X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    Fitting that Chuck loses the final SOG tilt of the year36/33. NODAK clearly the dominant team. Q's work ethic could not overcome NODAK's talent.
    That may be true but at least his beloved Red Wings are in the playoffs... On another note wow, what a dominant team to be sure...(NoDak) No truer words were ever spoken regarding work ethic v talent..and Q had talent. Welp, another season come and gone..long way to October! Hope everyone here has a great off season (we've been off for awhile). Looking forward to seeing if they (UNH) do lower the ST prices, and eagerly await Airforce?!?
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-10-2016, 08:00 AM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      That may be true but at least his beloved Red Wings are in the playoffs... On another note wow, what a dominant team to be sure...(NoDak) No truer words were ever spoken regarding work ethic v talent..and Q had talent. Welp, another season come and gone..long way to October! Hope everyone here has a great off season (we've been off for awhile).
      Yup. The B's no show performance stunning. Will Claude survive is the question. Have a great off-season Ref!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Yup. The B's no show performance stunning. Will Claude survive is the question. Have a great off-season Ref!
        Thanks! As a teacher of course I already have the count down to summer vacation, but I also begin the count down to walking into the 'Whitt!! Not to discuss the b's too much here but yeah, very disheartening...and I wouldn't be surprised if they fire CJ although I'm not sure it's really all his fault...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          and I wouldn't be surprised if they fire CJ although I'm not sure it's really all his fault...
          Not that it is credible to assert that there is any correlation, but it sure was strange that ever since they had that "ceremony" honoring him as the winningest coach in B's history, the team completely tanked. I can't imagine he did anything significantly differently than he has done his entire coaching career. I get the whole "scapegoat" thing, but in this case, (and I have been ranting about this for decades), this team has had NO offense since the Bobby Orr days. The organization has never adapted to how the game is played now. They still think they can win with "goal prevention." The reality is, if Luongo doesn't completely implode in 2011 (and Thomas doesn't stand on his head), this team has still not won a cup in 44 years. Frankly, I place the blame squarely on "lunch pail Cam." He just doesn't seem to value "skill" players, as if they're some kind of wimps. He'd rather have a no-talent "hard-working" guy who couldn't score if he was shooting at a 12 x 8 net. They'll probably trade Pastenak next...

Comment

Need to get rid of Sweeney and Neely. It's their meathead philosophy that has driven away talent in favor of grit (witness trading Seguin, Kessel, Hamilton), and passing on the most obvious picks/talent last year in the draft (Barzal and Connor). Not enough sandpaper -- need to make other teams not want to play against us.

I know Chiarelli made the Seguin trade, but if you are the assistant gm, you need to speak up vocally. Oh, and Donny, if you are rebuilding, then you trade assets before they expire (Erickson, Chara).
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              Need to get rid of Sweeney and Neely. It's their meathead philosophy that has driven away talent in favor of grit (witness trading Seguin, Kessel, Hamilton), and passing on the most obvious picks/talent last year in the draft (Barzal and Connor). Not enough sandpaper -- need to make other teams not want to play against us.

I know Chiarelli made the Seguin trade, but if you are the assistant gm, you need to speak up vocally. Oh, and Donny, if you are rebuilding, then you trade assets before they expire (Erickson, Chara).
              Well I can't disagree with you here. I could be wrong but I thought Claude wanted Seguin and Kessel gone though! Who knows?
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Need to get rid of Sweeney and Neely
                Didn't I just say that? (I know I'm a little more long-winded than most...)

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Not that it is credible to assert that there is any correlation, but it sure was strange that ever since they had that "ceremony" honoring him as the winningest coach in B's history, the team completely tanked. I can't imagine he did anything significantly differently than he has done his entire coaching career. I get the whole "scapegoat" thing, but in this case, (and I have been ranting about this for decades), this team has had NO offense since the Bobby Orr days. The organization has never adapted to how the game is played now. They still think they can win with "goal prevention." The reality is, if Luongo doesn't completely implode in 2011 (and Thomas doesn't stand on his head), this team has still not won a cup in 44 years. Frankly, I place the blame squarely on "lunch pail Cam." He just doesn't seem to value "skill" players, as if they're some kind of wimps. He'd rather have a no-talent "hard-working" guy who couldn't score if he was shooting at a 12 x 8 net. They'll probably trade Pastenak next...
                  Just goes to show what happens when you stay with the same old...same old...same old...this is a recording...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Just goes to show what happens when you stay with the same old...same old...same old...this is a recording...
                    Especially when it's ineffective...ineffective...ineffective...

Comment

Just to keep this thread on track, there are eery similarities between the Cats and B's: 1) both badly managed (compare UNH poor recruiting and decommits with B's bad drafting, trading, and ridiculously long expensive contracts to those who can no longer keep up on their skates), 2) bad coaching (for example, compare UNH stupid decisions on whom skates on first line and the first PP unit with B's dumb choices on whom gets the puck in shoot outs), 3) blueline players (both terribly inept now), 4) goaltending (if Tirone and Rask do not stand on their heads, their teams have no chance), and 5) no depth on forward lines (UNH had only one line that could score this past year, whereas the B's had two, but rarely in the same game). There is much more, of course, but I am typing on catankerous iPhone.

Comment

I get the whole "scapegoat" thing, but in this case, (and I have been ranting about this for decades), this team has had NO offense since the Bobby Orr days. The organization has never adapted to how the game is played now. They still think they can win with "goal prevention."
                        They're going to finish this season 5th in the league in goals scored. They scored more goals than the Blackhawks this year, and the Lightning, Kings, Canadians, Red Wings, Ducks.

And that's all without any defenseman who can start the offense, move the puck, or contribute in the offensive end.

I'm not happy with the team either but it doesn't help to completely misunderstand their problems just to support some long held, dear to the heart narrative that may have been true 15 years ago but isn't even remotely the case now.
                        I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                        How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                          They're going to finish this season 5th in the league in goals scored. They scored more goals than the Blackhawks this year, and the Lightning, Kings, Canadians, Red Wings, Ducks.

And that's all without any defenseman who can start the offense, move the puck, or contribute in the offensive end.

I'm not happy with the team either but it doesn't help to completely misunderstand their problems just to support some long held, dear to the heart narrative that may have been true 15 years ago but isn't even remotely the case now.
                          Whatever you say. How about this...scoring when it MATTERS. Great job yesterday in a game they HAD to win (and even if you say winning wouldn't have guaranteed them making the playoffs, they still had to win first to even have a chance) against a team with nothing to play for. One goal. Wow...those stats really mean a lot...

It doesn't help to score goals if you're going to lose 8-7. It's not being able to score them when you're trailing 2-1 that matters. The goals have to be timely...

Comment

Whatever you say. How about this...scoring when it MATTERS. Great job yesterday in a game they HAD to win (and even if you say winning wouldn't have guaranteed them making the playoffs, they still had to win first to even have a chance) against a team with nothing to play for. One goal. Wow...those stats really mean a lot...

It doesn't help to score goals if you're going to lose 8-7. It's not being able to score them when you're trailing 2-1 that matters. The goals have to be timely...
                            Actually it's not whatever I say, it's whatever NHL.com says. But thank you, I knew - KNEW - when I posted that that someone would come on here and try to tell me it was all just some 82 game, 7 month long anomaly. So thank you for confirming my lack of faith in human nature by not letting facts get in the way of your dearly held belief.

NHL Team Goals For Rank for Bruins
                            2016 - 5th
                            2015 - 22nd
                            2014 - 3rd
                            2013 - 13th
                            2012 - 2nd
                            2011 - 5th

They've finished in the top 5 in league scoring in 4 of the past 6 seasons yet they've "had NO offense since the Bobby Orr era".

I guess it's all one big half decade, hundreds of game anomaly.
                            I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                            How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                              Actually it's not whatever I say, it's whatever NHL.com says. But thank you, I knew - KNEW - when I posted that that someone would come on here and try to tell me it was all just some 82 game, 7 month long anomaly. So thank you for confirming my lack of faith in human nature by not letting facts get in the way of your dearly held belief.

2016 - 5th
                              2015 - 22nd
                              2014 - 3rd
                              2013 - 13th
                              2012 - 2nd
                              2011 - 5th

They've finished in the top 5 in league scoring in 4 of the past 6 seasons yet they've "had NO offense since the Bobby Orr era".

I said "timely"..they won 4 of their last 14 games. The problem with the Bruins is that they play at a high level, but when push comes to shove, they are unable to raise that level to another gear. That's why teams have superstars. The Red Sox have had great players, but until David Ortiz, they never had a player (except for Yaz in '67) that could put the team on their back and carry them to the championship (not that they won it that year, but they came within one game and an exhausted Game 7 starting pitcher). That's why a bunch of workmanlike players isn't good enough. It's great for consistency during the daily grind of a long season, but when the bright lights come on, you need that spectacular player. The Bruins organization wants everyone to fit into the same "mold." The reality in life is that sometimes you have to make exceptions for exceptional people. They're not like the rest of us. If Tiger Woods played a team sport, a good organization would overlook some of his "transgressions" because his value to the team would far outweigh them. But when Tyler Seguin had a few "issues," they got rid of him. When Phil Kessel didn't do whatever it was (I don't know...backcheck or dig in the corners enough or whatever excuse they made up) they wanted, they dumped him. Great. But who electrified the team and almost single-handedly won Game 5 in the 2011 Cup Finals? I don't think it was Shawn Thornton. As North Dakota proved last night, when championships are on the line, you have to have players that can raise their game to that elite level. When the Sioux did that, there was no way the Quinnipiac players could respond. I recall playoff series in the past where the Bruins were summarily drubbed out by the likes of Montreal, Carolina and Philadelphia. All of whom were arguably "not as good" that particular year. But...the reality is, they all raised their games. The Bruins had no other level to go to, because they were already at their maximum. Until this organization abandons the "lunch pail" concept and embraces skilled, elite, game-changing players, who change outcomes with their SPEED and SKILL, scenarios such as what we just witnessed over the past month will continue without abatement. And I don't care WHAT the statistics say. The only statistic that matters is the one that says the Bruins failed to make the playoffs...again.
                              Last edited by chickod; 04-10-2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post

2016 - 5th
                                2015 - 22nd
                                2014 - 3rd
                                2013 - 13th
                                2012 - 2nd
                                2011 - 5th

I knew that they were fifth in goals scored, but agree with chickod about inconsistency and bad tming this season. I need to take a closer look at goal distribution to see if I, too, am wrong about contributions from the third and fourth lines.

Comment

Working...
                                X