Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the $415k that eaves made last year for that 4 win performance, reported in that article. Would definitely be nice to make $100,000 per win. I can see why he wouldn't resign.
    I also recall reading that the Athletic Department projected a loss of $400,000 in ticket revenue this year. The buyout looks a lot like a wash

Comment

I was bored and curious tonight.

OT record in the last 10 years is 8-20-47 (3 wins came in one season 13/14)

This year, take away the wins against ASU, which is a D3/club team and we once again have only 4 wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post

This year, take away the wins against ASU, which is a D3/club team and we once again have only 4 wins.
        Criticize ASU as much as you want. But remember, Penn State used to be that bad and look where they are today. Some of you need some foresight.
        WISCONSIN BADGERS
        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post

And two wins are Alaska ranked 55 of 60 teams in div 1 (ASU is 59).
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
            Criticize ASU as much as you want. But remember, Penn State used to be that bad and look where they are today. Some of you need some foresight.
            The point Bucky was making is they are bad this year....not a rip on a first year div 1 team. Just shows how bad things are in Madison......
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              And two wins are Alaska ranked 55 of 60 teams in div 1 (ASU is 59).
              And Alaska's star player/Hobey candidate did not play in the Saturday game, and was banged up Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Can we draw any parallels to the Pete Waite situation in VB? He had a lot of success, especially early, then things sort of petered out for him. I assume he was let go for performance issues. His replacement certainly is a home run. BA and JK should use that situation as an example of how easily things can be turned around. If one looks at that, MM is in the same boat as Waite was. Now that Gard is out of the way, it's Kelsey's turn, then MM.
                Well, I wouldn't call Waite's replacement a home run yet… Carlini is just a fantastic setter, and perhaps the lone reason for our success. She was recruited by Waite (and was the #1 recruit in the nation), and decided to stay despite the coaching change. We may have had that success with Waite as coach anyway…and it remains to be seen if Sheffield will maintain the recent success after Carlini graduates.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  The point Bucky was making is they are bad this year....not a rip on a first year div 1 team. Just shows how bad things are in Madison......
                  Correct, that was my point. I hope ASU does quite well soon, it is good for college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                    Well, I wouldn't call Waite's replacement a home run yet… Carlini is just a fantastic setter, and perhaps the lone reason for our success. She was recruited by Waite (and was the #1 recruit in the nation), and decided to stay despite the coaching change. We may have had that success with Waite as coach anyway…and it remains to be seen if Sheffield will maintain the recent success after Carlini graduates.
                    Just the kind of insight I was looking for. Thanks.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by goofy gopher View Post
                      From an outsiders prospective it sure seems like Eaves will get another year. One less year to have to buy out,and maybe they are headed in the right direction with recruits and younger players. The pitch last year MUST have been to rebuild and the administration must have been comfortable with Eaves and new staff doing the rebuilding.
                      This is not too far off base. JK seems to be buying it too.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Now that Gard is out of the way, it's Kelsey's turn, then MM.
                        Dominoes are starting to fall. Sounds like Gard's contract is in full negotiation mode and sounds like the axe is about to fall on Kelsey maybe as soon as today.

While that may not give any direct indication of which way they are going with Eaves, it's not like they will have too many things to do when the season ends in two weeks. Jason King doesn't oversee women's basketball so it should be all hands on deck dealing with the men's hockey situation.

It's sad that all the buzz about men's hockey in March has nothing to do with anything on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post

It's sad that all the buzz about men's hockey in March has nothing to do with anything on the ice.
                          It would be fun to actually spend time talking about a player's great pass or clutch goal or game-saving kick save again someday.

Comment

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                            It would be fun to actually spend time talking about a player's great pass or clutch goal or game-saving kick save again someday.
                            I think with the right coach, the program is going to turn around quite fast. We have some nice forward recruits coming in (as well as some nice forwards already on the team), just need to shore up the backend of things.

On the attendance side of things, I think it will take a few good years to gain back some of the casual fans.

Comment

I think with the right coach, the program is going to turn around quite fast. We have some nice forward recruits coming in (as well as some nice forwards already on the team), just need to shore up the backend of things.

On the attendance side of things, I think it will take a few good years to gain back some of the casual fans.
                              I agree regarding the casual fan, (I don't trust the incoming talent, yet), but I think with a coaching change, attendance will bounce back immediately with the hockey faithful. After all, that's what we've been asking for, eh?

I'm really getting anxious about this season to end. It used to be, "How far will we go this year?" Now it's, "Will Eaves get replaced?"
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-04-2016, 10:53 AM.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

if you're bored you can look at all sorts of things over MM's tenure here. I still update this after every game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=212247426

Comment

Working...
                                X