Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    You know, I'm aware that it's popular to trash officials but I can't recall the last time I left a game feeling like the refs really mucked a game up. A poor call here and there but I feel like it's much more common in basketball and football to feel as though the refs truly impacted a game.

Just my observation, I guess.
    Really badly called a game that it changed the outcome, sure.

But every time I think that we are getting bad or missed calls, I also see bad and missed calls going the other way. And posts complaining the same. In other words- the WCHA and CCHA refs that the B1G got are not all that great.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Appreciate the follow-up. With your info, plus a quick web search, I now have a much clearer picture of where the new building will be.

By way of quick explanation, our strategy back at the FFFF was to park between Greektown and Ford Field. Pre-game meal in Greektown. Once parked, we were able to forget about the car until after the games. While I'm not defending having playoff hockey in football stadiums, the neighborhood worked -- contrary to widely held stereotypes. That was my point. I wasn't trying to suggest that large numbers would be walking from Greektown to the new Joe.

I'm with you on this, and yet I'm not sure how much hope there is.

Whenever the topic of post-season sites arises, it seems that a large majority of fans will only travel to major vacation destinations. In other words, places where you'd be willing to spend a full week as tourist, with all of the expense and time off work that requires. Most Midwestern cities aren't going to pass that test. But it's the wrong test! The question is whether there's a good long weekend to be had. And the 'D' certainly gets over that hurdle -- again, contrary to widely held stereotypes.
      I'll bet that a lot of the parking for the new Joe will be at Comerica. There should be a lot of new spots near the new rink, too- but there's a great lot right on Woodward next to Comerica. Getting across I75 is fine- wide sidewalks.

The B1G does nothing to promote attendance at the tournament. Nothing. There could have been a table at each school the last two weeks talking about it, with hotels, etc. Easy. Not sure if the CCHA did anything at distant schools, but we always has something- to the point that I could tell them to promote the vacation as well as the games. For what the B1G uses the X and the Joe- they should rent some tiny little local rink with good camera angles.

Comment

Big ten officials are horrid. Nice guys, but I think they need a lot of work.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Really badly called a game that it changed the outcome, sure.

But every time I think that we are getting bad or missed calls, I also see bad and missed calls going the other way. And posts complaining the same. In other words- the WCHA and CCHA refs that the B1G got are not all that great.
          The CCHA refs were bad, the WCHA refs were bad, Hockey East posters say the HE refs are bad, where have all the good refs gone? Remember the good old days when games were officiated to perfection? I don't.

I haven't left a game this season ****ed about the officiating. Anybody who cannot grasp e concept of human error and the fact that they get the benefit of watching from the stands is a little dense. #Istandwithrefs

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
            The CCHA refs were bad, the WCHA refs were bad, Hockey East posters say the HE refs are bad, where have all the good refs gone? Remember the good old days when games were officiated to perfection? I don't.

I haven't left a game this season ****ed about the officiating. Anybody who cannot grasp e concept of human error and the fact that they get the benefit of watching from the stands is a little dense. #Istandwithrefs
            For you to take this so seriously tells me how crappy your team was this year. Holy cow.

It was a joke that the refs are not good enough to favor a team. Lighten up.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Big ten officials are horrid. Nice guys, but I think they need a lot of work.
              They are mostly ex-CCHA ref's.

Comment

B1G awards were announced http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hocke...031416aaa.html

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Schierhorn was the top GK?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Schierhorn was the top GK?
                    By Conference numbers who were they going to choose?

Comment

ok Gopher fans i need some help. I am coming in for the tournament and staying in Bloomington. I have a shuttle to the mall which gets me to the light rail and i know that i can take the light rail to the new Vkings stadium and get the red line from there but i dont know how close i can get to the X or where to even get off

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        ok Gopher fans i need some help. I am coming in for the tournament and staying in Bloomington. I have a shuttle to the mall which gets me to the light rail and i know that i can take the light rail to the new Vkings stadium and get the red line from there but i dont know how close i can get to the X or where to even get off
                        Blue line from MOM to Viking Stadium then Green Line to St. Paul. The Central Station stop will get you about 5-6 blocks from the X.
                        Metro Transit has a pretty good website, it may be easier to catch a bus from the MOM or airport to the X. It may even be easier to take a taxi....especially after the games.

http://www.metrotransit.org/central-station

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Haven't seen much buzz on the B1G Conference Tournament this weekend. Based on this past weekend's results it appears that it's Michigan's to lose, although it would be nice to see someone else (READ: Gophers!) take it so we'd have two teams from the conference in the NCAA's.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Haven't seen much buzz on the B1G Conference Tournament this weekend. Based on this past weekend's results it appears that it's Michigan's to lose, although it would be nice to see someone else (READ: Gophers!) take it so we'd have two teams from the conference in the NCAA's.
                            This might be the best of the 3 tournaments. Although Michigan might be the favorite it wouldnt surprise me if they lost that first game especially if its Penn State it is very hard to beat a team 5 times in a season. That stat also gives me hope if the Buckeyes get pasted Michigan State. They have played the Gophers tough all 4 times this year. It also wouldnt surprise me if Michigan wins either. Looking forward to a great 3 days of hockey.
                            Last edited by klbaum1077; 03-14-2016, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                              That is a pretty long ride. Once you get to the mall, it's about 30-40 minutes to DT Minneapolis and another 35-40 minutes or so to the X. If that's OK with you then it's a pretty quick walk once you get into DT St. Paul, and trains come every 10-15 minutes.
                              Get off at Central Station, head back the direction the train just came from and take your first left onto 5th. The X will be about 5 blocks up.

By comparison a cab would be about 20-30 minutes depending on where in Bloomington you are, but the fare would be about $30-$45 depending on where in Bloomington you are. If you are right off of hwys 494 and 77/Cedar it might be worth considering this option, at least coming back.

Not sure exactly what the busing options are, but I'm sure there is a line that runs from the mall directly into DT St. Paul that would probably be quicker than taking the trains. That might not be an option to get back after the night games, though.
                              Last edited by Stauber1; 03-14-2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                                That is a pretty long ride. Once you get to the mall, it's about 30-40 minutes to DT Minneapolis and another 30-40 minutes or so to the X. If that's OK with you then it's a pretty quick walk once you get into DT St. Paul, and trains come every 10-15 minutes.

By comparison a cab would be about 20-30 minutes depending on where in Bloomington you are, but the fare would be about $30-$45 depending on where in Bloomington you are. If you are right off of hwys 494 and 77/Cedar it might be worth considering this option, at least coming back.

Not sure exactly what the busing options are, but I'm sure there is a line that runs from the mall directly into DT St. Paul that would probably be quicker than taking the trains. That might not be an option to get back after the night games, though.
                                https://www.metrotransit.org/mobileroute/54

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X