Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I'm miffed. And Oz has been in McCoushen's ear too. There's no other reason a guy from WI would be considering OSU. Didn't UW lose a decommited D to OSU as well?

I'm sure it's just me ultra-loyal to UW and being black and white in a grey world, but I think it's wrong for a coach to go after guys he recruited on behalf of one school to go to another school where he is now employed.

And on top of that, UW has a newbie recruiting coordinator going against the Oz/Rolhik duo. Rohlik did some great recuiting for UMD. I wonder if any players UMD was interested in have signed with OSU.

Wisconsin Hockey: F#&K OSU
    I'm a bit upset by the Stepan thing as well. The d-man I think was Fiola (sp?)?...of course having said that, I get ****ed every time UW loses a recruit. going back to Holzinger (THAT was inexcusable in my book) and beyond.

As to the kids and famalies getting closer to the recruiting coach, I'm sure that's true. The head coach doesn't have time to recruit (unless it's making a visit to seal the deal) so it's the assistants who get the face time. That's probably true on campus as well as the assistants pretty much help implement the HC's systems and philosophy.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/snow.jpg******
      As an avid snowmobiler/snowboarder, all I can say is AWESOME!!!!

(The downside was that it took me 2 hours to get from the Verona Rd. Beltline exit to Cascade Mtn. in Portage tonight... 6" of fresh was worth it though!)
      Originally posted by solovsfett
      To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

All is fair in college recruiting. Be better than Oz/OSU or go home.

If a kid and his family got comfortable with Oz and wants to follow him, I say go for it.

I was talking to the father of a high profile UW senior who finished up last season and he mentioned in passing that he had talked to Eaves a grand total of 1 time in the 5 years that his son was at UW. It wouldn't surprise me if these kids and their families put a lot of weight in the relationship with the recruiting coach.
        My take is Oz was recruiting him on behalf of the UW, not himself, selling the U itself, the facilities, the staff and the players. Now he goes to Zach and tells him, "No Zach, UW isn't for you, OSU has what you need and not UW". To me that's just crooked. Now if Zach is coming in 2012 and UW has no room; fine, that's the way it goes. But it he's going to OSU in 2013 and UW had room and wanted him; that's crooked.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

My take is Oz was recruiting him on behalf of the UW, not himself, selling the U itself, the facilities, the staff and the players. Now he goes to Zach and tells him, "No Zach, UW isn't for you, OSU has what you need and not UW". To me that's just crooked. Now if Zach is coming in 2012 and UW has no room; fine, that's the way it goes. But it he's going to OSU in 2013 and UW had room and wanted him; that's crooked.
          Maybe so, but we both know that it's the way it works.

Who knows what Oz sold him on and it's not like he's now going to Huntsville. I would guess that OSU and Columbus are lateral moves even if the program is several steps back. Maybe Oz told them that he'd be personally involved in the kid's devo and they decided to stick with him.

Comment

Originally posted by FueledByRamen View Post
            As an avid snowmobiler/snowboarder, all I can say is AWESOME!!!!
            You're gonna love tomorrow then. My kid keeps asking me if we'll ever get to Cascade before February. Maybe this will be the year. Were all of the runs open, other than the non-lighted ones?

Comment

Maybe so, but we both know that it's the way it works.

Who knows what Oz sold him on and it's not like he's now going to Huntsville. I would guess that OSU and Columbus are lateral moves even if the program is several steps back. Maybe Oz told them that he'd be personally involved in the kid's devo and they decided to stick with him.
              Some of you guys are whacked. As a OSU fan...Here's what OSU has to offer to Zach Stepan:

Great coaching staff - likely will coach world juniors again in the future
              Head coach that has likely watched the kid play for several years (because he was an asst coach)
              Incredible campus and atomsphere - has everything to offer
              Future Big 10 league
              New Arena - incredible facility
              A butt load of money that is being pumped into the program
              Big enough school to chose any major he wants
              A likely committment that he will play.

Should I go on...

Comment

Originally posted by crashthenet View Post
                Some of you guys are whacked. As a OSU fan...Here's what OSU has to offer to Zach Stepan:

Head coach that has likely watched the kid play for several years (because he was an asst coach)
                Future Big 10 league

Should I go on...
                Because Wisconsin doesn't offer any of that...

Besides, I don't think many of us are ripping on OSU. Lots of people want to see Oz succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                  Because Wisconsin doesn't offer any of that...

Besides, I don't think many of us are ripping on OSU. Lots of people want to see Oz succeed.
                  Yeah, we're just upset that our recruiting classes are already so stacked that we still end up losing top notch kids like Zach to other schools.

It's probably one of the best problems you can have as a program.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Future Big 10 league

Should I go on...
                    Great first post!

I was actually taking Oz's side.

Comment

Future Big 10 league

Should I go on...
                      Tell me, oh state school graduate, what the **** is an ATOMSPHERE, eh?

"Incredible facility"....... with 2900 asses in the seats. If Stepan wants to play in a 17,500 seat arena with 2900 in attendance (16.8% of capacity), well...kudos to him.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-10-2010, 10:42 PM.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I call BS on crashthenet actually being an Ohio State fan - he wrote "OSU", not "tOSU".

Comment

Future Big 10 league

Should I go on...
                          Yeah, you should because objectively you have proven nothing.

Great staff...Oz is a better coach than Eaves? Yet to be proven. Eaves is a proven guy. Advantage UW.
                          Eaves watched him play for several years as well, as Oz worked for Eaves and the UW. Push
                          Incredible campus/atmoshere (hockey). (Campus is a push). 11,000 - 14,000 attendance for UW, 5,000 for OSU. Advantage UW.
                          Future big 10 team. So is UW and the WCHA is a hell of a lot better than the CCHA. Advantage UW.
                          New area - incredible facility? Ever been to the Kohl Center? I'll give you a push there.
                          Boatloads of money - Both schools are in the big ten, Push
                          Big school - Both schools are in the big ten, Push
                          Commitment he will play. Like he going to ride the pine @ UW - Push

Final score: Advantage UW: 3, tie: 5, Advantage tOSU: 0

I understand you are excited about your program, and you should be. Oz has the makings of an excellent coach. Chuck or Gurt said tOSU is a sleeping giant, and I would agree. UW isn't a sleeping giant, they are an established giant so don't come hear and try and tell ANYONE tOSU's overall offereings are better than UW's. It's simply not true.

My point about Oz recruiting Zach never was about offerings of a program, it was about him using connections he made on behalf of UW now for another school.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Great staff...Oz is a better coach than Eaves? Yet to be proven. Eaves is a proven guy. Advantage UW.
                            Eaves watched him play for several years as well, as Oz worked for Eaves and the UW. Push
                            Incredible campus/atmoshere (hockey). (Campus is a push). 11,000 - 14,000 attendance for UW, 5,000 for OSU. Advantage UW.
                            Future big 10 team. So is UW and the WCHA is a hell of a lot better than the CCHA. Advantage UW.
                            New area - incredible facility? Ever been to the Kohl Center? I'll give you a push there.
                            Boatloads of money - Both schools are in the big ten, Push
                            Big school - Both schools are in the big ten, Push
                            Commitment he will play. Like he going to ride the pine @ UW - Push

Final score: Advantage UW: 3, tie: 5, Advantage tOSU: 0

I understand you are excited about your program, and you should be. Oz has the makings of an excellent coach. Chuck or Gurt said tOSU is a sleeping giant, and I would agree. UW isn't a sleeping giant, they are an established giant so don't come hear and try and tell ANYONE tOSU's overall offereings are better than UW's. It's simply not true.

My point about Oz recruiting Zach never was about offerings of a program, it was about him using connections he made on behalf of UW now for another school.

Not bad... but I wasn't ripping on UW - obviously is a great program. My point was that OSU has a lot of offer too (more than hockey). Why would the kid want to go to a school where there are so many other forwards being recruited? I read somewhere that Eaves overrecruited for that year. Maybe he did the math and figured out how many spots would be open. Shouldn't he go where he's going to play? be a rock star? and have the opportunity to have a coach bring him to the next level? If he goes to UW, he fights for playing time... maybe has to go play juniors for a year and doesn't want to... Maybe UW doesn't offer his major. Maybe he's a football fan too...(we have plenty of fans for that) Who knows! My point was... we have plenty to offer top kids. The program will only get better and the fans will start pouring in!

Comment

By the way... I get the "using connections" thing, but I guess to me, that's the name of the game.

Comment

Not bad... but I wasn't ripping on UW - obviously is a great program. My point was that OSU has a lot of offer too (more than hockey). Why would the kid want to go to a school where there are so many other forwards being recruited? I read somewhere that Eaves overrecruited for that year. Maybe he did the math and figured out how many spots would be open. Shouldn't he go where he's going to play? be a rock star? and have the opportunity to have a coach bring him to the next level? If he goes to UW, he fights for playing time... maybe has to go play juniors for a year and doesn't want to... Maybe UW doesn't offer his major. Maybe he's a football fan too...(we have plenty of fans for that) Who knows! My point was... we have plenty to offer top kids. The program will only get better and the fans will start pouring in!
                                Have you looked at the overrecruiting Oz did for next season? According to Heisenberg's site, 15 players a slated to come in next season at OSU, but only 10 are graduating. Don't really see any superstar early signings on the roster, so is he going to push a bunch of kids out the door to get "his kids" in? While I understand wanting to set up his program, w/ his players, don't be barking about overrecruiting when your coach is already projecting to do the same.

Stepan would fight for playing time? Of course he would, but he is a talented kid and would get great minutes at UW. Do you want OSU recruits to not fight for playing time, get lazy and apathetic, and then the losing your school has done for decades continues? Competition breeds success.
                                Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                                Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                                Originally posted by UWisco
                                It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Working...
                                X