Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Third year watching the WJC, and I like it more every year. I guess it helps that five Badgers have gold medals from those three years (Turris & Goloubef w/ Canada). Great stuff!

D-Step would look great w/ the Captain's C on his chest next season in the Cardinal and White. That ugly Rangers jersey can wait another season, he dominated against his age group, stay another year and play against the older players in the WCHA.

As for the 2nd half lineup, I hope Eaves sees that putting Thurber in an offensive position (aka not the 4th line to grind) is where he does his best work. He wasn't top 10 or 15 in USHL scoring in his last season there because he was grinding it out. He has the talent, and showed it this weekend, and I'd like to see him in there on one of the "scoring" lines. Sit Mitchell for a few games to send a message, put Thurber in there, and move someone to Geoffrion's line (like Davies). I still think the Bohmber played way better at LW on Geoffrion's line that Mitchell has so far, plus he does the hard work that frees up Geoffrion and Smith. Mitchell is only useful in front of the net right now.

I agree w/ EoDS, the Badgers tied Yale, while the shootout was exciting, it only matter to decide the tourney since someone HAD to win that.
    Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
    Originally posted by UWisco
    It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has concerns about Mitchell. On the one hand, we've sat him twice & lost both games (if I remember correctly). On the other, I remember feeling that he was one of the most effective players on the team once we started winning games last season.

I for one was thanking my lucky stars when nobody decided to sign him in the off season. Now, I guess I'm seeing why the scouts didn't jump on him.

I do hope Stepan stays around for another year. He'd surely get to wear the C. I've got to think that Eaves is thinking about making him the 2nd line center after what he saw at the WJC. Nothing against Street, but Stepan's more effective.

Ramage was also tremendous in the WJC. I think I heard his name almost as often as Stepan's last night. He's just such a talented defensive D-man. I think we'd have at least another half dozen goals against this year on silly B Smith mistakes if it weren't for this kid stepping up (that's not to complain about Brendan, we're certainly in the + for having his scoring talent, but you've got to admit that he's just stupid with the puck in the defensive zone sometimes).

Who are you looking forward to watching in the second half, and for that matter, who's got you scared?

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not think Stepan will stay after this year. During the WJC, there was a scout on saying that if a player can really standout at the WJC, they should go to the NHL.

I do think Stepan should stay but I doubt he will. UW does need his scoring next year with the loss of Geoff, and Davies and B. Smith.( I don't think he will be coming back either)

I am looking forward to the Denver series, UW needs to win a few against Denver and drop that terrible streak Denver has on UW at the Kohl Center

Comment

Originally posted by Red Till I'm Dead! View Post
          Unfortunately, I do not think Stepan will stay after this year. During the WJC, there was a scout on saying that if a player can really standout at the WJC, they should go to the NHL.
          One thing I'd say about this is that he's not the biggest guy ever. I wonder if he needs to bulk up a bit before moving up. The thing that UW coaches can point out is the Kyle Turris situation.

In standing near them both, they appear to be of the same build and clearly Turris was not ready physically(or mentally) for the NHL and now he is in the minors.

That said, my gut says he'll be gone if the Rangers ask him to. Kinda getting used to the early departures, unfortunately.

Bring in the next guy!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
            As we move into the second half of the season and Stepan is back and Murray is heathy, we have a bit of a log jam at forward again. What do you do with Dolan and Thurber. For the UND series and the Showdown, Thurber was in my opinion one of the better Badgers on the ice. During the Showdown I thought Dolan provided some spark to the 4th line, so who goes where.

The line that I think needs to have a shake up is the Street line. Derek Lee has been given an opportunity to show what he can do (played well against UAA & Mich Tech) but disappeared against strong physical teams like North Dakota. When Stepan gets back to practice he will move back onto a line with Davies & Murray, and I think Blake's line will remain intact. I would like to see Thurber move to center between Bomber and Street. On the 4th line I would like to see Bendy between Grotting and Johnson/Dolan.

I think that these combos will make us better on both the offensive but also the defensive ends of the ice.

Just this guy's opinion.
            I agree with you and Gandalf that Thurber has to play on the top 3 lines somewhere. All he does is get assists when he plays. I'd be ok with him replacing Lee or Mitchell, or perhaps Smith on the top 3 lines somewhere. I'm not a big Mitchell fan, so I'd go that route.

I think it's important to get Geoffrion to score more 5 on 5 goals in the 2nd half.

Ramage....what round does he go in during the draft with his UW/WJr performances?
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Ramage....what round does he go in during the draft with his UW/WJr performances?
              Keep in mind he's already been passed up in the draft once. I'd say fourth/fifth round. He'll definitely be drafted now though. His stock continues to rise. But for as sound as he seems to be defensively, he's got a ton of work to do when he has control of the puck.

Comment

Back in September, I told you so. There were a couple who argued with me on here, even some players I know who I told to think twice about it.
                This from The Capital Times............

Players recruited for the Madison Ice Muskies minor league hockey team say the owners aren't financially supporting them.

Rich Jondo moved to Wisconsin from Baltimore to follow his dream of playing hockey for a living. The players say they were promised $400 a month, plus room and board from the owners, John and Gene Rudolph of Chicago. They say they got a paycheck in October, but nothing since. Dustin Henning says he even sold his car to pay for groceries.

WKOW-TV reports the Ice Muskies received an eviction notice from the Regent Apartments in downtown Madison. Coach Rod Davidson says the owners should live up to their commitment to the players.

The team owners did not immediately return a call seeking comment. The Ice Muskies play in the All-American Hockey League.

When are people going to learn that Madison cannot & will not support minor league "pro" hockey?
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  Back in September, I told you so. There were a couple who argued with me on here, even some players I know who I told to think twice about it.
                  This from The Capital Times............

Players recruited for the Madison Ice Muskies minor league hockey team say the owners aren't financially supporting them.

Rich Jondo moved to Wisconsin from Baltimore to follow his dream of playing hockey for a living. The players say they were promised $400 a month, plus room and board from the owners, John and Gene Rudolph of Chicago. They say they got a paycheck in October, but nothing since. Dustin Henning says he even sold his car to pay for groceries.

WKOW-TV reports the Ice Muskies received an eviction notice from the Regent Apartments in downtown Madison. Coach Rod Davidson says the owners should live up to their commitment to the players.

The team owners did not immediately return a call seeking comment. The Ice Muskies play in the All-American Hockey League.

When are people going to learn that Madison cannot & will not support minor league "pro" hockey?
                  It can be successful if the owners know what they are doing, these owners did not have a clue, no marketing, no promotions, whats unfortunate is they had a pretty good team, they were 2nd in the league i think
                  The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                    It can be successful if the owners know what they are doing, these owners did not have a clue, no marketing, no promotions, whats unfortunate is they had a pretty good team, they were 2nd in the league i think
                    Absolutely NOT. I have been there, seen that. As I wrote in September, it has been proven over the last 30+ years that minor league, Federal league, goon league, whatever the **** you want to call it, cannot and will not exist in Madison, Wisconsin.

Memo to the next "hockey experts" that come to Madison to invest in "minor league pro hockey" , "You're throwing your money away, just give it to me. I'd like to donate a 3rd sheet to Capitol Ice and build a big ****ing home in Vilas County."

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                      Wrong.

Every time that it's tried here it fails. This is a one team town.

Comment

I agree that it is difficult if not impossible for a minor league hockey team to survive in Madison. That's probably more true because it seems from the attitudes here on the board that many of the people who would need to support a team for it to be successful (big time hockey fans) are hostile towards or uninterested in a minor league team. For what it's worth, I went to an Ice Muskies game earlier in the year when the Badgers were off, had a really good time, and saw a pretty good hockey game that was of a higher quality than I went in expecting.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by bigus View Post
                          I agree that it is difficult if not impossible for a minor league hockey team to survive in Madison. That's probably more true because it seems from the attitudes here on the board that many of the people who would need to support a team for it to be successful (big time hockey fans) are hostile towards or uninterested in a minor league team. For what it's worth, I went to an Ice Muskies game earlier in the year when the Badgers were off, had a really good time, and saw a pretty good hockey game that was of a higher quality than I went in expecting.
                          Speaking for myself, I'm not hostile towards it and as a rule I'm not uninterested in minor league hockey. I believe that they put a team in LaCrosse at one point in the LaCrosse Center, where I used to live and there is no college team. I would have gone to that for sure.

But I live here and have Badger tickets and only want to see, and only have enough time to see a certain amount of live hockey. Why would I go to a MINOR minor league game? I also follow the Blackhawks with the Center Ice package to the tune of 82 games, have a son that plays 2-4 games a weekend and play a couple of times a week myself.

The WJC nearly put me over the top. I just don't have time or interest in more hockey and wouldn't go to a lesser level than the Badgers when I clearly have a choice.

Just my .02

Comment

I'd echo Gurtholfin. I have Fri and Sat night tickets. I barely have enough time for that, and I don't have a family. More hockey? No room for it.

Comment

Our 3 (4 with Oz) WJC Gold Medal winners will be honored before the U-18 game Saturday night. They won't be playing, but they deserve some time off.

Let's be sure to give them a boisterous ovation!
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-08-2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Our 3 (4 with Oz) WJC Gold Medal winners will be honored before the U-18 game Saturday night. They won't be playing, but they deserve some time off.

Let's be sure to give them a boisterous ovation!
                                The "Crease Creatures" (in quotes because... well... it's winter break, so only 1/4 of them will be there) should take this opportunity to learn the U-20's "do or die" chant.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...cker-room.html

I can think of no better tribute.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X