Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015-16 Alaska Legislature Official Season Thread…scratching the KRACH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    Looking at the NCAA minimum sport requirements keeping athletics at both schools while staying D2 will be difficult.

It appears both schools can only drop one women's sport or one men's sports if they want to stay D2.
    UAF: Men's Cross Country can't be dropped as it is the only fall sport. That leaves Skiing, Basketball or Hockey for men, all women's sports, though Cross Country wouldn't really make sense and the Co-Ed Rifle team.
    UAA: Men's Cross Country can't be dropped as it is the only fall sport. Men's and Women's Track & Field can't be dropped as it is the only spring sport. That leaves Skiing, Basketball or Hockey for men and Volleyball, Cross Country (though it wouldn't make much sense with the men's team being kept), Skiing, Basketball and Gymnastics for women.

When looking at men's sports, which seems more likely to be dropped, none of these options seem good as both schools have good skiing teams, correct? And dropping basketball just seems weird. Every school has basketball. That just leaves hockey for both schools or the co-ed rifle team at UAF. Dropping one sport isn't really going to accomplish much, will it? If all of this is correct, it would seem one school would need to drop athletics entirely for there to be any real cost savings.
    Then again UAF doesn't appear to have any spring sports at all, which is against the NCAA rules, so who knows maybe I'm completely wrong.
    Alaska Airlines Arena make it very unlikely that basketball or volleyball would be in danger at UAA.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: 2015-16 Alaska Legislature Official Season Thread…scratching the KRACH.

What's the latest on this? If there's been an update in another UAA or UA(F) thread, I probably wasn't paying attention.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        What's the latest on this? If there's been an update in another UAA or UA(F) thread, I probably wasn't paying attention.
        Looking at another cut but probably not as bad as last year. There's some intent language from the legislature telling UAA to get down to 10 teams and cut their athletics budget down to what UAF spends (in other words; half of UAA's athletics budget).

But intent is not the same as a directive.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

So the Seawolves live to fight another season?
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            So the Seawolves live to fight another season?
            I think we did what we had too, in one of the budget plans I saw the objective we were supposed to meet-can't find as of right now but I remember the objectives weren't that hard to achieve, but you never know.

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            Looking at another cut but probably not as bad as last year. There's some intent language from the legislature telling UAA to get down to 10 teams and cut their athletics budget down to what UAF spends (in other words; half of UAA's athletics budget).

But intent is not the same as a directive.
            Do you have any new buildings to still pay for? How about a new arena, the nicest in Alaska btw. I'm sure at least half of our buildings on our campus were recently built or renovated (should they have been is a whole other issue, but the new ones as in the last 12 months really **** me off: commons cafeteria, commons meetings rooms (where they talk about the budget cuts no less, ****ing hate the stupid backwards people up top), dorms first floors, and the bookstore. Don't forgot we have three more teams than you, larger teams, etc. In general we are going to spend more because we are bigger than you are. That affects scholarships because we have to pay for more services, meal plans, lack of adequate housing (2k beds for a campus of 15k+ I believe), etc. The track team was started because of the Dome and because we could at the time.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Working...
            X