Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The B1G's proposal and their defense of it

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
    MCLA lacrosse, the body that governs club lax, has 200+ schools in 2 divisions, including Minny and Wisco. At the NCAA D1 level, it's cheaper than hockey, they only allow 12.6 scholarships per team (despite rosters that are often 40ish), and they can play on pre-existing fields, but it can also be a revenue sport, which might make it attractive. I'm sure the B1G schools that don't have it are at least studying it, much like hockey.

r
    Title IX, it's more expensive than you think. Minny and Wiscy will stay at club status IMHO. And I guess John Hopkins isn't dominating B1G Lax like I thought, Maryland is running the show now. And get this, Rutgers is in second. John Hopkins comes in 3rd with Penn State right on their heels. ohio state and (unfortunately) Michigan are bringing up the rear in the B1G.

http://www.bigten.org/library/stats/mlax-confsked.html
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Maryland men won the B1G lax tournament over Rutgers. Maryland women won over Northwestern.
      Yep, my bad. I guess I'm not the Lax aficionado I thought. Thanks for correcting me.
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I have asked athletic directors at Wisconsin about Lacrosse as it is an up and coming sport in high school athletics here, and the answer was they are not currently looking at adding lacrosse or any other varsity sports....

They have do have 2 club teams at Wisconsin (white and red), one is higher end club team and one is lower.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          I have asked athletic directors at Wisconsin about Lacrosse as it is an up and coming sport in high school athletics here, and the answer was they are not currently looking at adding lacrosse or any other varsity sports....

They have do have 2 club teams at Wisconsin (white and red), one is higher end club team and one is lower.
          Very few schools are looking to add any varsity sports since they seem to all be running in the red with exception to some schools' football, basketball, and a few hockey programs here and there.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Women's (and men's too if you see the video) lax have a solution

http://laxmagazine.com/college_women...rly_recruiting

https://youtu.be/YXJGd_FPGC4

Hockey coaches will scream "MAJOR JUNIOR!!!", but if you can commit a kid at 15 and push him out until he's 21, something is wrong.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
              MCLA lacrosse, the body that governs club lax, has 200+ schools in 2 divisions, including Minny and Wisco. At the NCAA D1 level, it's cheaper than hockey, they only allow 12.6 scholarships per team (despite rosters that are often 40ish), and they can play on pre-existing fields, but it can also be a revenue sport, which might make it attractive. I'm sure the B1G schools that don't have it are at least studying it, much like hockey.

r
              But it is a CLUB team...

Full varsity teams destroy club teams. Michigan went from Club to Varsity in 2011. Michigan was absolutely dominating the Club ranks but since they went varsity they have finished 1-13, 1-13, 4-13, 5-8, and 3-10.

Club teams do not count.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                But it is a CLUB team...

Full varsity teams destroy club teams. Michigan went from Club to Varsity in 2011. Michigan was absolutely dominating the Club ranks but since they went varsity they have finished 1-13, 1-13, 4-13, 5-8, and 3-10.

Club teams do not count.
                Don't know if you're missing his point or simply choosing to ignore it. But your comment isn't responsive.

Of course throwing a Club roster out against Varsity competition is going to go poorly 99% of the time. Transitional periods will also be tough from a competitive standpoint. But cetihcra's argument is that if a school has facilities already in place for a particular sport, launching a Varsity program is less costly and less problematic than starting from scratch. That's clearly correct. I'll add that if a sport already has a place in the budget, another obstacle is partially removed. Having a constituency of players, staff and supporters already on campus is also a plus in the political process.

I'm not under illusions; adding ANY varsity sport in the current budget environment is going to be a very difficult uphill climb. But not for the reason you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                  Don't know if you're missing his point or simply choosing to ignore it. But your comment isn't responsive.

Of course throwing a Club roster out against Varsity competition is going to go poorly 99% of the time. Transitional periods will also be tough from a competitive standpoint. But cetihcra's argument is that if a school has facilities already in place for a particular sport, launching a Varsity program is less costly and less problematic than starting from scratch. That's clearly correct. I'll add that if a sport already has a place in the budget, another obstacle is partially removed. Having a constituency of players, staff and supporters already on campus is also a plus in the political process.

I'm not under illusions; adding ANY varsity sport in the current budget environment is going to be a very difficult uphill climb. But not for the reason you suggest.
                  I beg the question has ANY varsity sport started at the varsity level? No, they were all club sports at one time before becoming varsity.

I didn't think that Club teams could offer scholarships? ceticra said they did but that was not my understanding. Oh well, I never claimed to be an expert in that area.

Comment

I beg the question has ANY varsity sport started at the varsity level? No, they were all club sports at one time before becoming varsity.

I didn't think that Club teams could offer scholarships? ceticra said they did but that was not my understanding. Oh well, I never claimed to be an expert in that area.
                    I stated that D1 MLax could offer only 12.6 scholarships...meaning, varsity. That's a tiny number compared to the rosters of most teams...sometimes 40-50 members. Rich white-kid sports FTW.

r

Comment

I beg the question has ANY varsity sport started at the varsity level? No, they were all club sports at one time before becoming varsity...
                      I don't think that's true, but it's admittedly hard to think of contrary examples. If for no other reason, most of the varsity sports I follow have been around longer than I have.

What about Crew? (rowing) Quite a few schools have added Women's Crew teams for Title IX reasons, meaning it was a way to create a large number of opportunities on a cost effective basis. Is it really the case that all of those schools had pre-existing clubs before going varsity? I've never followed that sport closely, but I was under the impression that many of those schools started from scratch -- needing to build boathouses, buy all the gear, and so on.

I would also guess that there are schools out there that have built a natatorium and launched a Varsity Swim team from scratch. But again, I don't have an example I'm 100% sure of. So it's at least a good question.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        I don't think that's true, but it's admittedly hard to think of contrary examples. If for no other reason, most of the varsity sports I follow have been around longer than I have.

What about Crew? (rowing) Quite a few schools have added Women's Crew teams for Title IX reasons, meaning it was a way to create a large number of opportunities on a cost effective basis. Is it really the case that all of those schools had pre-existing clubs before going varsity? I've never followed that sport closely, but I was under the impression that many of those schools started from scratch -- needing to build boathouses, buy all the gear, and so on.

I would also guess that there are schools out there that have built a natatorium and launched a Varsity Swim team from scratch. But again, I don't have an example I'm 100% sure of. So it's at least a good question.
                        My lens on collegiate rowing is that schools compete at varsity and club (e.g., we raced Yale once), but that the sport isn't terribly expensive unless you're trying to compete at the Olympic level. UAH had varsity crew through either 1994 or 1995 — I had a friend who had come here from Oregon on a crew scholarship. UAH helped start a lot of the crew programs in Alabama, went varsity, and then had to drop back.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                        X