• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you love college hockey?

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    Please, enlighten me, idiot.
    The short version:

AF left CHA, leaving schools like UAH, BSU, etc in the lurch. No auto bid for the NCAA tourney, since you need 6 teams. CHA had an exception for a bit. Therefore, those schools latched onto other conferences (except UAH, b/c CCHA counted on Bowling Green folding, which was almost a done deal, until a last minute angel saved them). Those other conferences became bloated, some thought about divisions within the conference.

THEN, PSU came along, and with Barry Alvarez's ignorant arse, blew everything up and actually "solved" some problems with the bloated conferences, and created the B1G Mistake.

So, if Air Force never left the CHA, we might not be where we are today.

*dropsmic*
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Interesting perspective. What did Alvarez have to do with Big 14 hockey?
      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Interesting perspective. What did Alvarez have to do with Big 14 hockey?
        If you have paid attention to anything besides what color Kool-Aid you get to drink today, Alvarez thought there was money in the BTN Network with hockey, and also curried favor with the other sports, ALONG with the false dream that the B1G could get Notre Dame to join the B1G hockey, and with that, maybe they could get the ND FB team (which was a pipe dream).

Now run along, and let the grown-ups talk, son.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Big 14 hockey would have happened with or without Alvarez. Everyone knew there was money in BTN, that's why they founded the network. I'm not a big BA fan or a hater, but I don't think he's overwhelmingly responsible for Big 14 hockey. All of the school presidents and ADs are equally responsible, none of them had the intestinal fortitude to stand up and protect their hockey program, they were all intoxicated by dollars.

Now go play in traffic.
          CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Big 14 hockey would have happened with or without Alvarez. Everyone knew there was money in BTN, that's why they founded the network. I'm not a big BA fan or a hater, but I don't think he's overwhelmingly responsible for Big 14 hockey. All of the school presidents and ADs are equally responsible, none of them had the intestinal fortitude to stand up and protect their hockey program, they were all intoxicated by dollars.

Now go play in traffic.
            You do realize that UMN didn't want B1G hockey, but they had no choice. If they didn't join, they would have to withdraw from the other B1G sports, like football and basketball...

Like I said, let the adults talk, scooter.

Comment

Ah, so Jim Delaney was the knife that ended the WCHA and CCHA? Interesting. The Big 14 is the cancer of collegiate athletics.
              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded to my question about your love of college hockey. Cheerleaders and nachos. All part of the experience.
                So, now I am looking for fans who would like to be interviewed about their passion for the college game. I am working on a book about college hockey from the perspectives of the players, fans, band members, coaches and others who love the game. I have a description of the project that includes some of the questions I cover during the interviews which I can send to anyone who is interested. I can do phone interviews, or in person interviews if you in the New England area. You can get in touch with me a collegehockeyfanbook@gmail.com.
                I am also looking to connect with fans who regularly attend the Frozen Four regardless of who is playing. I will be in Tampa and perhaps could arrange interviews there, or I can do phone interviews later.
                Enjoy the conference championships! I hope your team wins.

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded in this thread. Cheerleaders and nachos- all part of the experience. I am working on a book about college hockey. I want to capture the passion that the fans, the players, the coaches and others associated with it have for the game. I have been interviewing fans, former players, coaches and officials over the past few months,and I would like to get more fan input. If you are interested in being interviewed to tell your story about your love of college hockey, I'd be happy to arrange a time. I can do the interview by phone or in person if you are in the New England area. It is stories like those posted in this thread that I am looking for. You can contact me at collegehockeyfanbook@gmail.com.

Comment

Working...
                  X