Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Ten 2015-2016

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

    Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    ASU undergrad actually ranks higher than Rutgers, and their grad school programs (Education, Business, Fine Arts, etc.) all basically rank from top 10 to top 30 in the nation. They have the strong academic reputation in both the undergrad and grad programs that the Big Ten requires. Although you are right it is somewhat a party school...but what major college or university isn't today (with the exception of the "dry campus" I teach at )?
    I mean no disrespect but your statement about Arizona State ranking higher than Rutgers surprised me. Because I was curious I did a quick look at the most recent US News and World Reports (perhaps not the best source but easily accessed). I found that ASU definitely outranked Rutgers across the board for graduate schools (though none of the programs were top 10) but significantly got outranked at the undergraduate level (72 to 129). Out of curiosity, what rankings are you using? Just to clarify, I'm not claiming US News and World Reports is the best option to rank schools, just the first one I found on the web to look at.

    Comment


    • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

      Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      The original playoff plan was to have the top two get byes to the semi finals and have 3/6 and 4/5 play a 2 of 3 on campus sites. Then the final tournament would be played at the 1 seed's rink. But Wisconsin complained because they host state finals at Kohl during the week the tournament is held. So now we play in front of half full Xcel's and quarter full JLA's.
      So people actually thought some time in the future there is a chance Wisconsin could be the number one seed? So they are actually planning decades ahead?

      Comment


      • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

        Originally posted by Khryx View Post
        I mean no disrespect but your statement about Arizona State ranking higher than Rutgers surprised me. Because I was curious I did a quick look at the most recent US News and World Reports (perhaps not the best source but easily accessed). I found that ASU definitely outranked Rutgers across the board for graduate schools (though none of the programs were top 10) but significantly got outranked at the undergraduate level (72 to 129). Out of curiosity, what rankings are you using? Just to clarify, I'm not claiming US News and World Reports is the best option to rank schools, just the first one I found on the web to look at.
        If you use US News for Rutgers, each campus ranks differently (i.e. Rutgers - Newark, #140). The same with ASU grad programs (i.e. The W. P. Carey School of Business, #6). I sometimes use Princeton Review and Forbes ranking engines as well.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          If you use US News for Rutgers, each campus ranks differently (i.e. Rutgers - Newark, #140). The same with ASU grad programs (i.e. The W. P. Carey School of Business, #6). I sometimes use Princeton Review and Forbes ranking engines as well.
          That's true but Newark isn't the main campus for Rutgers. It's New Brunswick (72 in rankings). For public schools it is 28 versus 62 for ASU. If you compare satellite campuses (e.g. Newark), I don't think ASU's are even ranked. Just saying comparing a satellite campus to a main campus isn't equivalent as typically the satellite campuses are distinct from main campuses in most aspects like admissions and sports for example.
          Last edited by Khryx; 03-12-2016, 02:27 PM.

          Comment


          • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

            Has anyone ever looked into the SOS / record for teams in other conferences if they were to only have a six team conference and play a B1G type schedule (play each team twice at home and twice on the road)? I ask because I would be curious to see some statistics.

            Comment


            • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

              Originally posted by Khryx View Post
              That's true but Newark isn't the main campus for Rutgers. It's New Brunswick (72 in rankings). For public schools it is 28 versus 62 for ASU. If you compare satellite campuses (e.g. Newark), I don't think ASU's are even ranked. Just saying comparing a satellite campus to a main campus isn't equivalent as typically the satellite campuses are distinct from main campuses in most aspects like admissions and sports for example.
              Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              I think we'll see Sun Devils hockey entering into an affiliate agreement with the Big Ten very soon. They're not AAU, but have a good grad school and an academic reputation the Big Ten requires.
              Yeah, you're right I must have looked at the Newark not the main campus which is an AAU member. Nevertheless, ASU's grad school ranks very high in several programs and I think that may carry significant weight towards their hockey program becoming a affiliate sport member of the Big Ten. That was the intent of my original post above.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                Yeah, you're right I must have looked at the Newark not the main campus which is an AAU member. Nevertheless, ASU's grad school ranks very high in several programs and I think that may carry significant weight towards their hockey program becoming a affiliate sport member of the Big Ten. That was the intent of my original post above.
                Yeah, I had a feeling that was where you were going with it when I compared the graduate programs between the two schools. Good call.

                Comment


                • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

                  what sad is that the B1G champ won't make the tourney unless they win the B1G playoff.....

                  Comment


                  • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

                    Gophers aren't very good at the X lately. It'll be a surprise to me if they get two wins and get through.
                    Last edited by state of hockey; 03-13-2016, 12:52 AM.
                    the state of hockey is good

                    Comment


                    • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

                      Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Gophers aren't very good at the X lately. It'll be a surprise to me of they get two wins and get through.
                      whats sad is the gophers aren't even getting the best talent in minnesota anymore

                      Comment


                      • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

                        Printable bracket for the tournament can be found here: http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hocke...031216aac.html
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                        Comment


                        • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

                          Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Gophers aren't very good at the X lately. It'll be a surprise to me if they get two wins and get through.
                          Funny comment on a Michigan board- someone claims that the refs will be biased to your team so they get through. I had to point out that the B1G refs are too incompetent to call a good game, let alone figure out a way to be biased.

                          For the tournament- I'm sure someone will ask- but, NO the teams are not re-seeded after Thursday. So Minnesota gets OSU or MSU, Michigan gets PSU or Wisconsin.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

                            Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Funny comment on a Michigan board- someone claims that the refs will be biased to your team so they get through. I had to point out that the B1G refs are too incompetent to call a good game, let alone figure out a way to be biased.

                            For the tournament- I'm sure someone will ask- but, NO the teams are not re-seeded after Thursday. So Minnesota gets OSU or MSU, Michigan gets PSU or Wisconsin.
                            If the refs were going to try to help the conference get two bids, Michigan would've won at the Joe last year.

                            Only saw Saturday's game against OSU, but if this weekend's energy carries over to next Thursday, it's going to be a very close, competitive, and chippy nightcap.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                            1966, 1986, 2007

                            Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              If the refs were going to try to help the conference get two bids, Michigan would've won at the Joe last year.

                              Only saw Saturday's game against OSU, but if this weekend's energy carries over to next Thursday, it's going to be a very close, competitive, and chippy nightcap.
                              You know, I'm aware that it's popular to trash officials but I can't recall the last time I left a game feeling like the refs really mucked a game up. A poor call here and there but I feel like it's much more common in basketball and football to feel as though the refs truly impacted a game.

                              Just my observation, I guess.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

                                Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                The new rink isn't really near Greektown- it's more on the other side of Ford Field and Comerica from Greektown- it's actually on the other side of I75 from Comerica and Foxtown- toward the direction of Midtown.
                                Appreciate the follow-up. With your info, plus a quick web search, I now have a much clearer picture of where the new building will be.

                                By way of quick explanation, our strategy back at the FFFF was to park between Greektown and Ford Field. Pre-game meal in Greektown. Once parked, we were able to forget about the car until after the games. While I'm not defending having playoff hockey in football stadiums, the neighborhood worked -- contrary to widely held stereotypes. That was my point. I wasn't trying to suggest that large numbers would be walking from Greektown to the new Joe.

                                It's a newly forming area- and should be really great by the time the new rink opens. And one reason I hope that the B1G promotes it as a vacation kind of thing.
                                I'm with you on this, and yet I'm not sure how much hope there is.

                                Whenever the topic of post-season sites arises, it seems that a large majority of fans will only travel to major vacation destinations. In other words, places where you'd be willing to spend a full week as tourist, with all of the expense and time off work that requires. Most Midwestern cities aren't going to pass that test. But it's the wrong test! The question is whether there's a good long weekend to be had. And the 'D' certainly gets over that hurdle -- again, contrary to widely held stereotypes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X