Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ASU Hockey

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
    Although having a conference gives a program a sense of security as far as schedule creation, being an Indy and a major university is freeing and liberating and gives ASU the power to build the schedule.
    Yeah, the real problem is that without the conference their season if forced to end so early - which would be problematic if they surprised everyone and were good enough to qualify for the tournament since they'd have a long layoff.

It would be nice if they could line up the odd team out in Atlantic Hockey (or the Big Ten when Notre Dame joins next year) and get those teams scheduled for the last couple of weeks in February (or maybe even the 1st weekend of March depending what format the Big Ten goes with for their post season).

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
      I agree with those two major points Revs, 1) I think it's prudent for ASU to see what the Coyotes are doing. If they intend to build a new arena in the Scottsdale area, that would be a fine off-campus facility for ASU Hockey. If they go in on the Coyotes plan ASU could possibly contribute by putting their own money into ASU locker facilities, coaches rooms, medical and training facilities within the area. Although off-campus, to recruit kids and say that they have those hockey facilities in the NHL/Coyotes area would be a huge recruiting hook. Downtown Scottsdale is a 6 mile drive about 10 mins from the heart of the ASU campus.

2) I think some of the articles out there exaggerate the disappointment of ASU not getting in the NCHC. The program can survive being an independent and being free of a conference can help ASU build a very competitive schedule. Being a name-brand school and in a sunny warm-weather location has a lot of benefits for teams traveling to Tempe and also give ASU a lot of pull to go out a build a solid home and away schedule. They can sit and wait until a conference approaches them with a good package or even wait to see what happens to UNLV or other west coast schools possibility interested in hockey. Although having a conference gives a program a sense of security as far as schedule creation, being an Indy and a major university is freeing and liberating and gives ASU the power to build the schedule.
      Good stuff. It seems the shared facility has slowed down in terms of conversation, but who really knows what is going on behind the scenes. The Coyotes have been very quiet on this front lately. I did hear there were on campus plans drawn up, but no announcement as of yet. My biggest concern with the NHL arena is the atmosphere. You get 3,000 in there and it feels like a ghost town. At least that has been the experience at Gila River so far. Hopefully we know something soon.

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
        Yeah, the real problem is that without the conference their season if forced to end so early - which would be problematic if they surprised everyone and were good enough to qualify for the tournament since they'd have a long layoff.

It would be nice if they could line up the odd team out in Atlantic Hockey (or the Big Ten when Notre Dame joins next year) and get those teams scheduled for the last couple of weeks in February (or maybe even the 1st weekend of March depending what format the Big Ten goes with for their post season).
        Great point. While I certainly don't expect to make the NCAAs anytime soon, the back end of the season is lacking. We play W. Michigan on Feb. 3 & 4 and that is our last games against D1 competition. We host Simon Fraser the next week and then finish two weeks later against USA U-18. But in time I hope that will all work itself out.

We play in a very sub-standard rink for most of our games, but have had some nice teams decide to come out. Hope those trips go well for them and others come out while we figure out the arena stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X