whole "paid" attendance vs. actual attendance discrepancy.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
    What's your definition of "garbage" for attendance?

2013 WCHA F5 Thursday afternoon game:
    Wisconsin vs. Mankato at 2:07pm -- 15,971

2012 WCHA F5 Thursday afternoon game:
    Denver vs. Michigan Tech at 2:07pm -- 11,489

2011 WCHA F5 Thursday afternoon game:
    Minnesota-Duluth vs. Bemidji State at 3:37pm -- 13,131

I'd say that's pretty decent numbers for afternoon games on a Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I went to that Wisconsin MSU game. There was nowhere near 16k there. It was pick your section.

Leave a comment:

• SiouxFanatic
    replied

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    That's paid attendance, not actual butts in seats attendance.
    I guess I still don't remember the attendance being as atrocious back then? My mind may be a little fuzzy though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X