AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"

I think Niagara would jump at the chance to get out of Atlantic Hockey. I'm fairly certain the only reason they are in there is because there was no logical place to go. I don't know if Air Force would leave Atlantic - they joined because I believe they knew the CHA was struggling to stay together and got the jump on the rest of the league.

Not sure if Robert Morris would jump. Canisius and Mercyhurst met with Bowling Green when they tried to save the CCHA. I don't think RIT makes this jump in leagues. I think the only league RIT would move to is ECAC if an opening became available. Without schaolarships, the Tigers would be hard pressed to compete in a conference where everyone else had a full compiment.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Isn't attendance down in both the NCHC, WCHA & B1G compared to the old WCHA & CCHA days?

Ancient rivalries were destroyed in favor of cash.

And playing what the heck, if raiding AHA is on style..

Far West conference: ASU, USAFA, CC, DU, AK, UAA
      WCHA3: UNO, UND, BSU, SCSU, UMM, UMD, MTU
      CCHA2: UAH, BGSU, FSU, WMU, NMU, LSSU, MIA

It's ugly, but ancient rivalries restored, travel reduced, money can be made, though the FWC does make me wince and filling OOC for some of the FWC schools may be an issue.
      Who is UMM?
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

To my knowledge, the NCHC offered their last spot in the 8 team conference to Notre Dame and they refused it. After they refused, the last spot was offered to St Cloud, who was going to remain in the new WCHA. The most logical thinking here geographically is that Bemidji and Mankato join the NCHC and Miami and Western Mich join the new WCHA. I don't know if Miami and WMU are interested in that option based on the simple fact that the competition is clearly inferior in the WCHA compared to the NCHC, but geographically that makes sense. Hunstville and the Alaska teams are outliers. They've always been outliers geographically so there may not be any good location for them, period. If you look at the size of the arenas, the attendance, and the travel distance that the current WCHA has compared to the NCHC, its easy to see why the NCHC makes money and the WCHA does not. The BIG doesn't have to worry about attendance at their venues. The conference as a whole has revenue sharing amongst all sports, so the profits they make in football and basketball more than make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          Who is UMM?
          I couldnt use Mankato State.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            Who is UMM?
            Ummmm.... A team that thinks a lot?
            Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Because the teams are struggling?

For whatever reason, fans are fair weather- they want to see a team winning. Michigan may be having a good year, but this NCAA birth is the first in 3 seasons. Wisconsin is down for some reason. MSU is down for some reason. OSU is not a hockey school. PSU is doing incredibly well, with attendance over capacity this year. Had this taken place in the old conferences, the same thing would be happening.

Besides, the entire B1G is in the top 11 overall for attendance.

Not going to speak for the other conferences. If you want to take it out on the B1G for wanting to play as a conference just like they do in every other sport, that's your energy. But the WCHA and CCHA still had a great conference. Unless you think the B1G schools were that important. Which I thought that Northern fans always tried to talk down, and thought the CCHA always favored MSU unfairly...
              These teams are being doubly punished for their poor teams. Goofer fans are especially angry. Expensive tickets and none of the old rivalries, plus lots of entertainment options in the Twin Cities are keeping fans away. Wisky fans are tired of Eaves and apathy from Alvarez and are filled with hopelessness. No one in East Lansing cares about Wisky or PSU and the fact TA is probably going to be back another season just compounds the issue. Red is a chicken shlt who would rather schedule Dartmouth and Robert Morris and home and homes with Union and RPI than play the local schools. The Big 14 ruined college hockey.

Thanks for nothing.
              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                These teams are being doubly punished for their poor teams. Goofer fans are especially angry. Expensive tickets and none of the old rivalries, plus lots of entertainment options in the Twin Cities are keeping fans away. Wisky fans are tired of Eaves and apathy from Alvarez and are filled with hopelessness. No one in East Lansing cares about Wisky or PSU and the fact TA is probably going to be back another season just compounds the issue. Red is a chicken shlt who would rather schedule Dartmouth and Robert Morris and home and homes with Union and RPI than play the local schools. The Big 14 ruined college hockey.

Thanks for nothing.
                So apparently, it sucks to be you. Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  So apparently, it sucks to be you. Good luck with that.
                  Did you find a defense yet? Good luck making it out of the first weekend with your embarrassing defense and awful goaltending. It would be quite the fitting way for Red to go out.
                  Last edited by Dirty Dream No. 2; 03-13-2016, 09:53 PM.
                  CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                    Did you find a defense yet? Good luck making it out of the first weekend with your embarrassing defense and awful goaltending. It would be quite the fitting way for Red to go out.
                    And a previously intelligent discussion bottoms out.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

ND was the belle of the ball when this all started. Everyone courted them. The NaCHo was the lead contender, as was mentioned, and when spurned, made SCSU go back on their previous statements, and had them join the conference.

As for WI, they might actually continue their downward spiral, as the school doesn't give 2 craps about them, and that's sad. Yes, as a MN fan, and a true hater, it's still sad. The Alaska schools? If they last another 3-4 years, I'll be surprised. As for a dark horse/WAG, I'd say CC isn't TOO far behind.

All in all, it's gonna get messier before things settle into a place that is like the pre-PSU days. A lot messier.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        ND was the belle of the ball when this all started. Everyone courted them. The NaCHo was the lead contender, as was mentioned, and when spurned, made SCSU go back on their previous statements, and had them join the conference.

As for WI, they might actually continue their downward spiral, as the school doesn't give 2 craps about them, and that's sad. Yes, as a MN fan, and a true hater, it's still sad. The Alaska schools? If they last another 3-4 years, I'll be surprised. As for a dark horse/WAG, I'd say CC isn't TOO far behind.

All in all, it's gonna get messier before things settle into a place that is like the pre-PSU days. A lot messier.
                        I remember when CC almost folded their team.

Of course I am not speaking for anybody else but college hockey isn't as fun anymore.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          Of course I am not speaking for anybody else but college hockey isn't as fun anymore.
                          I second this sentiment.

From a financial perspective, I don't see any way that realignment has not been a major negative for all the teams impacted. Revenue is down AND expenses are up. That's never a good combination, particularly when it's clear that isn't a temporary situation that should improve in the short term.

I really believe that had the non-BIG teams had remained in a 10 team WCHA and 9 team CCHA they would be in much better financial outlook.

Comment

Has the WCHA considered playing a truly unbalanced schedule, playing fewer games against the Alaska schools with those two playing each other much more often? The NAHL does that with Fairbanks and Kenai River playing each other 16 times during the season. Each of the other 8 schools could play one of the Alaska schools in a 3-game series each year. That would mean they go to Alaska once every other year. Each Alaska school would only play four 3-game series in the lower 48 each year.

Edit: That should read "two 3-game series in the lower 48 each year".
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-14-2016, 07:46 AM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Has the WCHA considered playing a truly unbalanced schedule, playing fewer games against the Alaska schools with those two playing each other much more often? The NAHL does that with Fairbanks and Kenai River playing each other 16 times during the season. Each of the other 8 schools could play one of the Alaska schools in a 3-game series each year. That would mean they go to Alaska once every other year. Each Alaska school would only play four 3-game series in the lower 48 each year.
                              Listen, if it's that or somebody drops there's no question which is better,
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I didn't pay any attention to hockey for several years. So was shocked to come back and see the CCHA gone. We're 90 minutes from Goggin, but I can't get as excited about Denver or SCSU as I do about Ferris, Lake Superior, BG or to be candid, UAH. But not Oh State. Meh. Sorry.
                                Really wish there was an I65/75 conference and GA Tech or Vandy would go Div I, but even without them, if I was to daydream in bits and bytes...
                                LSSU, Ferris, Western, BG, ND, MU, UAH, maybe Northern and Tech. Maybe Robert Morris, Maybe Niagara, or maybe the Uncle Sugar twins (AFA/ Army) instead. My daydream stops short of a lot of detail.

Comment

Working...
                                X