Big Ten 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

There were rumors of some teams joining the WCHA in the near future, and the B1G WILL expand, but it's all a matter of who and where.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I refer back to my statement that tArrogance does not currently accept you as One Of Us. This is one of the reasons why.
      Gooble gobble?
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        Gooble gobble?
        Too similar to Jockstock, likes the B1G Mistake. Just can't do it. Not one of us. (yes, I know the reference. Own the movie, phenomenal movie).
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
          I'm guessing here but I think it was this Tweet from Rick Pizzo (BigTen Network): "@BTNRickPizzo: The league is not staying at 6 for long. Trust me here https://t.co/pmqzNSAQWa" that started this thread at least. Personally I think it is still just speculation but you have to believe at some point in the not too distant future the conference will expand somehow.

I don't think any 6 teams as a conference would do well playing a schedule like the B1G (4 games against the other five teams in the league). Don't get me wrong, the correct six teams with the correct non-conference schedule and performance could manage to get 3 teams into the tourney but it would be very tough I think.
          If Pizzo says so, its not far away from in the bank. He's got a pretty important role. He's not just some random poster. For what reason would he just make something like that up?
          Go Gophers!

Comment

He didn't really say much of anything. I'm sure he's trustworthy but how long is long?

Comment

There were rumors of some teams joining the WCHA in the near future, and the B1G WILL expand, but it's all a matter of who and where.
              While I'm pretty sure we are hearing rumors of totally different schools, the one I'm aware of had it's path kind of put on hold thanks to some economic changes in the Far East.

I'm still hoping that ground breaking can start this year for the rink.

Lots of things in play out west.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                From GPL:

Here are my predictions:

50% Tier
                1. ASU. Because it's new and shiny
                I agree with your sentiments, but new and shiny are not legitimate reasons.

There are different parties involved: the broader B1G conference, the broader PAC12 conference, the ASU hockey program, and the B1G hockey programs. PAC12 a big winner...it helps get the conference going in a completely new sport and gets access to the entire BTN hockey portfolio (not a small prize). The B1G gets some TV sets in AZ (and possibly other places in the SW)...maybe moves BTN to another tier. I think it attracts like no eye balls. The ASU and its program is the top winner...it gets instant legitimacy and a league with some of the biggest/top educational schools across the nation. The B1G hockey...gets, well...a further watered down conference and to be a pawn.

While I agree its tops on probability, I am not a fan.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Too similar to Jockstock, likes the B1G Mistake. Just can't do it. Not one of us. (yes, I know the reference. Own the movie, phenomenal movie).
                  Don't besmirch Jockstock. Jockstock is awesome.
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

There are different parties involved: the broader B1G conference, the broader PAC12 conference, the ASU hockey program, and the B1G hockey programs. PAC12 a big winner...it helps get the conference going in a completely new sport and gets access to the entire BTN hockey portfolio (not a small prize). The B1G gets some TV sets in AZ (and possibly other places in the SW)...maybe moves BTN to another tier. I think it attracts like no eye balls. The ASU and its program is the top winner...it gets instant legitimacy and a league with some of the biggest/top educational schools across the nation. The B1G hockey...gets, well...a further watered down conference and to be a pawn.

The B1G already has a lot of eyeballs out west. There are a lot of alumni out there.

But I still think many are missing the bigger picture. ASU as a school is far more like all of the B1G schools than ANY other school that plays hockey. And just as important, the athletic department is far more like B1G schools than any other school- with the possible exception of ND, BC, UConn and the MAC schools. And with the long historic connection to the B1G- it makes WAY more sense for them to be put with the B1G than the NCHC or the WCHA.

One other advantage, I wonder- will the BTN allow the P12 channel put conference games on their channel? Which should provide a different revenue stream, expose P12 fans to a different sport, and perhaps move the needle on the potential P12 schools to add hockey.

Sadly- those who have a strong hatred for the power 5 conferences- this is appears to be more of that.

Consider- Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, VaTech, and Virginia are all fairly north. But that's a whole different, non possible thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Hockey will not put the BTN on any more TVs. You're delusional if you actually think that. The gophers are barely pulling in 30-70k viewers.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                        Don't besmirch Jockstock. Jockstock is awesome.
                        Dirty's opinion strengthens my stance.

Comment

The things I think about while on the subway home after reading the boards on my phone. I know it's really none of my concern, but I'm going to post any way.

So, Hockey East is in its second round of playoff action already while the B1G is still in its final weekend of the regular season. I know that there's been discussion ad infinitum about the B1G Tournament and the attendance issues etc. You know, even if all six teams were awesome and all had legit changes to win, a three-day tournament seems like way too much of a commitment for fans, especially because of the travel, not to mention some teams having to win and play on three consecutive nights seems excessive. If they want to keep all six teams in the playoffs, why not have teams seeded 3-6 have best 2-of-3 series while seeds 1 and 2 have a bye weekend, then the two winners meet the two bye teams for a two-day tournament? It seems like all B1G schools had at least one bye weekend during the season so it would seem like they would be able to add that extra playoff weekend in somehow. I think that makes the regular season seeding a little more important because teams seeded 3 and 4 get home ice.

Also, while I agree with most of my Hockey East compatriots, it would make more sense for Notre dame to move to the B1G but I kinda want it to wait a few years so I can go there in 2018 when BU plays there as its the only Hockey east rink I have not yet been to and if they are no longer in the conference I really won't have any need to go there. /selfish

Comment

I know there are some strong rumors and the results are anyone's guess but a few comments.
                            ASU is a really big school, but the academics are not on par with the B1G, honestly. It's just a huge party school. So i'm not sure it fits in from that perspective, but from a major sports and Athletic dept perspective it does. From an ego perspective it does. They do have some good recruits coming, IF they all stay, given the turmoil in the program. ( I wouldn't), but they are definitely a ways from being competitive in any league, even the B1G.
                            I don't see ND moving, though anything is possible. Maybe ND moves to the NCHC and WMU moves to the WCHA. That would make more sense.Or some iteration of same.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              ...You know, even if all six teams were awesome and all had legit changes to win, a three-day tournament seems like way too much of a commitment for fans, especially because of the travel, not to mention some teams having to win and play on three consecutive nights seems excessive. If they want to keep all six teams in the playoffs, why not have teams seeded 3-6 have best 2-of-3 series while seeds 1 and 2 have a bye weekend, then the two winners meet the two bye teams for a two-day tournament?
                              First round conference playoff games were the toughest tickets to sell all year long. They generally weren't included in the season ticket. Many season ticketholders dropped out and very few fans stepped up to fill the vacancies. March is a very busy sports month, and it's hard to ask people to hold three prime dates open for games that might not be played. Here at OSU we had a huge problem even keeping our home ice (Schottenstein Center) available.

The specific problems varied from market to market. But having to sell tickets to those first round games was a problem the schools were happy to be rid of. I don't see us going back.

Granted, the neutral site tournament has under-performed at the gate. In a B1G way. So at the moment it seems to be a case of pick your poison.

Maybe new teams, if that really happens, will give the event a boost. Eight teams is potentially a better tournament. If nothing else, you'd get rid of the rested team vs. exhausted team championship games. (assuming that all teams had to play 3 games to win the title.)

Maybe the new Red Wings building will help. Or, maybe the NHL buildings will always be too large. We could stage the tournament at campus sites. Remember, we're the misfits who like holding tournaments on campus. A B1G tourney at Yost or Mariucci would potentially be awesome, thank you very much. And in this case, the rest of college hockey wouldn't be able to gang up on us and tell us we can't do it.

As for the other 4-6 schools, I can imagine us taking on the project of hosting once every 6-8 years. And if some of the members would prefer not to host, I've got to believe that others would happily pick up the slack in exchange for an extra year of home ice advantage.

It seems like all B1G schools had at least one bye weekend during the season so it would seem like they would be able to add that extra playoff weekend in somehow. I think that makes the regular season seeding a little more important because teams seeded 3 and 4 get home ice.
                              Reasonable thoughts. But for this group of schools, on March dates? I still don't see us going back.

Comment

The original playoff plan was to have the top two get byes to the semi finals and have 3/6 and 4/5 play a 2 of 3 on campus sites. Then the final tournament would be played at the 1 seed's rink. But Wisconsin complained because they host state finals at Kohl during the week the tournament is held. So now we play in front of half full Xcel's and quarter full JLA's.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X