Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
    I dont believe they will ever join a conference fully.
    I think it's only a matter of time, like Gurt said, before the money changes that equation. Conferences are running away from Notre Dame in the TV money game. I think the SEC network is even ahead of them now.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Purdue?? not really much of a game but i understand the interstate stuff. I agree with the rest.
      It's an extremely old rivalry. They play for the Shillelagh trophy.
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        It's an extremely old rivalry. They play for the Shillelagh trophy.
        I thought the Shillelagh Trophy was ND vs BC

Comment

Nope. That's the Holy War I believe. Don't think that one is very old or played as much as Purdue.
          Code:

Comment

I thought the Shillelagh Trophy was ND vs BC
            Notre dame also plays for the Shillelagh Trophy with U.S.C.

From Wikipedia:
            The Fighting Irish and Eagles play for the Frank Leahy Memorial Bowl and Ireland Trophy

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
              Notre dame also plays for the Shillelagh Trophy with U.S.C.
              That trophy really gets around lol

Comment

That trophy really gets around lol
                Just like Kim Dunbar did

Comment

Nope. That's the Holy War I believe. Don't think that one is very old or played as much as Purdue.
                  Yes you are right. Holy war is also Utah vs BYU

Comment

Imagine Notre Dame in the Big Ten Championship game in Indianapolis.

Would be another bowl game for them.

I'm guessing they've imagined it too. Unfortunately, they'd most likely be put in the east, so they'd be playing Iowa, UW or Nebraska.

Still would be a big game.

Comment

(Edit: This is in response to the 'will ND ever join a conference fully'/TV revenue discussion earlier)

Conversely, does anyone else get the impression that TV revenue (especially that tied to cable networks) is a bubble that might burst some time soon? Or if not burst, at least deflate?
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Someone had asked "what's changed?" I think it's simple. Before, I believe the Big Ten had a stance with Notre Dame of "you're welcome to join, but you must join for all sports." Notre Dame has always said no, wanting to hold onto their football independence. The ACC was wiling to budge on that. Now it looks like the Big Ten is willing to budge as well.

In 10-15 years, I see Notre Dame either A) having a similar arrangement they currently have with the ACC with the Big Ten, or B) being in the conference fully. I think scenario A can work out if they figure out the TV end of things. If 3 football games per year were on BTN since they'd be at a Big Ten stadium without letting Notre Dame have a large stake in the network, I could see something being worked out where Notre Dame keeps their independence, keeps their NBC stuff, and the Big Ten & BTN benefits as a whole.
                        "I wagered a large sum on the performance of that scholar athlete."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          (Edit: This is in response to the 'will ND ever join a conference fully'/TV revenue discussion earlier)

Conversely, does anyone else get the impression that TV revenue (especially that tied to cable networks) is a bubble that might burst some time soon? Or if not burst, at least deflate?
                          It is a bubble and it will burst at some point. However, the Big Ten is still king. Research, brand, athletics, the whole shebang. It's the king of the conferences for a reason. I'm not trying to be a dick, but there's a reason that even Minnesota is ranked in the top ten of publics.
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by SOTA View Post
                            Someone had asked "what's changed?" I think it's simple. Before, I believe the Big Ten had a stance with Notre Dame of "you're welcome to join, but you must join for all sports." Notre Dame has always said no, wanting to hold onto their football independence. The ACC was wiling to budge on that. Now it looks like the Big Ten is willing to budge as well.

In 10-15 years, I see Notre Dame either A) having a similar arrangement they currently have with the ACC with the Big Ten, or B) being in the conference fully. I think scenario A can work out if they figure out the TV end of things. If 3 football games per year were on BTN since they'd be at a Big Ten stadium without letting Notre Dame have a large stake in the network, I could see something being worked out where Notre Dame keeps their independence, keeps their NBC stuff, and the Big Ten & BTN benefits as a whole.
                            Copied from GPL earlier this month:
                            Originally posted by dxmnkd316
                            Our embargo of Cuba Notre Dame with the ultimatum they have to give up communism football independence hasn't worked for the last fifty years. Maybe both the US and the Big Ten realize exclusionist policies aren't working.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                            So I think you're right.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316
                            I think (hope) the Big Ten is realizing the embargo hasn't worked. So why not start with some associate memberships to get their fanbase used to the idea of being a member of the Big Ten. Will hockey do much to help that? Nope. But it's a start.
                            Code:

Comment

Notre Dame would get all of the quality opponents and rivals they need in the Big Ten. If I had to guess, they are currently evaluating which games are most valuable. Michigan, Stanford, USC, Navy, Michigan State, Purdue are the ones that come to mind immediately. Three of those are not in the big ten. I could see them scheduling one or two of those a season.

Not to distract us from the original discussion though.
                              The 'Fightin Harbaugh's' have not been, or are on the ND schedule for a number of years. So, the USC, Navy games should be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                                The 'Fightin Harbaugh's' have not been, or are on the ND schedule for a number of years. So, the USC, Navy games should be safe.
                                By that you mean September of 2014?
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X