Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey's Greatest Upsets

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    Everything else is just one fans opinion over another, with many just picking when their favorite team got beat, or a team they hated lost. In hockey, many times all it takes for an upset is 2 people, a hot goalie, and a bad ref.
    And the problem is?

Of course it's all opinion, starting at square one. What's the definition of "Greatest?" Most Memorable? Biggest Impact? Most Unlikely? Post-Season Only? It's all pure Hot Stove League.

I'd add that most of us probably attended the games we've nominated. Memories tend to fade more quickly if you only saw a telecast. And for that matter, there were far fewer telecasts available back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      And the problem is?

Of course it's all opinion, starting at square one. What's the definition of "Greatest?" Most Memorable? Biggest Impact? Most Unlikely? Post-Season Only? It's all pure Hot Stove League.

I'd add that most of us probably attended the games we've nominated. Memories tend to fade more quickly if you only saw a telecast. And for that matter, there were far fewer telecasts available back in the day.
      No problem. I was just pointing out how #16 beating #1 was simple math.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
        HC over Minn.
        there isn't even a second place IMO

Comment

WCHA #7 Minnesota defeats WCHA #2 (and #2 ranked) Notre Dame in the 1st round of the 1977 WCHA playoffs. Notre Dame won the first game of a 2-game total goal series 5-1 and scored first the next night for a 5 goal cushion. Minnesota explodes for 8 straight goals (9 total on the night) and wins the series 10 goals to 7. I believe this was the only Herb Brooks team to finish a season with a losing record, or at the very least was his worst team at Minn. It was the first time Notre Dame hockey disappointed me. It would not be the last.

A runner-up for me might be Notre Dame's shocking upset of number 1 ranked Boston College in the 2004/2005 season, on a short-handed goal with 14 seconds left. That BC team won the Hockey East regular season and playoff championships and a game in the NCAA tourney. Morgan Cey made 50 saves against the Eagles and there were a ridiculous 20 PPs in that game. That edition of the Notre Dame hockey team was the single worst team I have ever followed, in any sport.
          Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 01-17-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            There's an article going around Twitter right now about Gopher hockey. In the article they called the Gophers 2014 title game loss to Union "greatest upset in hockey since the 1980 Miracle on Ice". While this is a simply laughable quote it got me thinking to what about other upsets in college hockey. I'd also note that their loss to Union was not an upset.

What is the greatest upset in college hockey? My vote is for the Holy Cross win over Minnesota in 2006. Gopher hockey was loaded with talent and if I recall correctly Holy Cross was only in the tournament because of an autobid. Other good upsets include BSU's run to the Frozen Four in 2009. I think they beat Denver and Air Force to go to the F4.

Your thoughts.
            Hands down the HC defeat of the way more talented Gophers. But like they say, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
              Hands down the HC defeat of the way more talented Gophers. But like they say, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
              Hot goalie, and bad reffing. MN did outshoot HC for the game. The goalie claimed it was the greatest game he ever played. The next game, he basically let the F'awks score at will.

now, this is lazy.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4UdUgDUz0A

Comment

Hot goalie, and bad reffing. MN did outshoot HC for the game. The goalie claimed it was the greatest game he ever played. The next game, he basically let the F'awks score at will.

now, this is lazy.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4UdUgDUz0A
                Let the Sioux score at will? Put the pipe down son. We were watching the game in our locker room after one of our state amateur tourney games. As soon as HC scored the lone gopher fan stormed out and never returned for our third place game. LOL
                Last edited by icehawk; 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM.
                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                  Let the Sioux score at will? Put the pipe down son. We were watching the game in our locker room after one of our state amateur tourney games. As soon as HC scored the lone gopher fan stormed out and never returned for our third place game. LOL
                  OK, since the gophers are the greatest team of all time, I can see how everyone would think them getting beat would be such an upset. thanks for reminding me how awesome the gophers are. Also, all the tickets were bought up by F'Awks fans, so it's not like any gopher fans had a chance to go. were those the highest priced tickets ever sold in North Dakota?

Comment

OK, since the gophers are the greatest team of all time, I can see how everyone would think them getting beat would be such an upset. thanks for reminding me how awesome the gophers are. Also, all the tickets were bought up by F'Awks fans, so it's not like any gopher fans had a chance to go. were those the highest priced tickets ever sold in North Dakota?
                    Coming from the guy who posted a youtube video of the gophers beating the Sioux. We know what program is the greatest of all time. Oh and I paid face value for my 4 tics.
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X