Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    And don't forget then he cheaped the building out when it was built. It's a shell of what it was supposed to be.
    Could you elaborate? I haven't been to Madison much in recent years and haven't been inside LB yet.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Could you elaborate? I haven't been to Madison much in recent years and haven't been inside LB yet.
      1 full concession stand for starters.
      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
      sigpic
      Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        They ditched the theater seating and went with benches with backs, which is huge. Those benches are narrow and tight.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• It's a great day for hockey!
          Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

madison.com article

Things I learned: Strand signed a 2-year contract; MJ will "at least talk" to Barry; Don Granato's interest "has increased"
            Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
            Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
            sigpic
            Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
              madison.com article

Things I learned: Strand signed a 2-year contract; MJ will "at least talk" to Barry; Don Granato's interest "has increased"
              Hastings mentioned in that article and I think that he would be great, but he just upped his contract and would have a large buyout. Leaman was mentioned on Twitter. Providence coach who won N/C couple years back. I think you could look to other USHL or DIII coaches to. Tim Cophlin should be interviewed if he is interested. His teams at St Norberts are like Bo at Platteville.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

And Mark Johnson would not be a good choice. He has been too long away from the Men's game and men's recruiting in my opinion.

Anyone think Strand would be retained?
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

I think he and Bittner could be. The connections to the recruits alone might be worth hanging onto him for a year. I guess that depends on how the new head coach feels about the incoming kids though.
                  Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

So....now that the ax has fallen...I can share where I had heard Eaves was going going gone in the beginning of this thread. I had heard from someone in Oz's camp that change was coming. I don't know whether that was/is from the standpoint that Oz is a candidate to replace Eaves or more that he knows enough people that if it was know Eaves was going he would know.

On candidates...."Wisconsin" guys should probably be Don Granato, Oz, Gwoz, Tony Granato and Mark Johnson in that order. Honestly wouldn't go beyond the top two in that list before looking outside (if you don't do that right off the bat). I think Johnson would be a mistake...to far removed from mens game and was part of the problem at the end of the Sauer regime. I fear you'll screw up both mens and womens program in one fell swoop.

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                      So....now that the ax has fallen...I can share where I had heard Eaves was going going gone in the beginning of this thread. I had heard from someone in Oz's camp that change was coming. I don't know whether that was/is from the standpoint that Oz is a candidate to replace Eaves or more that he knows enough people that if it was know Eaves was going he would know.

On candidates...."Wisconsin" guys should probably be Don Granato, Oz, Gwoz, Tony Granato and Mark Johnson in that order. Honestly wouldn't go beyond the top two in that list before looking outside (if you don't do that right off the bat). I think Johnson would be a mistake...to far removed from mens game and was part of the problem at the end of the Sauer regime. I fear you'll screw up both mens and womens program in one fell swoop.
                      I agree on your list and agree Don Granato an Oz should be the top 2. At this point I'd put Don as the priority. With his track record and now connection with usntdp it's a no-brainer.

Maybe, just maybe Tony Granato could be his assistant. That would be HUGE.

I like Mark Johnson bit agree with your assessment of why he should not be considered.

I hope Don is calling both Barry and Pat Richter right now

EDIT: I don't think you can tell an incoming HC who his assistants will be. They might pitch Strand and Bittner but ultimately I think the HC has to be given complete control. Buy out Strand of you have to
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Agree with both of you on the UW guys and Mark Johnson. I think going outside the UW crowd could be a good thing.

What about Steve Miller?

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          I agree on your list and agree Don Granato an Oz should be the top 2. At this point I'd put Don as the priority. With his track record and now connection with usntdp it's a no-brainer.

Maybe, just maybe Tony Granato could be his assistant. That would be HUGE.

I like Mark Johnson bit agree with your assessment of why he should not be considered.

I hope Don is calling both Barry and Pat Richter right now
                          Only one Granato on the staff at a time. I don't want to suffer through another staff inexperienced in NCAA roster management (arguably that was Eaves downfall)

Personally, Oz is my choice, particularly if he's willing to keep Strand and Bittner on as assistant coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            I'll preface this by saying I would like to see Coach Johnson stay with the women's program. However, I don't see why he wouldn't at least be considered for the men's position. If the right assistants were in place, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have success. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but he had zero experience coaching women prior to getting that job and they were a national contender within two years.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              And Mark Johnson would not be a good choice. He has been too long away from the Men's game and men's recruiting in my opinion.

Absolutely not. A clean sweep is a necessity and I'm sure the incoming coach doesn't want any hangers on. Everybody beeotched when Eaves was retained and Gary Shuchuk and Matt Walsh were whacked. This is my same reasoning. I know they just came on board, but as Tony Soprano once said..."I'm trying to do a little business here". Strand left a pretty good gig with the USHL Capitols.

EDIT: I really like how mark and wojo think (in the Wisconsin camp). But, and this is a big but, wouldn't it be something if Tony has had his fill of the NHL and decided to slow down just a little? 14 years coaching in the NHL and 14 years playing brings a ton of knowledge AND respect.

A fact I had no idea about; Tony's sis Cammi is married to "The Little Ball of Hate" Ray Ferraro! I really didn't know!
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-18-2016, 12:58 PM.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

No Johnson, keep the gals on top of the world. No need in risking that program. Give MJ a big raise. He deserves it.

I'm not convinced OZ is the right guy. He didn't set OSU in fire in terms of results but he is one heck of a great recruiter for sure.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X