Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Huh? Oh, Robbie Earl.
    No, I was referring to the fact that last week in Wisconsin it was a tragedy when players that teams were counting on for next season leave unexpectedly late into the summer. This week, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      Minnesota stole Nate Hagemo.
      Why spread falsehoods? Just not true.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        No, I was referring to the fact that last week in Wisconsin it was a tragedy when players that teams were counting on for next season leave unexpectedly. This week, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal.
        I don't know if the reaction was really that black and white.

The "you're not done recruiting them until they're on campus" idiom comes into play here.

So does the fact that the Rangers would have wanted to pull Stepan out of UW and send him to Major Junior if they thought he wouldn't make the club.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Why spread falsehoods? Just not true.
          Whatever, he was committed to Wisconsin and decommitted to go to Minnesota. Now he's a crack head.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            So does the fact that the Rangers would have wanted to pull Stepan out of UW and send him to Major Junior if they thought he wouldn't make the club.
            Do you have a link on that?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
              Chris Huxley. Committed to RPI and when coach Dan Fridgen wasn't retained he managed to find his way to Harvard somehow. Go figure.
              So when the coach got fired, a local Boston kid, who has known Donato and the program his entire life, a local prep product decided not to go to a school with no coach, hours away etc, thats raiding?

When the coach leaves, all bets are off. He had every right to leave under that scenerio

Comment

Originally posted by RinkRatEO View Post
                Do you have a link on that?
                Brooks from the NYP originally said that if Stepan didn't make the Rangers that he would be in the WHL. Which is why many Badger fans flipped out. Stepans dad was interviewed by the Madison papers and said that it wasn't true. He'll be in NY or Hartford (AHL).

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  So when the coach got fired, a local Boston kid, who has known Donato and the program his entire life, a local prep product decided not to go to a school with no coach, hours away etc, thats raiding?

When the coach leaves, all bets are off. He had every right to leave under that scenerio
                  Fridgen wasn't fired, he did not receive a new contract. When you make a commitment to a program you don't ditch out just because things happen.

By your logic, however, it's OK that this kid who was committed to Dartmouth is in the clear because he just happens to be from Wisconsin and opted to go to the Badgers. Or is this different for you?
                  R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                    Fridgen wasn't fired, he did not receive a new contract. When you make a commitment to a program you don't ditch out just because things happen.

By your logic, however, it's OK that this kid who was committed to Dartmouth is in the clear because he just happens to be from Wisconsin and opted to go to the Badgers. Or is this different for you?
                    The coach that recruited him left, period.

Gaudet is still there. If you cant see the difference I dont know what to say. And the kid going to Wisc is wrong but, better to do it now then regret it your whole life

Hard to say anyone would regret going to Dartmouth......
                    Last edited by Hokydad; 06-17-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      It's happened to us twice recently. Denver stole Patrick Wiercoich and Minnesota stole Nate Hagemo.When coaches jobs and livelihoods are on the line, do what you can within the rules. Recruit until they are on campus or signed a LOI.

The school they are committed to needs to keep recruiting the player even after they have verballed. Many schools ignore kids once they verbal.

This happens in football and basketball all the time. Hockey should be no different.
                      Denver didn't steal Weircioch. While DU did recruit him, DU did not chase him after he verbally committed to UW. UW told Wiercioch that they wanted him to play another year of junior hockey because their blueline corps was too full, and PW thought he was ready for college hockey, so he decommitted. At the end of the day, we want players to be loyal to the programs they commit to verbally, but when circumstances change (a new coach or delayed entry are typical), the leverage swings back to the player. There is always a risk a school takes when it tries to park players in Junior when rosters are full. As a second round NHL draft pick, PW felt he was ready to play and didn't wan't to play another year in the USHL. You can't really blame him for that.

Wiercioch contacted DU only after DU recruit David Carle was diagnosed with a career ending heart condition in June of 2008 and the extra scholarship became available from DU after his diagnosis. Had Carle not been diagnosed, PW would not have been able to come to Denver. As it turned out, Paddy was more than ready to play college hockey.

Comment

The coach that recruited him left, period.

Gaudet is still there. If you cant see the difference I dont know what to say.
                        Once again, hokydad is right on the money.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Eaves will not win with non-Badger fans and even some Badger fans no matter what he does. He is in a no win position of either "overrecruiting" or getting caught short when a few more then expected bail for the pros. In the end, he has done what he needs to...when a big fish takes a bite at you, you bite at the little fish. Pro's come calling for our guys, Eaves goes shopping for kids looking for a higher profile college gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            Denver didn't steal Weircioch. While DU did recruit him, DU did not chase him after he verbally committed to UW. UW told Wiercioch that they wanted him to play another year of junior hockey because their blueline corps was too full, and PW thought he was ready for college hockey, so he decommitted. At the end of the day, we want players to be loyal to the programs they commit to verbally, but when circumstances change (a new coach or delayed entry are typical), the leverage swings back to the player. There is always a risk a school takes when it tries to park players in Junior when rosters are full. As a second round NHL draft pick, PW felt he was ready to play and didn't wan't to play another year in the USHL. You can't really blame him for that.

Wiercioch contacted DU only after DU recruit David Carle was diagnosed with a career ending heart condition in June of 2008 and the extra scholarship became available from DU after his diagnosis. Had Carle not been diagnosed, PW would not have been able to come to Denver. As it turned out, Paddy was more than ready to play college hockey.
                            Just to clarify, Wiercioch was not delayed by UW. He had committed for the year UW was going to bring him in, with the possibility of an earlier arrival.

Comment

How do we know Eaves contacted this kid? Maybe he knew UW needed another F and contacted Eaves.

Comment

Why is it, when I see red dots, I know what to expect?
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X