Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    So how did this Little possibly redshirting get past all the UW insiders?

On the redshirt concept, is it strictly the coach's call to redshirt a guy, or does he have to get the player's concent for it to happen? Can player a tell a coach he wants to be redshirted and then get the coach's concent?

Happy new year to all the UW fans and may the Lord richly bless you in the new year!
    I think its a bit of a mutual thing but if your in a position like Little, and you probably aren't going to play in more than two games, and your not going to play pro hockey, why not take a redshirt year?

Comment

So how did this Little possibly redshirting get past all the UW insiders?
      Well I did predict it in the off-season thread

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
      I was actually going to suggest they redshirt Little or Springer. Both have a very similiar skill-set, neither is a offensive minded or defensive minded d-man, more of a balanced type. One of them is going to be the 9th man in the rotation. So why not? Ramage is a defensive minded guy which is sorely needed with this group so I don't see him sitting this season. Mauer definitely needs to redshirt IMO.

Last edited by sweatpants; 01-01-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        I think its a bit of a mutual thing but if your in a position like Little, and you probably aren't going to play in more than two games, and your not going to play pro hockey, why not take a redshirt year?
        I wouldn't say Little won't play pro hockey, but he has little downside to spending another year of development at UW before he has to try and use an ATO to stick with an AHL or ECHL team.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
          I wouldn't say Little won't play pro hockey, but he has little downside to spending another year of development at UW before he has to try and use an ATO to stick with an AHL or ECHL team.
          I agree, pro hockey probably wansn't the term I should have used. But he won't be an NHL or (most likely) even an AHL guy. The extra time coupled with the addition of his brother to next years team makes a ton of sense.

I've tried to project out our defensemen over the next few years. What do you guys think? In looking at our projected rosters, I still don't see Little getting a ton of PT over the next few seasons but we shall see.

*=Projected top 6 defenseman

2010-11 (8)

Ryan McDonagh-Leaves for NHL
          Brendan Smith-Leaves for NHL
          Cody Goloubef-Leaves for NHL

Senior-Craig Johnson*
          Junior-Jake Gardiner*
          Junior-Eric Springer*
          Sophomore-Justin Schultz*
          Sophomore-John Ramage*
          Sophomore-Ryan Little
          Freshman-Frankie Simonelli*
          Freshman-Chase Drake

2011-2012 (8)

Jake Gardiner-Leaves for NHL

Senior-Eric Springer*
          Junior-Justin Schultz*
          Junior-John Ramage*
          Junior-Ryan Little
          Sophomore-Frankie Simonelli*
          Sophomore-Chase Drake
          Freshman-Troy Hesketh*
          Freshman-Jake McCabe*

2012-2013 (8)

Justin Schultz-Leaves for NHL

Senior-John Ramage*
          Senior-Ryan Little*
          Junior-Frankie Simonelli*
          Junior-Chase Drake
          Sophomore-Troy Hesketh*
          Sophomore-Jake McCabe*
          Freshman-Jordan Schmaltz*
          Freshman-Joe Fiala/Barrett Kaib (projected possible commitments)
          Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 01-02-2010, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I agree, pro hockey probably wansn't the term I should have used. But he won't be an NHL or (most likely) even an AHL guy. The extra time coupled with the addition of his brother to next years team makes a ton of sense.

I've tried to project out our defensemen over the next few years. What do you guys think? In looking at our projected rosters, I still don't see Little getting a ton of PT over the next few seasons but we shall see.
            I agree with your projections, but to be fair:
            1.) Injuries Happen.
            2.) Early departures often happen earlier than expected.
            3.) Freshmen acclimation periods vary.

Comment

I
              I've tried to project out our defensemen over the next few years. What do you guys think? In looking at our projected rosters, I

Senior-John Ramage*
              I don't think Ramage makes it all the way to his senior year. Perhaps his Jr. year at max.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I don't think Ramage makes it all the way to his senior year. Perhaps his Jr. year at max.
                At the rate he's going I agree.

Comment

13,962 in attendance at the shootout tonight. Maybe a little nostalgia going on?

Comment

If you didn't see Yale tonight you will be in for a treat tomorow. Hope you guys are ready to skate!
                    -------------
                    Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                      13,962 in attendance at the shootout tonight. Maybe a little nostalgia going on?
                      No way were there that many there as the students weren't all there. That's probably the tickets sold amount.

I will say that there was a surprising number of folks in the third tier though. Was it a 4-pack night?

Crowd was morgue-like until the end when things got tight.

I have to say that I love the intro video heritage of Wisconsin hockey thing that they're doing now. They should bring some of those old teams/players/coaches back to honor them from time to time.

UW could certainly do more to honor the past and that video is a decent start.

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
                        If you didn't see Yale tonight you will be in for a treat tomorow. Hope you guys are ready to skate!
                        We'll need to play better tomorrow and if we do, it should be a good game. Two top 10 teams battling for the final Badger Showdown title.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          No way were there that many there as the students weren't all there. That's probably the tickets sold amount.

I will say that there was a surprising number of folks in the third tier though. Was it a 4-pack night?

Crowd was morgue-like until the end when things got tight.

I have to say that I love the intro video heritage of Wisconsin hockey thing that they're doing now. They should bring some of those old teams/players/coaches back to honor them from time to time.

UW could certainly do more to honor the past and that video is a decent start.
                          Yeah, I couldn't make it to the game so I was following the live blog on uwbadgers.com, the guy running the blog claimed the 13,962 number was actual attendance, not tickets sold. I didn't believe it either.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                            Yeah, I couldn't make it to the game so I was following the live blog on uwbadgers.com, the guy running the blog claimed the 13,962 number was actual attendance, not tickets sold. I didn't believe it either.
                            It was a single ticket night, that number also includes the 1500 people who left after the Yale - Ferris State Game.

Comment

Did anybody see the point where Craig Smith got hurt? I was at the game and didn't notice that he wasn't on the ice until a few minutes into the 3rd. I just read Baggot's article about it being an apparent arm injury.

I'm sure more info will come out in the next few days. Here's hoping it's nothing serious. He's gonna be important to our "O" down the stretch, especially if he can decide to stay out of the box.
                              University of Wisconsin: NCAA Champions 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

I agree! Although I did not approve of them switching up and playing the intro after the badgers have entered the ice, that intro is pretty sweet.

I saw the second and third periods of the Yale game and I agree...they looked fast and strong. We better play one of our best games so far if we want to make it a good game tonight.
                                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X