Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Wow. No tickets sold in the upper deck? Money (or lack thereof) may yet convince the various admins how terrible this idea was.

Eliminating historic and/or regional rivalries was a huge mistake.

A couple of other thoughts
    ...The idea of moving the tourney to Chicago might work for the tournament or it might fail terribly. That wouldn't address the problem of fan apathy towards the other schools though...

I honestly cared more about Michigan and MSU when the college hockey showcase was around. I wanted UW and Minnesota to thrash the ccha'ers
    Based on geography alone, even if every team was highly nationally ranked the conference tournament was going to be down. UMN and UW accounted for about half the tickets in the WCHA days, the other programs accounted for the other half.

I think that given the niche nature of the hockey programs fan base, the geography involved, and the costs of renting a NHL arena; I would not be surprised if the conference once again pushes to have the tournament hosted in on-campus sites. This is very similar to the issue with the NCAA regionals in the West.

if they can build the conference tournament up into a must-attend much-anticipated event, things might change, but personally I don't see that happening for many years.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      Based on geography alone, even if every team was highly nationally ranked the conference tournament was going to be down. UMN and UW accounted for about half the tickets in the WCHA days, the other programs accounted for the other half.

I think that given the niche nature of the hockey programs fan base, the geography involved, and the costs of renting a NHL arena; I would not be surprised if the conference once again pushes to have the tournament hosted in on-campus sites. This is very similar to the issue with the NCAA regionals in the West.

if they can build the conference tournament up into a must-attend much-anticipated event, things might change, but personally I don't see that happening for many years.
      I think you're right and it really ticks me off. The annual pilgrimage to the Final Five was one of my favorite annual rituals. Like hunting camp, without the frostbite.

Comment

In alumni news, Justin Schultz' disappointing season in Edmonton has ended with a trade to Pittsburgh.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Wow. No tickets sold in the upper deck? Money (or lack thereof) may yet convince the various admins how terrible this idea was.

Eliminating historic and/or regional rivalries was a huge mistake.

A couple of other thoughts
          ...The idea of moving the tourney to Chicago might work for the tournament or it might fail terribly. That wouldn't address the problem of fan apathy towards the other schools though...

I honestly cared more about Michigan and MSU when the college hockey showcase was around. I wanted UW and Minnesota to thrash the ccha'ers

OK, so I'm a lowly Bowling Green guy trolling your thread and I know no one cares about my opinion, but our barn is packed when OSU, Miami State, or Western roll into town. You can shoot a cannon off in the place without hitting anyone when Bemidji shows up. And while the Beaver fans are good people, I'm not looking to make a 15+ hour road trip to the middle of Nowheresville, MN to cheer my team on.

You folks aren't the only fans longing for the old days...

Comment

Just about the only good thing to come out of the realignment is Penn State enjoying themselves/paving the way for other schools (with $100 million to burn) to join the party, and I guess putting MTU and NMU back into a conference together (even if they played each other regularly regardless).

Sucked for almost everyone else. Unless there's a NCHC team or two that're happy to be rid of the western "minnows".

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Just about the only good thing to come out of the realignment is Penn State enjoying themselves/paving the way for other schools (with $100 million to burn) to join the party, and I guess putting MTU and NMU back into a conference together (even if they played each other regularly regardless).

Sucked for almost everyone else. Unless there's a NCHC team or two that're happy to be rid of the western "minnows".
              The Nanooks and Seawolves also get an extra series with one another, similar to the reuniting of the UP. (And in no way should this comment be seen as a comprehensive look at the "pros" list.)

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                The Nanooks and Seawolves also get an extra series with one another, similar to the reuniting of the UP. (And in no way should this comment be seen as a comprehensive look at the "pros" list.)
                What would a comprehensive look even yield? At least on the first look for all the fans of western teams here on this board, I'm not even sure which ones even have a majority that feel good about the shakeup.

Comment

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                  I'm getting the sense that the people in charge of the Big Ten tourney are getting nervous. I've attended the Final Five/Big Ten Tourney every year since 1999 (except last year in Detroit). Last week, I got a personal call with a follow up email from someone in the ticket office asking if I had thought about renewing my tickets. The email showed they were only selling lower bowl seats. Seats in the club level were limited to neutral ice. What a huge change from the magic of the Final Five.
                  I got one of those emails also. It's not just a bulk email deal either, I changed phones in 2015 and the email mentioned they were unable to reach me on the phone. Lucky for them, they don't want to hear what I have to say about the B1GMistake tourny.

Comment

Gwoz watch... here or Sparty?

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                      Gwoz watch... here or Sparty?
                      Gwoz is 62. I wonder how much he would want to be a part of a rebuilding effort. Don't get me wrong, I respect the heck out of the guy. Great coach. I just wonder if that "ship has sailed".

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        In alumni news, Justin Schultz' disappointing season in Edmonton has ended with a trade to Pittsburgh.
                        Disappointing season or career in Edmonton? Things have not gone the way as planned for Schultz in the NHL. Hopefully, a change of scenery can jump start his career. He is still quite young.

Comment

I know that this is a bit off topic but....It is time for the annual College Hockey Trip for 6 guys from Rochester, MN. This year Penn St at UW Mar 03/04. You will know it is us when you see a WI Fan sitting with a MN fan and SCSU fan. We could use your help. Is there a good place for Friday Fish? We are staying at the DoubleTree. Thanks for the Help!!!
                          Yearly College Hockey Trips
                          St. Cloud - Best Bar (Red Carpet)
                          North Dakota - First Jägerbomb
                          Northern Michigan - Friendliest Hockey Fans (tink-tink-ta-tink)
                          Michigan Tech - Best Ice Sculptures
                          Mankato - Denver wins the cup in OT
                          Nebraska-Omaha - Biggest Weiner
                          Bemidji State - Best Beaver Tour
                          Duluth - Sandman KO'd but wins on a DQ
                          St. Cloud - Great Band
                          Northern Michigan - She gave my beads back

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                            Gwoz is 62. I wonder how much he would want to be a part of a rebuilding effort. Don't get me wrong, I respect the heck out of the guy. Great coach. I just wonder if that "ship has sailed".
                            He might enjoy his High School coaching job better.

Comment

If you're looking for the best fish fry experience I'd recommend checking out http://www.madisonfishfry.com/ for a ton of comprehensive reviews. Since you're going to be downtown at the DoubleTree there will be a lot of places within walking distance.

Comment

Originally posted by UnWanted22 View Post
                                I know that this is a bit off topic but....It is time for the annual College Hockey Trip for 6 guys from Rochester, MN. This year Penn St at UW Mar 03/04. You will know it is us when you see a WI Fan sitting with a MN fan and SCSU fan. We could use your help. Is there a good place for Friday Fish? We are staying at the DoubleTree. Thanks for the Help!!!
                                I'm not big into Fish Fry, my wife seems to enjoy Vintage on Whitney Way, Fat Jack's in monona 5100 in McFarland and Toby's in McFarland (though apparently that's weird in how they serve, you may not have the time)

I think there's one or two other places she likes but I cant' remember.

Comment

Working...
                                X