Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Since we haven't heard anything about the assistant coaches yet, you have to think that they're burning up the cell minutes talking to all of the recruits at this point.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

I think it is a good sign that they did it so quickly with all the postseason things going on. They must have made up their minds before this weekend.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Clearly this decision was locked and loaded going into the Big Ten tournament. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I would have liked this coming down on Sunday night/Monday morning. I don't want any distractions for the women's team out in New Hampshire and you just know that Coach Johnson will be asked about it, whether or not he has any interest in the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
          Clearly this decision was locked and loaded going into the Big Ten tournament. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I would have liked this coming down on Sunday night/Monday morning. I don't want any distractions for the women's team out in New Hampshire and you just know that Coach Johnson will be asked about it, whether or not he has any interest in the job.
          I don't disagree with this. I think that you let the staff & team know now, but hold off on the official press release until Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
            I think the immediacy plays to the fact that they want the fans to know the urgency in getting this ship turned in the right direction. I don't think it will affect the women's program at all. I doubt there is any press setting than the Patty Kazmaier thing on Saturday and the post game presser today, both of which happen after the rodent tilt today.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
              I don't disagree with this. I think that you let the staff & team know now, but hold off on the official press release until Monday.
              No way in today's world that this news stays out of the public if staff and team are told, and the AD looks bad. If you want it out of the public realm, then Alvarez needed to hold off entirely until Monday. That was probably the best way for all concerned. Given it didn't happen that way speaks to how much blood was in the water. Some important people wanted it done and done now.
              Last edited by srkbadger; 03-18-2016, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
                No way in today's world that this news stays out of the public if staff and team are told, and they AD looks bad. If you want it out of the public, then Alvarez needed to hold off entirely until Monday. That was probably the best way for all concerned. Given it didn't happen that way speaks to how much blood was in the water. Some important people wanted it done and done now.
                I know that it would not stay private, but they would not have to officially anounce the change until Monday.

Comment

From his Baggott mouthpiece:

Alvarez's approach to hockey has been interpreted by some as indifference, but he made building LaBahn Arena a priority and now the $27.9 million facility, completed in 2012, gives the men's and women's programs unsurpassed accommodations.
                  Hey, remember when Barry tried to put that project on hold and publicly called out hockey alumni for not pitching in as much as he wanted? Yeah, let's remember that when Barry tries to pat himself on the back for "making it a priority".

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...t-on-hold.html

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...-facility.html

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

That's some serious ret-con work there, Baggott.
                  Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 03-18-2016, 09:52 AM.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I guess a congratulations is in order. As much as I detest you all, Wisconsin deserves a great hockey program. Good luck with the search.
                    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                      Again, thanks to coach Eaves for his efforts, but it's time to start over.

Thank goodness this is finally over.
                      I've been pretty critical of MM through the last couple of years and it's obvious that we needed a change. Having said that, I think it's bittersweet to move on. Regardless of how things ended, Mike Eaves should be respected for what he brought to the University as a player and for the national championship in 2006. He rightfully is no longer our coach but he will always be a Badger. Thanks and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                        The truth was that Barry knew he had a very strict timeline.

Comment

Really? No buyout clause? Really? Have to pay him for the whole contract.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Why all the talk of it should have waited until Monday....the real view should be why was Barry 365 days late in firing MM? Would you prefer that some other college has the chance to pull the trigger on either Oz or Granato? It was time to go and Barry can now go watch some hoops and hopefully another women's national championship without the distraction of Mike Eaves. With 4 wins last year and 7 this year (with 4 of the wins being ASU and Alaska) quite frankly I think he did it exactly right in showing the hockey world that he can actually make a decision!

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
                              Why all the talk of it should have waited until Monday....the real view should be why was Barry 365 days late in firing MM? Would you prefer that some other college has the chance to pull the trigger on either Oz or Granato? It was time to go and Barry can now go watch some hoops and hopefully another women's national championship without the distraction of Mike Eaves. With 4 wins last year and 7 this year (with 4 of the wins being ASU and Alaska) quite frankly I think he did it exactly right in showing the hockey world that he can actually make a decision!
                              8 wins this year.
                              WISCONSIN BADGERS
                              NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                              WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                              WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                              B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                              Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                From his Baggott mouthpiece:

Hey, remember when Barry tried to put that project on hold and publicly called out hockey alumni for not pitching in as much as he wanted? Yeah, let's remember that when Barry tries to pat himself on the back for "making it a priority".

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...t-on-hold.html

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...-facility.html

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

That's some serious ret-con work there, Baggott.
                                And don't forget then he cheaped the building out when it was built. It's a shell of what it was supposed to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X