YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Re: 2016 Mariucci Classic: Minnesota, UConn, Harvard, Ferris State

Ugg, what a heart breaker.

A really great hockey game, though.

Comment

Excellent fast paced OT college hockey tonight with lots of shot attempts (Harvard/58, Gophers/57). The Gophers played a tough physical D game, but not mistake free committing an odd man rush turnover for Harvard for the winning goal in OT. Congrats to the Harvard Crimson, a talented and fast veteran team that I suspect will have a shot at a F4 appearance. As expected, Vesey looked like one of the top players in the nation.

For the Gophers, a disappointing loss when they had the lead with 5 min. left in the game. But in retrospect this team has greatly improved from its poor start to the season. They have to continue to face the lesson to eliminate the turnovers and close good teams out. But overall a good effort by a young Gopher team tonight against a veteran Harvard team that brought most of their players back from last season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          Excellent fast paced OT college hockey tonight with lots of shot attempts (Harvard/58, Gophers/57). The Gophers played a tough physical D game, but not mistake free committing an odd man rush turnover for Harvard for the winning goal in OT. Congrats to the Harvard Crimson, a talented and fast veteran team that I suspect will have a shot at a F4 appearance. As expected, Vesey looked like one of the top players in the nation.

For the Gophers, a disappointing loss when they had the lead with 5 min. left in the game. But in retrospect this team has greatly improved from its poor start to the season. They have to continue to face the lesson to eliminate the turnovers and close good teams out. But overall a good effort by a young Gopher team tonight against a veteran Harvard team that brought most of their players back from last season.
          Good summary, SteveO. The crowd really got into it when the Gophers came back from a 0-2 deficit to go ahead 3-2. Then the tying goal really took the crowd out of it, as they seemed to sense how the game would ultimately end. But the way it ended was especially disappointing. The Gophers had a 4 on 2 rush, but managed to turn the puck over on an ill-advised pass that was intercepted, which led to Harvard going on a 3 on 1 break the other way. They executed it beautifully and game over, Crimson. Really too bad because the Gophers played one of their best games of the season, or perhaps THE best game of the season. Just wish it had a different ending instead of "deja vu all over again".
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I thought Minnesota played a really solid game and frankly, were the better team. When I looked at the shot total, I was surprised that Harvard outshot Minnesota by 10 or so. I would never have guessed that.

Minnesota is the first team all season that could really skate with Harvard. Not only that, it was the first team that really neutralized Jimmy Vesey. Yes, Vesey had both helpers on Harvard's 2 final goals, but he played a fairly passive and perimeter-oriented game tonight. I couldn't help but think that he may have been nursing an injury, but Minnesota really played him tough and frankly, played Harvard's 1st line really tough.

It's a shame that anyone had to lose that hockey game and as a fan, just one of those games that you were proud to be a part of - glad I paid $10 for the BTN+ Web feed for one game. It was worth it!

Not to unearth old skeletons, but does anyone recall the last time these two teams played to a 4-3 OT final?

Best of luck to Minnesota the rest of the way. That is a team whose best hockey is yet to come!

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Minnesota is the first team all season that could really skate with Harvard. Not only that, it was the first team that really neutralized Jimmy Vesey.
              A little selective memory about November 6, 2015. Nice win though. hopefully it will help all of the ECAC tourney contenders come March.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Not to unearth old skeletons, but does anyone recall the last time these two teams played to a 4-3 OT final?
                I do, you bastich!!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I thought Minnesota played a really solid game and frankly, were the better team. When I looked at the shot total, I was surprised that Harvard outshot Minnesota by 10 or so. I would never have guessed that.

I also felt like MN had the better of the play for much of the game (not by much) with seemingly more offensive zone possession time. They had a few very good chances that looked like they were going to be goals. I would like to see a shot chart, in that it seemed MN had the edge for shots close in.

As for your second point, No Comment. (I was tempted to track down Grant Bishoff after the game to see if he was having flashbacks.)

Comment

I thought Minnesota played a really solid game and frankly, were the better team.

Minnesota is the first team all season that could really skate with Harvard. Not only that, it was the first team that really neutralized Jimmy Vesey.

I thought passive aggressive was our deal?

I can still name everyone at the party I was at with that night watching the game. "PING!"

Comment

Working...
                    X