Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Originally posted by aktick View Post
    Bored sitting around watching football, I was curious just how badly UW has been outshooting the opponents this year...

UW: 39.4 shots per game, 3.8 goals per game
    Opponents: 21.8 shots per game, 1.9 goals per game

DotA, anybody?

Screw that...DotA and OotA! Take that!
    I guess UND has the DotA instead of UW.

UND: 35.4 shots per game, 3.5 goals per game
    Opponents: 20.9 shots per game, 1.7 goals per game

I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      I guess UND has the DotA instead of UW.

UND: 35.4 shots per game, 3.5 goals per game
      Opponents: 20.9 shots per game, 1.7 goals per game

Pfffft, stats. Who needs 'em?

Comment

Robbie Earl scored his first 2 NHL goals this afternoon for the Wild against the Canes.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
          Anyone know what was with Geoffrion tonight? He had a mean streak going from the start and went after the UAA players after the whistle quite a bit. He played very well, but usually he's not the type of player to be involved with scuffles. Usually McDonaugh takes care of that. Good series. We need to take at least 2 points next weekend. It looks like SCSU is tough, tough as they beat UND tonight.
          That is his role as one of the captains, keep the energy on the bench, inspire the other guys to play that way, Mcdonagh and Street are more the quiet type captains, geoffrion is going to get his feet dirty and keep things interesting and he is doing a great job at so far this season. I have really yet to see this team plat "soft" this season, they are always hitting and aggressive, and the have to be...

All together is was a great weekend, some much needed points at home, some confidence going to SCSU, Street had a great weekend so I look for him to continue to catch his stride after being out for so long. Looks like our D is set for the season baring any injuries and it is a heck of a D-core, and they get better every week
          The Quest For 7

Comment

I think Gudmanson is the better goalie after this weekend. Sure, Bennett played ok on Friday, but Guddy makes better saves and hasn't really given up a softie yet this year. That said, neither of them is that much better than the other so we'll see a lot of platooning for the remainder of the year. If we get 2 points up at SCSU, I will consider the series a success.
            Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Stepan has been a little MIA lately, though I didn't see the Friday game.

C Smith is going to be a scoring machine at this level. He's so good in tight spaces.

Fix the PP aleady. It's too complicated. Pass, pass shoot. How about shooting off the pass from the point? That will lessen the chances of the shot getting blocked. UW really hasn't converted on very many rebounds this year.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Anyone else feel better about scoring when our PK is out instead of our PP?
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

C Smith is going to be a scoring machine at this level. He's so good in tight spaces.

Fix the PP aleady. It's too complicated. Pass, pass shoot. How about shooting off the pass from the point? That will lessen the chances of the shot getting blocked. UW really hasn't converted on very many rebounds this year.
                  Our PP is holding us back from being a great team.

Good thing is that our PK is pretty solid.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                    Anyone else feel better about scoring when our PK is out instead of our PP?
                    Me {raises hand}

Anybody know how many shortys have been scored against us this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

i'm not sure MIA is the right word, maybe from the score sheet but he has created more scoring chances then any other forward, he has undressed D-man on a weekly basis, he is just a little snake bit right now as far as putting it in the net and you can tell he is getting a little frustrated but with the amount of chances he is getting it won't be long before he erupts, and when the goals finally come, they will come in bunches, he is playing too well right now. I noticed it with BEn Street to start the year as well and now the numbers are starting to come for him as well. So MIA is not the correct way to put it, unless you are blind.

As far as the PP, i don't know if McBain was just that important to it with his ability to get pucks to the net or what but we seem to be more successful when we get those slower wrist shots low on net and bang in front for rebounds rather then trying to set up Smith with a one timer or davies on the back door. It just seems like they should get back tot he KISS method and use our size in front to our advantage. I would rather see Goloubef out on the 1st unit then schultz just because Goloubef seems to be better at getting the puck through traffic and on net. IMO
                      The Quest For 7

Comment

I think Gudmanson is the better goalie after this weekend. Sure, Bennett played ok on Friday, but Guddy makes better saves and hasn't really given up a softie yet this year. That said, neither of them is that much better than the other so we'll see a lot of platooning for the remainder of the year. If we get 2 points up at SCSU, I will consider the series a success.
                        Its difficult to tell because neither of them have faced very many shots or good scoring chances. Both have come up big at times, this weekend may give us a little more of a picture for 2 reasons. Its a tough road series at a place where we have struggled to put good back to back efforts which means at least 1 of them will get tested one of the nights. 2nd reason, SCSU can score goals, i don't think they are the offensive force a lot of other people do but they are talented and will challenge out D similar to minnesota did. (And our D responded well against Minn i thought) But SCSU can score in bunches so they have to stay alert at all times and not take any shifts off. hopefully that is something that is stressed this week.
                        The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
                          Students: Please stop the "it's all your fault" in the midst of the sieve drum-roll. It's horrible, it's wrong, our sieve cheer is marvelous as is without your crap, just knock it off. Inform the goaltender it's all his fault after we've finished the standard sieve, that's fine. I'm all in favor of ripping on the goalie; it's all his fault, he is a sieve, vacuum, and blackhole, he just sucks, and he takes it the ear. Absolutely. Just don't **** with the classic post goal cheer; do your additional stuff after.
                          yes. HATE IT.

Comment

Anyone know what was with Geoffrion tonight? He had a mean streak going from the start and went after the UAA players after the whistle quite a bit. He played very well, but usually he's not the type of player to be involved with scuffles. Usually McDonaugh takes care of that. Good series. We need to take at least 2 points next weekend. It looks like SCSU is tough, tough as they beat UND tonight.
                            He was getting whacked, hacked, jacked, you name it, and finally had enough. I saw a few of them on Saturday night. I watched my recording before the Packer game ( ), but didn't see much. I'm sure he wasn't an innocent bystander, but I really never saw anything he did to initiate some of the slashes.

Ben Dickson had a helluva weekend didn't he?

I agree with the "new" Sieve chant...stop it. I would like to meet the guy who started this crap and throw him from section 300. The chant has evolved from the early years - kind of like slow rolling thunder (siiiiiiiiiiiiiiv, siiiiiiiiiiiiiv, siiiiiiiiiiiiv) - to the quick siv, siv, siv, siv. This new one sux.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
                              Please stop the "it's all your fault" in the midst of the sieve drum-roll. It's horrible, it's wrong, our sieve cheer is marvelous as is without your crap, just knock it off. Inform the goaltender it's all his fault after we've finished the standard sieve, that's fine. I'm all in favor of ripping on the goalie; it's all his fault, he is a sieve, vacuum, and blackhole, he just sucks, and he takes it the ear. Absolutely. Just don't **** with the classic post goal cheer; do your additional stuff after.
                              On one hand: Don't mess with what works.

On the other hand: "It's all your fault" is the only modification I can recall ever since I first went to a Badger game in 2002. Plus, even if I'd prefer the "it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, I can appreciate that adding "it's all your fault" is a little bit more rythmic than waiting for the entire drum cadence before saying anything. And, to MCR's point: It's not like the sieve cheer has taken that classic foghorn-like sound for as long as I've been around. Even if its faster than you're used to from back in the day, its not exactly like the "sivsivsivsiv" that you're describing. If you think our current cheer is fast, just look at what the hosers to the west of us do. If our cheer is at ~1.25 Hz (just a guess), the people in St. Cloud, Minneapolis, Duluth and Grand Forks are clocking in at 2 or 3 Hz.

If I were still in the student section, I'd like to try to incorporate the "foghorn" sieve into my cheering repertoire. But, I see a few problems. (1) It seems like it will no longer fit into our drum-led cadence for post-goal celebrations (what's the drummer going to do, wait two measures before he strikes the cymbal? Ignore how silly that would sound, I gaurantee you he get's the "freshman drummer" chant the first time he tries, then gives up.) You'd have better success trying to bring back the foghorn as the "while play is still going on" Sieve cheer. (2) If I learned nothing over my tenure as a Crease Creature, it's this: you can only go so far in dictating how the cheers go. It's hard work trying to change 3000 minds. About the only thing I was able to accomplish in five years was to replace every word in "On Wisconsin" with "Sieve". Even then, I wouldn't be shocked if that was something some of you other old people disapprove of. (3) Remember how often we've talked on this board about bringing back the Rumble Rink?

(Go ahead and file this under "Devil's Advocate")
                              Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                (3) Remember how often we've talked on this board about bringing back the Rumble Rink? (Go ahead and file this under "Devil's Advocate")
                                Man, it's funny you brought that up...I was telling Mrs MCR Saturday night that I hate the new sieve chant so much I was going to shock fans at the next home series. Get some red and white tights, some face paint...I'd find somewhere up high to recite the Rumblerink, but get arrested for taunting by the Kohl SS Troops. You should have seen the look I got from her, because she knew I was somewhat serious. Should've done it on Halloween dammit.

I don't mind the *circle finger* SIV, sivsivsivsivsiv with the cadence, it's evolution and pretty groovy, errrrr cool.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X