Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    Many teams may not be losing money, but clearly have lower revenue AND higher expenses since the teams are more spread out.
    completely agree, just know that in one of the other articles they were talking about how bad the WCHA's losses were, compared to the NCHC, but that's not fair because the NCHC doesn't have a women's league and I'm sure the Women's league is mostly a blackhole for $$$
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Has the WCHA considered playing a truly unbalanced schedule, playing fewer games against the Alaska schools with those two playing each other much more often? The NAHL does that with Fairbanks and Kenai River playing each other 16 times during the season. Each of the other 8 schools could play one of the Alaska schools in a 3-game series each year. That would mean they go to Alaska once every other year. Each Alaska school would only play four 3-game series in the lower 48 each year.

Edit: That should read "two 3-game series in the lower 48 each year".
      A situation like that wouldn't be logistically fair to the league when half of an Alaska school's points could come from beating the other. If both teams played 6 series, that's 12 of the total 28 game league schedule, that's 24 potential points with only playing one series (two games) against the rest of the league. And if the disparity between the teams is any sort of lopsided in either direction, you could have a situation where if either Alaska school goes 8-2-2 for example against the other, and an even .500 8-8-0, that's 16-10-2 in league play for a total of 34 points, which is top 4 in the league this year.

In the NAHL, it's a bit easier to justify when you have a 60 game league schedule.
      Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I think there's a lot of truth in that. Look at the images of a pre-realignment to post-realignment map.

Before:
        https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...!Hockey_d1.png

After:
        https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../Hockey_d1.png

Terrible decisions made top to bottom.
        2012-13 Average Distances

2013-14 Average Distances
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to show. The maps I posted paint a fairly clear image as to why this was a terrible idea geographically.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to show. The maps I posted paint a fairly clear image as to why this was a terrible idea geographically.
            It shows the geographic center and average distance of each conference...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

And the WCHA is massively biased by the two AK teams, which by many accounts, have survived some way, somehow.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I get that's what it shows. But I think it's misleading. Especially given that Minnesota's costs have gone up.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Average is also a terrible metric to use. Median would be much better.
                  Code:

Comment

I get that's what it shows. But I think it's misleading. Especially given that Minnesota's costs have gone up.
                    it shows that the Minnesota's has gone up...they went from the geographic center to the outlier, even though the distances for the new conference are smaller...

Comment

Average is also a terrible metric to use. Median would be much better.
                      Agreed.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

What's the median?
                        Code:

Comment

What's the median?
                          A strip of grass or pavement that divides a highway.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            A strip of grass or pavement that divides a highway.
                            I always love that one....

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              This might be the best take I've read on this in the 5 or so years of the "Big Mistake" debate. If you had told NoDak, Denver, and Notre Dame back in 2011 that in the spring of 2016, Wisconsin will be in its second straight year of being in the 40s in the Pairwise, the Gophers will need to win the Big tourney to make the NCAA field and will have lost 11 of their last 12 against other MN schools, and OSU and MSU will still be mediocre, I don't think there would have been any panic to bust up the WCHA and CCHA. There was a huge concern that we were headed down the road of college football, where most teams enter the year knowing they have zero chance of even getting to the playoffs, let alone winning anything. That hasn't happened, and doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon, but no one knew that at the time, so those schools made a move that they thought was necessary to keep them relevant.
                              In 2011, Michigan was highest ranked B1G team in the PairWise (6th to be precise). Minnesota was the next highest at 19th. CCHA members Miami, Western Michigan and Notre Dame were all in the top 11. North Dakota, Denver and Minnesota-Duluth were in the top nine. When two leagues have more than a 25 percent share a piece in the playoff rankings and the other three leagues (and one future) combine for less than half, you have to doubt that the panic was exclusively about on-ice competition. It's obvious judging by that season's results, the CCHA and WCHA could have been more than competitive staying intact.

Comment

Good news! Once the B1G prevents 23 and 24 year olds from playing against their 17 and 18 year olds who are recruited to the hockey team to get their degree, all these travel issues go away.
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X