Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    His list is seriously messed up. This is what happens when you base a list on year old press clippings and don't call the coaches for the latest input.
    Says the guy whose blog is nothing but other people's press clippings.

Schultz is scheduled to be on the list fairly soon.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

Schultz is scheduled to be on the list fairly soon.
      I was a bit perplexed at a lack of inclusion of Schultz when I made my first post, but being ranked behind Seth Helgeson is a complete joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        I was a bit perplexed at a lack of inclusion of Schultz when I made my first post, but being ranked behind Seth Helgeson is a complete joke.
        I figured that wouldn't be popular. A lot of it is personal preference, especially since they're very different types of players. I just think Helgeson ends up being more valuable to his team than Schultz will.

Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Comment

IMO Drew Shore is probably DU's 4th best recruit behind Donovan, Wrenn, Ostrow in that order.

I'd also rank Donovan as one of the top three or four recruits in the WCHA.

Lee #1
          Donovan #2
          Palmieri #3
          Olsen #4
          Leddy #5
          Last edited by dggoddard; 08-27-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I figured that wouldn't be popular. A lot of it is personal preference, especially since they're very different types of players. I just think Helgeson ends up being more valuable to his team than Schultz will.
            How does value to his team affect recruit rankings? Your going to penalize a player because the current players on his team are good? Are you saying if Schultz went to Minnesota they would be flip flopped?

Comment

I may have to stop donating $$ to Minnetonka if this trend continues. First Gardiner and now Hesketh (yes, I realize he committed awhile back).

Comment

How does value to his team affect recruit rankings?
                The same way guys like Garrett Raboin and Kurt Davis make all-conference teams even though you could probably come up with 30 other players in the league with more talent than them. If a guy is super-talented, but sits in the stands for half his team's games, how good of a college hockey player is he?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  I'd also rank Donovan as one of the top three or four recruits in the WCHA.

Lee #1
                  Donovan #2
                  Palmieri #3
                  Olsen #4
                  Leddy #5
                  Isn't Palmieri heading to the CCHA (Notre Dame)?
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                    Isn't Palmieri heading to the CCHA (Notre Dame)?
                    Oh sure. Make me look bad by using details like that.

Comment

The same way guys like Garrett Raboin and Kurt Davis make all-conference teams even though you could probably come up with 30 other players in the league with more talent than them. If a guy is super-talented, but sits in the stands for half his team's games, how good of a college hockey player is he?
                      Justin Schultz immediately steps into the UW lineup as the #5 defenseman. AT BEST Helgeson is the #6 at Minnesota behind Fairchild, Ness, Leddy, Lofquist and Wehrs. I still don't understand how Helgeson is more valuable, or rated higher.

Comment

Justin Schultz immediately steps into the UW lineup as the #5 defenseman. AT BEST Helgeson is the #6 at Minnesota behind Fairchild, Ness, Leddy, Lofquist and Wehrs. I still don't understand how Helgeson is more valuable, or rated higher.
                        I'm cool w/ Schultz being under the radar. He's this year's Jake Gardiner, a better defensive game who doesn't skate as well (who does?). He'll be an immediate contibutor to the team and we (as in Badger fans) can all look back and laugh at everyone else when he is on the All Rookie team w/ Dylan Olsen.

Comparing gopher dmen w/ Wisconsin dmen is like having a 100' length of rope when you are climbing down a 200' wall, the 100' rope looks useful, until you actually try to use it and realize all the actual good defensemen in your state decided to wear the Cardinal and White instead of falling to their death.
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Errrrrr...........Wehrs is likely to be the odd man out when it all shakes out. Also you forgot Fischer.

Helgeson is going to get icetime.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I don't know about rating Helgeson ahead of Schultz, but in the end accolades and how many stars a recruiting evaluator decides to put next to someone's name matters very little relative to what the players actually produce on the ice when they get to their respective teams. I sort of figured Goro would have ended up better then Street out of their class or Bearson would have done more then Mitchell (who was a guy that came in the Spring before the first fall he skated for the Badgers because he had washed out of his 3rd USHL team in a year).

I follow the logic that a guy reputed as more of a defensive Dman could play a significant role for the rodents, and Schultz might find getting a handle on a role with the Badgers d corp a little tougher. In the end, I don't see Schultz not playing every night and having a prominent impact with UW. As far as PP time, I would not be suprised to see a Dman (Brendan Smith or Gardiner) slide up front at times given the strength of UW with blueline offensive talent and with injuries/WJC commitments...there will be plenty of oppurtunities.

I'm excited about the UW class coming in as far as impact both this year and in the coming years. Schultz, Lee, Ramage, Smith, & Bennett will contribute to varrying degrees this year (I think Bennett wins the #1 or at least co #1 in a platoon, Schultz & Smith end up in the lineup nightly in at least a best supporting actor role if not leading men, and Lee & Ramage play somewhere around half the time (at worst...and I would not be suprised to see much more out of both).

Comment

Connelly

Signs with Elmira of the ECHL - Press

Comment

Anyone else think that Justin Schultz is getting the short end of the stick on Western College Hockey? If you haven't been following, Chris has been ranking incoming recruits for this season in the CCHA and WCHA. He started at 1 and is going up, so far he's at 9 and there has been no mention of Schultz.

Am I over-valuing Justin Schultz or do I have a right to feel he's getting spurned here? I know the NHL draft is a bit of a crap shoot but he went before Derek Stepan in the 2008 NHL draft. He went only 1 pick behind Patrick Wiercoich. He went only a couple picks behind Aaron Ness, and only 6 picks behind Cody Goloubef. What gives?

Take my comments on Schultz, and add them to Craig Smith. I know Chris hates Eaves and Wisconsin but my goodness. Yeah...76 point USHL seasons are good enough for the #26 spot. I really hope Craig and Justin see those rankings.

Comment

Working...
                                X