X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pictures of Your Arena

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    Here's the best game action pic I've seen in a while of the John Glas:
    That place looks like it could be deafening.
    Sons of old Massachusetts,
    Devoted daughters true,
    Bay State, old Bay State,
    We'll give our best to you.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
      *****http://i923.***********.com/albums/ad73/frufan100/0130102036.jpg******
      I see that the banner says "Conference Champions" not "Hockey East Champions," so that they can include 1984 when they won the ECAC championship. What about 1964 when PC also won the ECAC championship?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

too bad its near the end of it service, looks like it could really rock.
        Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I see that the banner says "Conference Champions" not "Hockey East Champions," so that they can include 1984 when they won the ECAC championship. What about 1964 when PC also won the ECAC championship?
          I believe that the black banners are for women's hockey, and the white banners at the far end of the rink are for the men's.
          Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
            I believe that the black banners are for women's hockey, and the white banners at the far end of the rink are for the men's.
            Got it. They didn't win in 1984. I should have known that.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

From the one series I attended (UAH @ BSU), it's pretty loud, but the opposing wall is blank and the wooden stands absorb some sound. Louder than the Mariucci, not quite equivalent with MacInnes with a good crowd, and nowhere near the Kohl. (Can't compare it with any HEA arenas, sorry.)
              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Got it. They didn't win in 1984. I should have known that.
                or 03, 04 and 05
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The Glas can get loud, and the students have been great. They stand the whole game and have several chants. Dave Burkholder, Niagara's head coach has compared the atmosphere quite favorably to Lynah - and he should know, the Purps play there just about every year.

As to it being near the end of service, there are mixed feelings. It certainly is not a D-I rink in many ways, and is woefully behind every other arena in the WCHA.

Let's do it this way - positives: atmosphere. As noted, the place, especially when sold out (2414) can rock (this was quite a loud game - unfortunately, WCHA games are a bigger deal already. The fans need to remember for Niagara next weekend that the team is still in the CHA and pack the place for the final weekend and a push for the NCAA's this year). BSU is averaging 2145 this year, which is a "realistic" sell-out. Unfortunatley, this is about it for the positives...

Negatives: The views from the first couple rows stink, and the sections closest to the end walls are terrible too. This limits further the functional capacity of an already cramped building.

Speaking of cramped, each "seat" is a plastic pull-out bleacher like you see in your normal high school gymnasium. On top of that, each seat is about 15" wide. So, an isle with 19 "seats" in it would be 23 and a half feet long. Does it seem reasonable to try to squeeze 19 normal sized adults onto a bench that short? As an example, new seats are now usually a mimimum of 19" and are typically 22" wide...

Also to the cramped nature of the building, the "concourse" at the top of the bleachers is only about 8' wide, and there is only one entrance/exit from the main lobby. This lobby contains the only bathrooms, concessions, souvineer table and ticket purchasing options (plus chuck-a-puck, jersey raffle, etc.) in the whole rink. So, you've got a single door that 2200 people need to navigate through in a 15 minute span if they need a potty break at intermission.

The press area is a joke. There's enough space for about six meda people )at most), maybe two coaches, plus BSU Media Relations. And, at least two of the media people have to sit directly behind a post. The TV crew has to sit at ice level and broadcast from the corner of the rink.

I really could go on, but I think I've said enough. The new building will be a welcome addition to the community, BSU and the WCHA. Will the atmosphere move across town? That remains to be seen, but I hope so. The passion for Beaver hockey has never been as high - at least as long as I've been in town.
                  Last edited by moose97; 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM.
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Looks like Brown isn't the only team in Providence hurting in the attendance department this year. The crowd for the UMass-PC game at Schneider is just awful.

Comment

Don't think there were any Goggin pictures posted yet

Comment

National Concrete Center, St. Cloud State.
                        http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...17_3504595.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4343759_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...8_879872_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
                          New Scoreboards at Merrimack.

*****http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BcWMMLRYE5A/S05SMUB-CgI/AAAAAAAAAws/xH7uLTqc0jo/s400/IMG00001-20100113-1742.jpg******
                          Sorry to say but my high school gym has a nicer scoreboard for basketball..

Comment

Yost Ice Arena

*****http://www11.brinkster.com/dilksy/yost1.jpg******

*****http://www11.brinkster.com/dilksy/yost2.jpg******

http://www11.brinkster.com/dilksy/yost1.jpg

http://www11.brinkster.com/dilksy/yost2.jpg

Comment

From all the pics, blueprints and renderings I've seen of this rink, I'm a huge fan. I'd love to see a game there sooner rather than later. In fact, I got a nice copy of the plans from the architects and gave them to the architects of the Bemidji Regional Event Center for reference (I took part in a couple committies involved in planning the BREC).
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                              X