• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IrishHockeyFan
    replied
    Re: AP: New WCHA "bleeding money"

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    If it hasn't been bad for college hockey, why is attendance down at at least half the schools in the B10, NCHC and WCHA? Why is conference attendance dropped so much? Why do the so called "Big Time" programs refuse to visit the smaller schools without at least a 2 for 1 deal?
    I guess I wasn't clear enough in the point I tried to make when I posted "While I don't think the B1G hockey conference has necessarily been good for the 6 teams in it, I don't think it has been bad for college hockey." What has happened has not be good, but it wasn't the B1G that caused this suffering, it was the change in the WCHA and the folding of the CCHA that was brought about because of a few other schools reacting in such a knee-jerk way. Had everyone simply stayed put, many schools would be better off than they are today, and some greatly so. Many would be at the same level. Few would be in a worse position.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    A strip of grass or pavement that divides a highway.
    Could have fooled some of us... we see a Jersey barrier.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Must have had a curb. I tripped over that one.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Good news! Once the B1G prevents 23 and 24 year olds from playing against their 17 and 18 year olds who are recruited to the hockey team to get their degree, all these travel issues go away.
    Ryan J

Leave a comment:

• John Biasi
    replied

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    This might be the best take I've read on this in the 5 or so years of the "Big Mistake" debate. If you had told NoDak, Denver, and Notre Dame back in 2011 that in the spring of 2016, Wisconsin will be in its second straight year of being in the 40s in the Pairwise, the Gophers will need to win the Big tourney to make the NCAA field and will have lost 11 of their last 12 against other MN schools, and OSU and MSU will still be mediocre, I don't think there would have been any panic to bust up the WCHA and CCHA. There was a huge concern that we were headed down the road of college football, where most teams enter the year knowing they have zero chance of even getting to the playoffs, let alone winning anything. That hasn't happened, and doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon, but no one knew that at the time, so those schools made a move that they thought was necessary to keep them relevant.
    In 2011, Michigan was highest ranked B1G team in the PairWise (6th to be precise). Minnesota was the next highest at 19th. CCHA members Miami, Western Michigan and Notre Dame were all in the top 11. North Dakota, Denver and Minnesota-Duluth were in the top nine. When two leagues have more than a 25 percent share a piece in the playoff rankings and the other three leagues (and one future) combine for less than half, you have to doubt that the panic was exclusively about on-ice competition. It's obvious judging by that season's results, the CCHA and WCHA could have been more than competitive staying intact.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

I always love that one....

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    What's the median?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

What's the median?

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Average is also a terrible metric to use. Median would be much better.
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

I get that's what it shows. But I think it's misleading. Especially given that Minnesota's costs have gone up.
    it shows that the Minnesota's has gone up...they went from the geographic center to the outlier, even though the distances for the new conference are smaller...

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Average is also a terrible metric to use. Median would be much better.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I get that's what it shows. But I think it's misleading. Especially given that Minnesota's costs have gone up.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to show. The maps I posted paint a fairly clear image as to why this was a terrible idea geographically.
    And the WCHA is massively biased by the two AK teams, which by many accounts, have survived some way, somehow.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to show. The maps I posted paint a fairly clear image as to why this was a terrible idea geographically.
    It shows the geographic center and average distance of each conference...

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X