Big Ten 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

So lets say the B10 adds a Hockey program. Seven teams. 24 conference games. Cuts out four Non-Con games. So, still keep 6 schools in the playoffs? I for one, despise the current Play-off system. There should ALWAYS be at least one round on campus sites. Hard to get enthusiastic, when like MSU, you are one and done every year.

Comment

The whole point of this is to expand the playoffs I think. Conventional wisdom is seeing the first round back on home arenas.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well, this is interesting if it is indeed as probable as is being suggested.

I would have to think it's about more than just the play-offs; also about trying to add some winning programs to the conference.
        Or maybe not. The attendance atrocity last year in Detroit and the prospective low attendance next week may be the only thing that the conference higher-ups really care about.

ASU? No thanks. The last thing this conference needs is to add a bottom-tier program. Perhaps I'm being harsh toward ASU, but I don't see anything that tells me they are going to become a legitimate team in the near future.

If ASU comes in with another established program I suppose that would be alright. Notre Dame would fit that bill in my mind. I don't really care about them, and they wouldn't add any of that much-missed "rivalry" factor, but they are a legitimate NCAA Tournament team 3 out of every 5 years.

But my question is, how ****ty would that be if ND went to Hockey East, Hockey East then went out and added UConn to the league pretty much only because ND came in and unbalanced the numbers, and then ND bolted just a few years later leaving Hockey East again with unbalanced numbers?

Comment

As long as there is no stupid third place game.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            Well, this is interesting if it is indeed as probable as is being suggested.

I would have to think it's about more than just the play-offs; also about trying to add some winning programs to the conference.
            Or maybe not. The attendance atrocity last year in Detroit and the prospective low attendance next week may be the only thing that the conference higher-ups really care about.

ASU? No thanks. The last thing this conference needs is to add a bottom-tier program. Perhaps I'm being harsh toward ASU, but I don't see anything that tells me they are going to become a legitimate team in the near future.

If ASU comes in with another established program I suppose that would be alright. Notre Dame would fit that bill in my mind. I don't really care about them, and they wouldn't add any of that much-missed "rivalry" factor, but they are a legitimate NCAA Tournament team 3 out of every 5 years.

But my question is, how ****ty would that be if ND went to Hockey East, Hockey East then went out and added UConn to the league pretty much only because ND came in and unbalanced the numbers, and then ND bolted just a few years later leaving Hockey East again with unbalanced numbers?
            Please take them.
            Thanks,

Fans of the other 11 hockey east teams
            BS UMass Lowell 2015
            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

The Little Six wouldn't let Arizona State in for the simple fact that they would at worst be the 3rd best team in the conference.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                The Little Six wouldn't let Arizona State in for the simple fact that they would at worst be the 3rd best team in the conference.
                From what I've heard "The Little Six" would love to have them in. ASU may not be the best right now, but they have lots of potential. Hockey in points west (California) is growing and producing more D1-caliber players all the time.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Unless there's been some unexpected movement that would add Notre Dame as a full Big Ten conference member in all sports, any speculation that they'll play hockey in the conference is dead in the water. Both sides are still at an impasse because of the lingering bad feelings over ND's rejection of the conference's last invite.

Arizona State doesn't have that prior history, so that's a little more plausible. And now that I think about it, I can see the possibility that the Big Ten and Pac-12 could create a cooperative league that would combine members from both conferences. If they could find 1-3 more schools from either, it solves a lot - except those nagging issues of travel & competitive balance.

Comment

The only thing that's dead in the water is them joining as a full member. Being an associate member just makes sense for both sides.

The PAC-12 isn't going to form a league. Not yet.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      The only thing that's dead in the water is them joining as a full member. Being an associate member just makes sense for both sides.

Maybe not next year, or in 3 years, but I am aware of some other P12 schools that are ready for hockey. Some of them have local support via popular club teams.

ASU makes a lot of sense when you put that part in- they can establish a program, perhaps get one more P12 school to start quickly, and then work on 4 more to become a real conference. At the same time, the B1G can convince one or two other schools to add hockey.

Yes, it's going to suck for a while. But given how fast PSU has become a decent hockey school- it's probably not going to be that bad.

(and there are other western schools considering hockey, too. Not P12 though)

Comment

I suppose it's possible. I just don't see it. PSU has flourished because it is based in a hockey hot bed. The west is not. It's the same reason schools in the south are typically better than those in the north.

I mentioned this on GPL, but it would be incredible if the second team is North Dakota. Can you imagine the epic amount of backtracking on how ****ty the big ten is?

It would never happen, but it would be hilarious.
                        Code:

Comment

I suppose it's possible. I just don't see it. PSU has flourished because it is based in a hockey hot bed. The west is not. It's the same reason schools in the south are typically better than those in the north.

I mentioned this on GPL, but it would be incredible if the second team is North Dakota. Can you imagine the epic amount of backtracking on how ****ty the big ten is?

It would never happen, but it would be hilarious.
                          Why would we have to backtrack? UND would actually make the league good since, you know unlike all the B10 teams, they are actually good at hockey. Plus we're awesome and make everything better. We're like bacon.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            Unless there's been some unexpected movement that would add Notre Dame as a full Big Ten conference member in all sports, any speculation that they'll play hockey in the conference is dead in the water. Both sides are still at an impasse because of the lingering bad feelings over ND's rejection of the conference's last invite.
                            This is wrong.

Comment

Considering that on a club level, ASU has been one of the top schools for a long time- assuming that they are not a hockey school, well, relative to PSU, that's a stretch. Plus, even we have has good players form California. There's more hockey out west than you think. Right now, there are two California teams in the top 25 Midget. If I read it right, Minnesota has one (granted, they are #4, and I know HS hockey is huge). I'm not comparing CA to MN, except to point out that there IS good hockey out west. Maybe not super great, but it's of high quality.

Comment

Absolutely not going to happen as an associate. The Big Ten was and still is adamant that they would only welcome Notre Dame as a full member in all sports. The TV deal conflict with NBC and BTN is enough to make associate level participation impossible anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X