pairwise -- post jan 8th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: pairwise -- post jan 8th

Wodon has the placement of quinnipiac and michigan as 50/50. A couple interesting calls to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Wodon has the placement of quinnipiac and michigan as 50/50. A couple interesting calls to be made.
      Hopefully Jason Moy finishes soon and we can compare. He has the advantage of reading Wodon's bracket and reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
        Question as a BU fan. By your location I am assuming you are a North Dakota fan. Why to you think BU gets past 2 NCHC teams, #2 and #6 in both PWR and KRACH?
        I'm actually a Minnesota fan, but that is beside the point. I think that Hokey East as a conference is much stronger than the NCHC. Also, Denver and St. Cloud both have a history of losing in the regionals even when they are seeded higher than their opponent.
        National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
        National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
          I'm actually a Minnesota fan, but that is beside the point. I think that Hokey East as a conference is much stronger than the NCHC. Also, Denver and St. Cloud both have a history of losing in the regionals even when they are seeded higher than their opponent.
          Whereas Minnesota had the glittering record of losing to 15 seeds twice.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            wodon's guess from chn.com

Albany
            1. Quinnipiac vs. 16. RIT
            8. Lowell vs. 10. Yale

St. Paul
            2. St. Cloud State vs. 15. Ferris State
            6. Denver vs. 9. Boston University

Cincinnati
            3. North Dakota vs. 13. Northeastern
            7. Michigan vs. 12. Notre Dame

Worcester
            4. Providence vs. 14. Minnesota-Duluth
            5. Boston College vs. 11. Harvard
            That's the one we came up with in the press room at the Target Center tonight. Think they'll do anything they can to have Michigan and Notre Dame in Cincy for attendance. Having NoDak there is a bonus because NoDak fans will fly anywhere
            "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              wodon's guess from chn.com

Albany
              1. Quinnipiac vs. 16. RIT
              8. Lowell vs. 10. Yale

St. Paul
              2. St. Cloud State vs. 15. Ferris State
              6. Denver vs. 9. Boston University

Cincinnati
              3. North Dakota vs. 13. Northeastern
              7. Michigan vs. 12. Notre Dame

Worcester
              4. Providence vs. 14. Minnesota-Duluth
              5. Boston College vs. 11. Harvard
              I think that's probably what it will be as well, but I think that is a bit of a punishment for SCSU.

Has anyone ever won the NCAA Tournament by beating 4 conference tournament champions? North Dakota may have to do just that to raise their 8th title (Northeastern - Hockey East, Michigan - B1G, SCSU - NCHC, and Quinnipiac - ECAC).
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                I think that's probably what it will be as well, but I think that is a bit of a punishment for SCSU.

Has anyone ever won the NCAA Tournament by beating 4 conference tournament champions? North Dakota may have to do just that to raise their 8th title (Northeastern - Hockey East, Michigan - B1G, SCSU - NCHC, and Quinnipiac - ECAC).
                Can't be much harder than beating three number one seeds.
                Last edited by LTsatch; 03-20-2016, 12:11 AM.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  Can't be much harder than beating three number one seeds.
                  I suppose it depends on the year. Conference Tournament Champions are, arguably, playing their best hockey at tournament time. Not necessarily this year (and not necessarily in 2013 either ), but sometimes #1 seeds peak a bit too early and fade down the stretch a bit.
                  North Dakota

Comment

I suppose it depends on the year. Conference Tournament Champions are, arguably, playing their best hockey at tournament time. Not necessarily this year (and not necessarily in 2013 either ), but sometimes #1 seeds peak a bit too early and fade down the stretch a bit.
                    Funny, in '13 Yale failed to get out of it's conference semis, ending up well rested for the trip west. They are well rested again! I can see Northeastern making a Cinderella run, but we will most likely see QU and Michigan in the final. Many great teams in the tourney this year with the exception of 30 and 36.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

IMO: Cincy is the Region of Death this year, on first glance.

UND doesn't travel, they have fans that live EVERYWHERE. EVERY. WHERE.

(Why? Who the hell wants to live in NoDak?
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        Funny, in '13 Yale failed to get out of it's conference semis, ending up well rested for the trip west. They are well rested again! I can see Northeastern making a Cinderella run, but we will most likely see QU and Michigan in the final. Many great teams in the tourney this year with the exception of 30 and 36.
                        Michigan is a dark horse. They played 2 games against tournament teams (split @ BU). Their offense is electric, but they play some pretty pitiful defense at times.

Northeastern...yikes...they are playing great hockey. Not looking forward to that matchup for the Sioux.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Michigan is a dark horse. They played 2 games against tournament teams (split @ BU). Their offense is electric, but they play some pretty pitiful defense at times.

Northeastern...yikes...they are playing great hockey. Not looking forward to that matchup for the Sioux.
                          If Racine is on, good luck against MI. But, that is also the million dollar question.

Tonight, every time the Gophers touched the puck, they dropped 2 guys back, many times they dropped 3 back. No way an odd-man rush was happening. That's just the death shot for a team that is the Gophers' style. It all depended on Racine, and he played solid tonight.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            If Racine is on, good luck against MI. But, that is also the million dollar question.

Tonight, every time the Gophers touched the puck, they dropped 2 guys back, many times they dropped 3 back. No way an odd-man rush was happening. That's just the death shot for a team that is the Gophers' style. It all depended on Racine, and he played solid tonight.
                            It will be interesting to see how Michigan's attack stands up against teams that play solid Defense. Nobody in the Big Ten finished in the top half in the country in Team Defense. In contrast, Notre Dame finished 14th, Northeastern finished 20th, and North Dakota 3rd. That being said, the CCM line might just be the best line in college hockey, and if North Dakota and Michigan both advance, high-powered top lines have given the Sioux fits this season.
                            North Dakota

Comment

Interesting that Moy and Woden's brackets are identical. I'm going to guess that they stick closer to bracket integrity this year. I like Jayson's second to last bracket. With the former Sioux in Cincy attendance is not an issue there. The two east regionals will be lightly attended no matter how you slice them, so why bother?

East Regional (Albany):
                              14 Minnesota-Duluth vs. 4 Providence
                              11 Harvard vs. 5 Boston College

Northeast Regional (Worcester):
                              16 RIT vs. 1 Quinnipiac
                              10 Yale vs 8 Massachusetts-Lowell

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
                              13 Northeastern vs. 3 North Dakota
                              12 Notre Dame vs. 6 Denver

West Regional (St. Paul):
                              15 Ferris State vs. 2 St. Cloud State
                              9 Boston University vs. 7 Michigan
                              Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-20-2016, 12:53 AM.
                              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                                Interesting that Moy and Woden's bracket are identical. I'm going to guess that they stick closer to bracket integrity this year given the mess with PC last year--I like Jayson's second to last bracket.
                                East Regional (Albany):
                                14 Minnesota-Duluth vs. 4 Providence
                                11 Harvard vs. 5 Boston College

Northeast Regional (Worcester):
                                16 RIT vs. 1 Quinnipiac
                                10 Yale vs 8 Massachusetts-Lowell

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
                                13 Northeastern vs. 3 North Dakota
                                12 Notre Dame vs. 6 Denver

West Regional (St. Paul):
                                15 Ferris State vs. 2 St. Cloud State
                                9 Boston University vs. 7 Michigan
                                Michigan won't go to St. Paul - it's a flight for them where they can drive to Cincinnati. Not to mention they'll need MI for attendance in Cincinnati.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X