AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"

BTW- while this maybe the opposite of what people see the WCHA doing, but a reasonable option is to help other western schools get hockey going.

There are some out there- similar to how ASU *might* get some P12 schools going. But that would let the WCHA split east/west, and be big enough to not force all teams to travel to Alaska more than once a year.

That's not going to help the tournament at all, as you get a bunch of new small schools. But that does get you less travel, with a TV deal, more eyes, etc. And there are western schools that want to add hockey. Well, I know of one. But it's a long, long way off.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      How about just rephrasing it to - the WCHA and the CCHA didn't have to break apart- they had two solid conferences even after losing 2 or 3 teams... That way, nobody is accused of being greedy (other than the B1G)...

It's one thing for a set of teams that are in a larger conference to be a hockey conference, it's another for teams to go out and form a conference because other teams are not willing to put hockey on some kind of mountain.
      Spot on. I actually never even thought the B1G deserved "blame" for what happened in college hockey. Sure they got the dominoes falling but the real issue was always the formation of the NCHC and how the other teams decided to deal with that. While I don't think the B1G hockey conference has necessarily been good for the 6 teams in it, I don't think it has been bad for college hockey.

Miss the back and forth with you UM posters, by the way. I never post anymore and only even occasionally lurk. I actually came online to see how my fellow Irish hockey fans were reacting to our *ahem* efforts this weekend and see we don't even have an active thread! Your boys showed up at both ends of the ice this weekend. Had to give the team a jolt of confidence heading into the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
        Miss the back and forth with you UM posters, by the way. I never post anymore and only even occasionally lurk. I actually came online to see how my fellow Irish hockey fans were reacting to our *ahem* efforts this weekend and see we don't even have an active thread! Your boys showed up at both ends of the ice this weekend. Had to give the team a jolt of confidence heading into the postseason.
        Me, too. And I miss getting together with fellow CCHA fans in Detroit every year. At the moment, the B1G does nothing compared to what little the CCHA did to promote the tournament. So we meet and BS with nobody.

It is what it is....

Comment

Spot on. I actually never even thought the B1G deserved "blame" for what happened in college hockey. Sure they got the dominoes falling but the real issue was always the formation of the NCHC and how the other teams decided to deal with that. While I don't think the B1G hockey conference has necessarily been good for the 6 teams in it, I don't think it has been bad for college hockey.

If it hasn't been bad for college hockey, why is attendance down at at least half the schools in the B10, NCHC and WCHA? Why is conference attendance dropped so much? Why do the so called "Big Time" programs refuse to visit the smaller schools without at least a 2 for 1 deal?
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Far West conference: ASU, USAFA, CC, DU, AK, UAA
            WCHA3: UNO, UND, BSU, SCSU, UMM, UMD, MTU
            CCHA2: UAH, BGSU, FSU, WMU, NMU, LSSU, MIA

It's ugly, but ancient rivalries restored, travel reduced, money can be made, though the FWC does make me wince and filling OOC for some of the FWC schools may be an issue.
            I would hope MTU, Minnesota State, and Bemidji would not even consider joining that Motley group. The only team in that mix Tech has any affinity for is UMD besides its current WCHA brethren.

I am not sure what will happen, but that proposal stinks in my opinion.
            Last edited by Huskiefan906; 03-13-2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I thought it was particularly interesting that the WCHA wants to ADD teams. This would allow them to have two divisions which would lessen travel. That makes sense to me.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

DD get your act together, this topic has been discussed non stop for quite a while. Where have you been.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  If it hasn't been bad for college hockey, why is attendance down at at least half the schools in the B10, NCHC and WCHA? Why is conference attendance dropped so much? Why do the so called "Big Time" programs refuse to visit the smaller schools without at least a 2 for 1 deal?
                  Because the teams are struggling?

For whatever reason, fans are fair weather- they want to see a team winning. Michigan may be having a good year, but this NCAA birth is the first in 3 seasons. Wisconsin is down for some reason. MSU is down for some reason. OSU is not a hockey school. PSU is doing incredibly well, with attendance over capacity this year. Had this taken place in the old conferences, the same thing would be happening.

Besides, the entire B1G is in the top 11 overall for attendance.

Not going to speak for the other conferences. If you want to take it out on the B1G for wanting to play as a conference just like they do in every other sport, that's your energy. But the WCHA and CCHA still had a great conference. Unless you think the B1G schools were that important. Which I thought that Northern fans always tried to talk down, and thought the CCHA always favored MSU unfairly...

Comment

A misconception here needs to be corrected. No where will you find anything that says Notre Dame wanted to go anywhere when all of this was happening. They in fact were the last team to land. It was only when the NCHC was being formed and Miami (and later Western Michigan) indicated they would leave the CCHA -- leaving it in an untenable position whether or not Notre Dame was a part of it -- that Notre Dame began to consider finding a new league was in its best interest. Jeff Jackson repeatedly stated that his first choice was that the CCHA remain a viable league, something that was probably possible with the 8 teams that remained. When the NCHC formed, Notre Dame briefly considered that to be the best spot for them. But a pizzing match with the power structure there over TV contracts was in the offing and only after MU, WMU and the NCHC announced partnerships and the TV tussle ensued did Notre Dame decide to accept the Hockey East invitation. Any other interpretation of the way the events unfolded might be fun, but they ain't correct.
                    ND also told the WCHA flat out they weren't interested in joining their league. They could have joined the WCHA and had FSU and BGSU right near by. They already knew the costs of traveling to the UP. Nope, NCHC or flights to "like minded schools" in Hockey East were what they wanted.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The savings aren't as great as you'd think when you add an extra 4 days of hotels, meals, ice rental, workout facilities, etc. Then you add that an 11 day trip means you have to find activities for the players or they get stuck spending a lot of hotel time. That 11 day trip, as any 11 day trip anywhere for anyone, is extremely fatiguing. I know of a couple coaches who have done it and thought it was a good idea at the time, but would rather do two trips the next time they double dip Alaska.
                      Are you forgetting the subsidies from UAF and UAA to travel up here? That alone has to represent some kind of cost savings.

As for teams taking a two week roadie up here, boo hoo. We got stuck doing it twice this year in the lower 48. It rubs us, and our respective programs, the wrong way when we are expected to conform to whatever is handed to us, with no regard to our own academic schedules, and yet other schools howl and whine over doing the exact same travel process that UAF and UAA have been doing for decades.

Yeah, I know, we are far away, nobody comes unless we pay for it, etc.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Also, I'd be curious if the WCHA would still be bleeding money if it didn't have the Alaska teams or UAH.

My guess is it still would...the travel costs are subsidized to those three schools and the distances between all the other schools aren't going to change. The bigger problem, IMO, is the limited payout from the conference tournament, dwindling attendance, and a lack of media exposure.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          Also, I'd be curious if the WCHA would still be bleeding money if it didn't have the Alaska teams or UAH.

My guess is it still would...the travel costs are subsidized to those three schools and the distances between all the other schools aren't going to change. The bigger problem, IMO, is the limited payout from the conference tournament, dwindling attendance, and a lack of media exposure.
                          Even with the subsidy, the cost to travel to Fairbanks or Anchorage is basically still double what it costs us to visit Bemidji or Bowling Green.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Are you forgetting the subsidies from UAF and UAA to travel up here? That alone has to represent some kind of cost savings.

As for teams taking a two week roadie up here, boo hoo. We got stuck doing it twice this year in the lower 48. It rubs us, and our respective programs, the wrong way when we are expected to conform to whatever is handed to us, with no regard to our own academic schedules, and yet other schools howl and whine over doing the exact same travel process that UAF and UAA have been doing for decades.

Yeah, I know, we are far away, nobody comes unless we pay for it, etc.
                            I don't dispute any of your points. In fact, I agree with them.

Comment

Even with the subsidy, the cost to travel to Fairbanks or Anchorage is basically still double what it costs us to visit Bemidji or Bowling Green.
                              How does the math work out? Not disputing you, just curious.

Comment

How does the math work out? Not disputing you, just curious.
                                There is a set amount that Fairbanks pays, an amount that UAA pays and another that UAH pays. The amount is constant, doesn't vary from NMU to Bowling Green to LSSU. So while the actual dollar amount paid to Mankato or NMU stays the same, the percentage of cost it absorbs varies because it's much cheaper to get to Anchorage from Mankato or Bowling Green than it is from NMU or Bemidji.
                                Last edited by davyd83; 03-13-2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X