Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Take my comments on Schultz, and add them to Craig Smith. I know Chris hates Eaves and Wisconsin but my goodness. Yeah...76 point USHL seasons are good enough for the #26 spot. I really hope Craig and Justin see those rankings.
    Your recruits are better than Michigan's and their halos are even bigger than those in Grand Forks.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Your recruits are better than Michigan's and their halos are even bigger than those in Grand Forks.
      They only wish.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

I learned today that UW forward recruit Mike Mersch is accelerating his schooling and will move from the recruiting class of 2011 to the recruiting class of 2010. It sounds as if the staff, at this time, is projecting him to be around 2-3 seasons before turning pro.

There are now 7 forward recruits for 2010....Lapic, Barnes, Dahl, Little, Zengerle, Hartzog and Mersch. Paape and Strang are for 2010 or 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
          I learned today that UW forward recruit Mike Mersch is accelerating his schooling and will move from the recruiting class of 2011 to the recruiting class of 2010. It sounds as if the staff, at this time, is projecting him to be around 2-3 seasons before turning pro.

There are now 7 forward recruits for 2010....Lapic, Barnes, Dahl, Little, Zengerle, Hartzog and Mersch. Paape and Strang are for 2010 or 2011.
          Good stuff. That's an impressive forward class.

Comment

Has his play improved markedly? I don't know much about this kid. Is he a sniper, playmaker, or grinder?
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I really hope Craig and Justin see those rankings.

Are you really taking the WCH "rankings" this seriously?

There are now 7 forward recruits for 2010....Lapic, Barnes, Dahl, Little, Zengerle, Hartzog and Mersch.
              Wow, how many of those are projected to be starters their first year? Probably not the best thing to have half of your starting forwards be freshmen...
              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post

Are you really taking the WCH "rankings" this seriously?

Wow, how many of those are projected to be starters their first year? Probably not the best thing to have half of your starting forwards be freshmen...
                We have a HUGE senior forward class. We have 7 senior forwards plus Stepan is a threat to leave at any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  Has his play improved markedly? I don't know much about this kid. Is he a sniper, playmaker, or grinder?
                  POWER forward.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    I have not had the chance to see him play, but he may be a little bit of all three. He is 6'1" and 198 pounds, so he should be able to hold his own in the corners. He was third in penalties (58 minutes) on the USNTDP U-17 team, so I would think it likely he has a physical aspect to his game.

He tied for the lead in goals with 27 in 65 games, 5 of which came on the powerplay and he lead the team with 7 game winners. He also had 19 assists, which put him in 4th place on the team for total points with 46. His average points per game was .71 overall and in international play.

At the beginning of last season I believe he was on the third line, but that may have changed based on how high his point totals ended up being.

Comment

I have not had the chance to see him play, but he may be a little bit of all three. He is 6'1" and 198 pounds, so he should be able to hold his own in the corners. He was third in penalties (58 minutes) on the USNTDP U-17 team, so I would think it likely he has a physical aspect to his game.

He tied for the lead in goals with 27 in 65 games, 5 of which came on the powerplay and he lead the team with 7 game winners. He also had 19 assists, which put him in 4th place on the team for total points with 46. His average points per game was .71 overall and in international play.

At the beginning of last season I believe he was on the third line, but that may have changed based on how high his point totals ended up being.
                      He's up to 6'2, 200 this season. I saw him last year at the start of the season and fell in love. He was all over the ice making plays, throwing his body around. He obviously finds his name in the score sheet. He's going to be a good one. If he improves his skating, he could be a really good player.

Comment

nice! thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing this kid lace em up next year, and Zengerle!
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I've update the recruit stat sheet website to reflect the current changes for the season. I've also added some potential prospects.

We've got a lot of work to do for the 2011 recruiting season.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Love the title!
                            I like the title too... but its awful caucasian. Shouldn't it be "Whatcha gonna do"? and not "What... are... you... going.... to... do"?

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            IMO Drew Shore is probably DU's 4th best recruit behind Donovan, Wrenn, Ostrow in that order.
                            Ostrow > Shore.... I'm holding you accountable to this quote years from now.

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            The same way guys like Garrett Raboin and Kurt Davis make all-conference teams even though you could probably come up with 30 other players in the league with more talent than them.
                            Ummm... what does that have to do with all-conference teams? The All-Conference team isn't the "Most Talented Team." Raboin isn't in the top 50 in talent in the WCHA; he made the team because he plays smart, fundamental hockey, doesn't make many mistakes, doesn't take stupid penalties, and is the heart of soul of SCSU's defense, power play and penalty kill. I realize that you were standing up for Raboin and Davis, but of course they aren't the most talented people in the league, but nobody said that.
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              Ostrow > Shore.... I'm holding you accountable to this quote years from now.
                              Is Shawn Ostrow on your fantasy team? If so, nice sleeper pick.

Smaller players generally adapt to college hockey quicker than bigger players. Faster players get more opportunities on Special Teams than slower players. Players who contribute for four years are more valuable than two year players who leave college hockey early.

Case in point, DU's three speedy little forwards chewed Wisconsin up last season. K. Ostrow (3g, 3a), Maiani (2g,3a) & Salazar (2g,3a) in five games against Wisconsin.
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

We've got a lot of work to do for the 2011 recruiting season.
                                As usual, thanks for the info. With that somewhat big 2010 class maybe we'll have a little wiggle room. It is early, but the way things are going those 10 year olds are not far away.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X