Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

I'd soil myself in joy if we could get Granato with assistants Oz and Strand, but God only knows how many trucks of cash you'd need to make that actually happen.

The good news is that this is a prime job opportunity.

The chance to awaken a sleeping giant, great facilities... I have high hopes for what kind of candidates we might attract.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      Agree with both of you on the UW guys and Mark Johnson. I think going outside the UW crowd could be a good thing.

What about Steve Miller?
      excellent coach and recruiter. But Seems the Miller family wants to be in Colorado. But both Steve and his wife are from Wisconsin.
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Condolences to our fellow hockey brethren over the loss of your coach. It's never enjoyable seeing bad things happen to good people.

Mike Eaves did a lot for the Badger hockey program.

Hopefully time will be more favorable to his contributions than the past two years have been.

Good luck finding his successor.

Comment

The madison.com article that mentioned 3 names outside the Wisconsin family intrigued me. Primarily the head coach at Union. And I base that entirely on how much fun they were to watch in the Frozen Four 2 years ago. Having Shayne Gostisbehere on your team helps considerably, but it was a far more enjoyable style of play than what Wisconsin had played for so long. I'd be completely OK with someone like that coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            how many trucks of cash
            I don't think there's much money for 3 new coaches left after they pay MM the next 3 years.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              I don't think there's much money for 3 new coaches left after they pay MM the next 3 years.
              Wisconsin has far more cash in their back pocket from the buyout clause of losing 2 different football coaches in the last half dozen years then they will ever pay MM. Bielsma netted the school $1 million and Anderson was $3 million. Eaves lifetime total compensation probably only starts to sniff those football buyouts.
              Last edited by markwojo; 03-18-2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Now we wait and see how many of 22 potential rostered forwards next year end up on the team.

Also, are you bringing in Stillwell (small, undrafted D without great numbers) over Parsells (huge drafted D) next year?
                Last edited by Bonin21; 03-18-2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Now we wait and see how many of 22 potential rostered forwards next year end up on the team.

Also, are you bringing in Stillwell (small, undrafted D without great numbers) over Parsells (huge drafted D) next year?
                  Glad this didn't happen last year: UND probably would not have gotten Boeser.

Comment

Wondering if it's possible the new head coach at least keeps the current assistants for now. Will head coach have final say on that right off the bat? I know they have only been on the job for a year.

Comment

I'm way less concerned about the 22 forwards then I am the D. If you keep Kunin and Besse and end up with Fredrick showing up on campus, that would be as talented and deep a group of forwards as we've had in a long time. The D group is subpar relative to recent UW standards and will require some smoke and mirrors (which Oz did with the group from the first title team...especially guys like Drewiske, Engel, and Piskula who were all relatively unheralded and undrafted...and somehow all developed into being paid to play hockey....2 at the NHL level).

On assistant coaches....I would imagine one stays and one is replaced by the new guys hand picked guy. Way easier to transition with someone as a holdover and Eaves had the AD open the checkbook to help him try to make things work out and I think he got at least one quality guy out of the hiring he did. Although he whiffed on the top tier guys he tried to get (Oz, Granato, & Harbison)...I'm pretty sure Strand is a solid assistant.

Comment

Agree if the big three F are all there next year you have a huge imbalance of talent between F and D.

Comment

I have a prospective coach (not sure if he has already been mentioned) - what about Cary Eades?
                          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                            I have a prospective coach (not sure if he has already been mentioned) - what about Cary Eades?
                            We were wondering in another thread that we needed some more "water bottle" moments in the B1G...
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post

According to Elite Prospects, both are looking to enroll next season, but from the last I have heard Stillwell is supposed to be a 2017 still (could change though with a new coaching staff.)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...0=2017&status=
                              Last edited by gwhinwi; 03-18-2016, 03:57 PM.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Don't take EliteProspects as any kind of source of truth for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X