Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Anyone know why Eaves choose to have a penalty instead of a penalty shot? That seems really strange to me, even if the penalty would have given us a 5-on-3.

Comment

[QUOTE=MadCityRich;6288370]
      Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post

Not only is attendance down, but talent is way down as well. Compare the current pool to the birth years 1984 to 1989 or so. There have been a sporadic few, but those aforementioned years had amazing talent. I was there this afternoon, it was like playing shinny in a cave.
      I feel you have a pretty good handle on this, based on a few of your comments over the years. My view is quite close to yours. It seems the overall depth of the high school teams has gotten worse, but the top end players are better. I think with Team Wisconsin and other teams available there are more top end players in the state than years back. The overall team play has declined.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

I feel you have a pretty good handle on this, based on a few of your comments over the years. My view is quite close to yours. It seems the overall depth of the high school teams has gotten worse, but the top end players are better. I think with Team Wisconsin and other teams available there are more top end players in the state than years back. The overall team play has declined.
        I can't speak for the whole state, but being from the Green Bay area, it seems like more players from the area are playing in college since pretty much all of the area high schools created WIAA teams about ten years ago (GBU, Notre Dame, Bay Port, Ashwaubenon, DePere).

Comment

As a Gophers fan my whole life, reading this thread and seeing stuff like Barry Alverez needs to go is a reminder of how incredibly entitled, naive, and spoiled many Wisconsin Badger fans are. Ever since Barry stepped on the UW campus the UW athletics went from a bottom feeder athletic program most of the country wouldn't look at unless you were cross-country or hockey fan. Since, he arrived the athletics have transformed into program that is one of envy across the nation. Now I'm certainly giving too much credit to Barry for all the success, but even since he just took the athletics is beyond it's right of success. In the last three years no program has been as high profile in the two by far highest grossing college sports, except maybe Michigan State. The fact that Barry hasn't fired the hockey coach and the women's basketball program is bad in most people's mind is a minor inconvenience when it comes to the program that was in the National Championship game in Men's Basketball and winner's of a Bowl game in college football on a rebuilding season. Even in Wisconsin down year in basketball they are going to make the tournament for the 17th straight season. Your previous legendary coach had an extramarital affair and it was news for about two seconds yesterday. I get why you want Mike Eaves gone, it's been two historically bad seasons. Just remember he also won a National Championship and was a National Championship Runner-up during his tenure. Sure he swung and missed on a few guys and didn't get a player like Will Butcher, but times have changed the era of plucking the best Gopher/Sioux rejects and cream of crop Chicagoland players is gone (UMD, SCSU, MSU-M, Omaha for MN players and Notre Dame, Miami for Chicagoland). The program thrived in the middle to late 2000's, because the state of Wisconsin produced a good amount of talent. However, just like every other program, players jumped ship to the pros early and the other factors have caught up to them. I no doubt expect the program to be competent in the coming years, but you might want to get used to down years, because you cannot reload like the Gophers just because you have six national titles. Also, if you think Barry needs to go, just let me tell you as a U follower the bleep going down in Dinkytown makes all the news out of Madison look like page 8 buried stories. Barry is trying to get money to buy out the Hockey coach speaks more to what Alvarez has to deal with when his former U counterpart who was outed for sexual harassment/assault got the freedom to offer the basketball coach who couldn't even make the NIT a ridiculous bonus and buyout so he wouldn't jump ship to Alabama for BASKETBALL.
          Used RCA television $60
          Monthly Cable bill $40
          Watching Schutte Cry in the Penalty Box after he got cocky with the crowd earlier.
          P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S

Comment

shiftyjedi, stirring the pot before next weekend? Or are you feeling a little testy after being shutout by the Spartans 5-0?

Comment

• Originally posted by shiftyjedi View Post
              As a Gophers fan my whole life, reading this thread and seeing stuff like Barry Alverez needs to go is a reminder of how incredibly entitled, naive, and spoiled many Wisconsin Badger fans are. Ever since Barry stepped on the UW campus the UW athletics went from a bottom feeder athletic program most of the country wouldn't look at unless you were cross-country or hockey fan. Since, he arrived the athletics have transformed into program that is one of envy across the nation. Now I'm certainly giving too much credit to Barry for all the success, but even since he just took the athletics is beyond it's right of success. In the last three years no program has been as high profile in the two by far highest grossing college sports, except maybe Michigan State. The fact that Barry hasn't fired the hockey coach and the women's basketball program is bad in most people's mind is a minor inconvenience when it comes to the program that was in the National Championship game in Men's Basketball and winner's of a Bowl game in college football on a rebuilding season. Even in Wisconsin down year in basketball they are going to make the tournament for the 17th straight season. Your previous legendary coach had an extramarital affair and it was news for about two seconds yesterday. I get why you want Mike Eaves gone, it's been two historically bad seasons. Just remember he also won a National Championship and was a National Championship Runner-up during his tenure. Sure he swung and missed on a few guys and didn't get a player like Will Butcher, but times have changed the era of plucking the best Gopher/Sioux rejects and cream of crop Chicagoland players is gone (UMD, SCSU, MSU-M, Omaha for MN players and Notre Dame, Miami for Chicagoland). The program thrived in the middle to late 2000's, because the state of Wisconsin produced a good amount of talent. However, just like every other program, players jumped ship to the pros early and the other factors have caught up to them. I no doubt expect the program to be competent in the coming years, but you might want to get used to down years, because you cannot reload like the Gophers just because you have six national titles. Also, if you think Barry needs to go, just let me tell you as a U follower the bleep going down in Dinkytown makes all the news out of Madison look like page 8 buried stories. Barry is trying to get money to buy out the Hockey coach speaks more to what Alvarez has to deal with when his former U counterpart who was outed for sexual harassment/assault got the freedom to offer the basketball coach who couldn't even make the NIT a ridiculous bonus and buyout so he wouldn't jump ship to Alabama for BASKETBALL.
              Get used to down years? Really?
              No, we will never "get used" to down years. Shut your cake hole, none of us post this type of garbage in gopher threads
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

1. It's funny to see a gophers fan talk about being entitled and spoiled on a college hockey board.

2. Barry Alvarez was a football coach. I was Pat Richter and David Ward who were in charge of things when the athletic department's turnaround occurred. Alvarez was one of the pieces to the puzzle. He was brought in to lead the football tem - he wasn't reponsible for the entire athletic department.

Comment

Also, if you want to talk about entitlement, talk about all those fans who were offended by Diamond Stone choosing Maryland over UW. Talk about football fans acting like there's no good reason for Wisconsin to not have a steady stream of Russell Wilson clones. Don't talk about fans expressing concern and anger in response to the men's hockey program as we know it dying. Yes, dying. The colossal drop in attendance, media coverage, and general fan interest (even among hockey fans) is moving the program into uncharted territory. To write this up to "down years" is ridiculous.

Comment

BTW congrats to the women's team. Another shut-out for Ann-Renée Desbiens and the "D" corps. They, and MN, are **** good. I can't believe that BC is better than both, but we shall see.

I found myself yelling at the refs and some of the goof girls for flopping around, just like I "used to" for UW-UMN men's games!
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      Get used to down years? Really?
                      No, we will never "get used" to down years. Shut your cake hole, none of us post this type of garbage in gopher threads
                      you probably would if we were the embarrassingly worst team in a really bad Big Ten two years in a row.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        BTW congrats to the women's team. Another shut-out for Ann-Renée Desbiens and the "D" corps. They, and MN, are **** good. I can't believe that BC is better than both, but we shall see.

I found myself yelling at the refs and some of the goof girls for flopping around, just like I "used to" for UW-UMN men's games!
                        They could have called a few more penalties on the rodents, especially in the 2nd period. It was really neat to listen to Jack Swanson calling a game. I remember when he and Bill Brophy did the men's games on 1070 while Paul Braun and Bill Howard did them on 1310. Imagine that, UW men's hockey was SO popular 2 competing radio stations could carry the games and there were enough interested advertisers to make it happen. Ah, the glory years. I was a 1310 guy myself.

Hopefully the lads hang more than a few on the rodents next weekend and spoil their last home series.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          you probably would if we were the embarrassingly worst team in a really bad Big Ten two years in a row.
                          No I wouldn't. I don't rip other teams or fans in their threads.

despite my hatred for all things gophers I wouldn't pop in to your threads to instigate or kick the team when they're down
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

As a Gophers fan my whole life,
                            Uh, okay...

Originally posted by shiftyjedi View Post
                            reading this thread and seeing stuff like Barry Alverez needs to go is a reminder of how incredibly entitled, naive, and spoiled many Wisconsin Badger fans are. Ever since Barry stepped on the UW campus the UW athletics went from a bottom feeder ... blah blah blah a bunch of nonsense a Barry-loving football-only fan would say
                            Ill put it gently, you clearly have no idea what the hell youre talking about.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Q. Was the learning, that they somehow survived that third period, or was it learning that this wasn't quite good enough, we've got to do it differently in order to survive in more cases?
                              COACH EAVES: It was interesting watching the game yesterday at home. I kept writing "SL" down, "SL" "SL", story line, what's the story line here? In terms of things that we were doing in the third period, that weren't the things we talked about or diagrammed, and until you're in that situation and you live it, you have to walk through it and step on the coals do you find out how really hot it is. So we'll look at those story lines here. We won't look at the whole third period but there was definitely themes that we can do better, and we will be better at because of this week and the experience that we had on Saturday.

Wow.....just....WOW

Comment

Originally posted by Bratbill View Post
                                Q. Was the learning, that they somehow survived that third period, or was it learning that this wasn't quite good enough, we've got to do it differently in order to survive in more cases?
                                COACH EAVES: It was interesting watching the game yesterday at home. I kept writing "SL" down, "SL" "SL", story line, what's the story line here? In terms of things that we were doing in the third period, that weren't the things we talked about or diagrammed, and until you're in that situation and you live it, you have to walk through it and step on the coals do you find out how really hot it is. So we'll look at those story lines here. We won't look at the whole third period but there was definitely themes that we can do better, and we will be better at because of this week and the experience that we had on Saturday.

Wow.....just....WOW
                                Yea, makes you wonder what is actually going through his head.

Comment

Working...
                                X