Big Ten 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

In all this expansion talk, there are actually games tonight!

I've got
    OSU 3
    MSU 1

PSU 4
    UM 5

UW 1
    Minny 3
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Well, actually, you said:

Maybe it gets a few eyeballs, but virtually none that don't already have an expensive sports package. The BTN is not moving to a different tier because of hockey.
      I can say with all confidence that those games will get no eyeballs. But its the way it played out in NYC. Everyone in NYC said, we don't care if you add Rutgers or not...we're not watching. Pundits said it didn't matter as BTN would be added across the board. And it was. I don't understand the cable business ins and outs in say Tempe nearly well enough to say that adding ASU to the B1G will or will not make a difference. I just have to believe that if the B1G adds ASU it sees something there that I don't.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Not sure why you think the what the coaches think matters. It's what the AD's think.

ASU means a good backing with lots of money, a good base of alumni and fans, etc. And I don't think it's about the hockey playing AD's, but all of them.

It's also that ASU would be a major odd one out- and the #1 financial driver in any other conference.

This may be about a hockey team, but ASU could easily dominate based on their size and money in terms of conference discussions. Besides, when going to an ASU hockey game, as good as North Dakota, UNO, Denver et al are- with a serious lack of history at ASU, none of those mean a thing. Heck, even OSU means something to ASU.

I'm sure tDon wants 8 real B1G schools, and I agree with him. But this is about the immediate future and ASU.
      That's why I try to be crystal clear so posters don't jump down my throat. So I say the conferences will decide (and not the coaches) when the conferences will decide. And this will not be MI's or MN's ADs. This will be the handful of conference powerbrokers (i.e., Alvarez) and the B1G leaders (Delany will probably be involved).

I get why ASU would want to join the B1G for hockey purposes. I don't see anything B1G hockey fans get out of it. I have no doubt existing hockey fans would rather see a school that can win, that has tradition, and that has something of a rivalry with somebody. I don't think there's one Minnesotan that would be excited to see Miami join...but from a hockey standpoint, that would be better than adding a total unknown like ASU. Others may disagree...and IMHO.
      Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-11-2016, 04:53 PM.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Agreed that the focus should turn to tonight's games. But quickly:
        Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Since the CCHA always had some kind of on campus games, Michigan has been putting first round games at home in the season ticket package. At least for as long as I've been getting tickets- 1990. If they were not used (as three were in the pack) you could get a refund or donate the value. So because of that, the the home tournament games were sold out really well.
        Smaller Venue + More Demand + Included in Season Ticket = Better Results? Yup, I can see that. Especially the season ticket component. But I still say that sending the conference first round back to campus would be a negative both here and in Madison -- at the very least.

And given what we see on Thursday, I really would like to see that down to a 2 night weekend. The new Joe isn't going to help.
        Regarding the new Joe, you would know better than I. But in my admittedly limited experience with Downtown Detroit, the area from Greektown on up through Ford Field/Comerica/Fox Theater seems much more appealing the Joe's current location. And that's not even mentioning that the arena itself will be much nicer. Won't those things help, at least a little?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          ASU undergrad actually ranks higher than Rutgers, and their grad school programs (Education, Business, Fine Arts, etc.) all basically rank from top 10 to top 30 in the nation. They have the strong academic reputation in both the undergrad and grad programs that the Big Ten requires. Although you are right it is somewhat a party school...but what major college or university isn't today (with the exception of the "dry campus" I teach at )?
          You're missing the part where even with it as a reality, no one is really sure that Rutgers is a Big Ten school. Those standards did king of go out the window when we started accepting non-AAU schools. (Literally) stupid Cornhuskers...
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            You're missing the part where even with it as a reality, no one is really sure that Rutgers is a Big Ten school. Those standards did king of go out the window when we started accepting non-AAU schools. (Literally) stupid Cornhuskers...
            UNL was in the AAU when the Big Ten invited them. They were voted out months later, with help from fellow Big Ten members Michigan and your very own Badgers.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Do not besmirch Jockstock! This place needs more levity and not in a sad clown SCSU sort of way.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                "no one"!? Big Ten's AAU standard has not changed. UNL joined the AAU 107 years ago. Unfortunately it ranked at the bottom of the AAU's members for more than a decade based on the AAU ranking system which ranks all research universities. That ranking system consists of four criteria: research expenditures, National Academy members, faculty awards (from a specified list) and citations. They were actually invited and accepted into the Big Ten months BEFORE the AAU dismissed UNL in April 2011. I recall the chancellor at UNL stating that they would never have been invited to the Big Ten if they weren't AAU to begin with despite being voted against by Mich. and Wis.

However, it's important to note that research institutions in the AAU do not have the same ranking percentage weights that typically determine the overall academic standing of colleges and universities throughout the nation. Criteria are weighted based on the number of tenure-track faculty, graduation and retention rates, alumni support, student selectivity, etc. Based on those criteria, even a number of non-AAU institutions ranked higher than over 15 of the 63 AAU institutions, including UNL during their AAU membership period.

Notre Dame's lack of AAU membership didn't stop the Big Ten from trying to grab them a number of times, because of all the other strengths Notre Dame brings to the table. ND has a sterling reputation in undergrad education and since 2010 has made a significant push to become a leading research and graduate university. Notre Dame would probably love to be an AAU member to solidify its status but becoming a member is by invitation ONLY. They have not been invited yet, but could be in the very near future. I see no problem with ASU being accepted as a sport affiliate member in men's ice hockey based upon its academic reputation, despite being non-AAU. AAU Members

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO
                  "no one"!? Big Ten's AAU standard has not changed. UNL joined the AAU 107 years ago. Unfortunately it ranked at the bottom of the AAU's members for more than a decade based on the AAU ranking system which ranks all research universities. That ranking system consists of four criteria: research expenditures, National Academy members, faculty awards (from a specified list) and citations. They were actually invited and accepted into the Big Ten months BEFORE the AAU dismissed UNL in April 2011. I recall the chancellor at UNL stating that they would never have been invited to the Big Ten if they weren't AAU to begin with despite being voted against by Mich. and Wis.

However, it's important to note that research institutions in the AAU do not have the same ranking percentage weights that typically determine the overall academic standing of colleges and universities throughout the nation. Criteria are weighted based on the number of tenure-track faculty, graduation and retention rates, alumni support, student selectivity, etc. Based on those criteria, even a number of non-AAU institutions ranked higher than over 15 of the 63 AAU institutions, including UNL during their AAU membership period.

Notre Dame's lack of AAU membership didn't stop the Big Ten from trying to grab them a number of times, because of all the other strengths Notre Dame brings to the table. ND has a sterling reputation in undergrad education and since 2010 has made a significant push to become a leading research and graduate university. Notre Dame would probably love to be an AAU member to solidify its status but becoming a member is by invitation ONLY. They have not been invited yet, but could be in the very near future. I see no problem with ASU being accepted as a sport affiliate member in men's ice hockey based upon its academic reputation, despite being non-AAU.
                  Excellent post. The AAU is sort of like a club. Many fine schools are not members. It is basically a research standard that is applied to join. Most students are not part of the equation. Iowa accepts approximately 80% of its applicants. Elite? I've heard some of the student athletes from member schools speak on TV.
                  Last edited by scoreboard; 03-11-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                    Excellent post. The AAU is sort of like a club. Many fine schools are not members. It is basically a research standard that is applied to join. Most students are not part of the equation. Iowa accepts approximately 80% of the applicants. Elite? I've heard some of the student athletes from member schools speak on TV.
                    Simply stated, the AAU is an elite group of research driven schools. The most important criteria are investment $$$ in research, how many tenure-track faculty are members in the Academy of Arts and Sciences and how much peer reviewed research they consistently publish. As a faculty member myself, I can tell you the faculty in AAU member schools are more than compelled to work their butts off if they want to keep their job.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      Simply stated, the AAU is an elite group of research driven schools. The most important criteria are investment $$$ in research, how many tenure-track faculty are members in the Academy of Arts and Sciences and how much peer reviewed research they consistently publish. As a faculty member myself, I can tell you the faculty in AAU member schools are more than compelled to work their butts off if they want to keep their job.
                      Elitist attitude absolutely.... I applauded your post and you came back defensively. Hope you listen better when dealing with your students....

Comment

• Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

Elitist attitude absolutely.... I applauded your post and you came back defensively. Hope you listen better when dealing with your students....
                        You found that to be defensive? Then again you've heard an undeniable number of its applicants speak so I defensively digress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          You found that to be defensive? Then again you've heard an undeniable number of its applicants speak so I defensively digress.
                          Interviewed some as well. Didn't get hired.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            Regarding the new Joe, you would know better than I. But in my admittedly limited experience with Downtown Detroit, the area from Greektown on up through Ford Field/Comerica/Fox Theater seems much more appealing the Joe's current location. And that's not even mentioning that the arena itself will be much nicer. Won't those things help, at least a little?
                            The new rink isn't really near Greektown- it's more on the other side of Ford Field and Comerica from Greektown- it's actually on the other side of I75 from Comerica and Foxtown- toward the direction of Midtown. It's a newly forming area- and should be really great by the time the new rink opens. And one reason I hope that the B1G promotes it as a vacation kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

Notre Dame's lack of AAU membership didn't stop the Big Ten from trying to grab them a number of times, because of all the other strengths Notre Dame brings to the table. ND has a sterling reputation in undergrad education and since 2010 has made a significant push to become a leading research and graduate university. Notre Dame would probably love to be an AAU member to solidify its status but becoming a member is by invitation ONLY. They have not been invited yet, but could be in the very near future. I see no problem with ASU being accepted as a sport affiliate member in men's ice hockey based upon its academic reputation, despite being non-AAU. AAU Members
                              You know how I see the AAU? LIke saying you want five years experience for an entry level position. Legalized discrimination for people who are qualified but you just don't want. Or like.

Easily waived if the right candidate comes along.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I had absolutely no intention of being defensive or elitist. You misunderstood my post. I was only further explaining the AAU from a faculty perspective...that's all.

Comment

Working...
                                X