Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
    Chuck can correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as Hesketh is signed up for the 2011/12 season, the Oilers don't lose his rights, and then get 4 years from his beginning of school to sign him. If you remember Chris Hickey, he had to come in because the Wild would lose his rights (he was drafted in 2006 so he had to start school by the 2008/09 season).
    You are correct Gandalf.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Sounds like the Gophers are going to get a commitment from Canadian goalie Joel Vienneau soon. He visited campus last weekend. Should be interesting to see what they do as Kangas is a junior and Patterson is a Sophomore.

Still no word on future goalies for the Badgers. I get more and more worried by the day. I would assume that the staff is taking a very cautious approach to recruiting goaltenders after securing an extremely early commitment from Crandall only to have him completely fall flat on his face in the USHL.

The later and later it gets the more and more I think we're going to wait until 2011 to bring someone in.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

I'm not really concerned about starting a freshman in goal, but not having a veteran with at least a little D1 experience as a backup is a bit more worrisome.

Comment

Not to dwell, but by not even looking at Madison's Mike Johnson, freshman at Notre Dame, it's going to bite us in the butt.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            Not to dwell, but by not even looking at Madison's Mike Johnson, freshman at Notre Dame, it's going to bite us in the butt.
            The fact no one is in the offing is un-nerving. I hope there's some Canadian jewels out there waiting to be found. Looking back at Eaves' goalies, he seems to have a good eye for them; Cons was probably the "worst" one he signed and he wasn't bt any means a huge miss, just a slight one. Even that Broduer kid has made it all the way to the NHL. Of course Crandall was a swing and a miss.

Johnson would have been a Jr with 2 years of understudying what have turned out to be 2 very very good goalies and have had 2 years tutilage under Sanger, whose importance cannot be understated, considering UW went into this year with ???? abounding between the pipes.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              Ding, Ding, Ding.

From talking to Mike, he made it very clear that Wisconsin never even talked to him. How is it possible to have a goaltender with that talent level, from Madison, and not even give him a call to see what his plans are? Regardless of him having an outstanding season for Notre Dame we should have at least kept tabs on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                Sounds like the Gophers are going to get a commitment from Canadian goalie Joel Vienneau soon. He visited campus last weekend. Should be interesting to see what they do as Kangas is a junior and Patterson is a Sophomore.

Still no word on future goalies for the Badgers. I get more and more worried by the day. I would assume that the staff is taking a very cautious approach to recruiting goaltenders after securing an extremely early commitment from Crandall only to have him completely fall flat on his face in the USHL.

The later and later it gets the more and more I think we're going to wait until 2011 to bring someone in.
                What about Matt Mahalek out of the USHL? I've heard things across the spectrum - from MJ all the way to attending an Ivy.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                  What about Matt Mahalek out of the USHL? I've heard things across the spectrum - from MJ all the way to attending an Ivy.
                  Interesting name. Not having an outstanding season but he's real young and playing on a bad team. Could be a kid to keep an eye out for thanks Bothman.

Comment

Anybody know offhand what the college connections are in the ECHL allstar game tonight?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

Is there a good place that lists all of the *HL leagues, and what they are? For example, I stumbled across this link: http://thepuckdoctors.com/2010/01/wh...e-handed-goal/

I had no idea what the WHL was, so I did research on that one, found out it was part the the CHL, which would make players ineligible for NCAA.

But players in other leagues, such as the BCHL and USHL, are eligible for the NCAA. Then of course you have the NHL development leagues like the AHL.

So is there one place that describes all of the leagues that I can refer to when I see an abbrev.? Or do I have to look up each one when I see it and try to remember what it is?

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

Ding, Ding, Ding.

From talking to Mike, he made it very clear that Wisconsin never even talked to him. How is it possible to have a goaltender with that talent level, from Madison, and not even give him a call to see what his plans are? Regardless of him having an outstanding season for Notre Dame we should have at least kept tabs on him.
                        I talked to Mike's mom about a year ago and was stunned that he wasn't approached. I knew Notre Dame was interested, but for some reason I felt Mike would land here. I wonder if Bill Howard were still around if we would have looked at Mike Johnson more at all?

Since we are self proclaimed "professional" goalie dads (ret), I think the UW should send Tim and me to Finland, Sweden, and Russia to scout some 'tenders . I do have extensive knowledge of the "Howie" system and goaltenders in that area seem to be hot in the NHL currently.
                        Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-21-2010, 02:59 PM.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                          Is there a good place that lists all of the *HL leagues, and what they are? For example, I stumbled across this link: http://thepuckdoctors.com/2010/01/wh...e-handed-goal/

I had no idea what the WHL was, so I did research on that one, found out it was part the the CHL, which would make players ineligible for NCAA.

But players in other leagues, such as the BCHL and USHL, are eligible for the NCAA. Then of course you have the NHL development leagues like the AHL.

So is there one place that describes all of the leagues that I can refer to when I see an abbrev.? Or do I have to look up each one when I see it and try to remember what it is?
                          http://chl.ca
                          Click on the link. The upper right section has a "Teams" tab. The Canadian Hockey League oversees the 3 Canadian based major junior leagues. The Ontario Hockey League, the Western Hockey League, and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey Leagues are made up of 60 teams (20 and under) mostly in Canada with a handful in the US. Back in my day, it was called "Tier 1 Junior A".

The "AHL" is the old "International Hockey League" (IHL) which is pretty much like AAA baseball..one step below the NHL. The BCHL in Canada is the USHL equivalent....Tier 1 Junior A. (The NAHL is considered Tier 2 junior A).
                          The USHL is a stepping stone to NCAA hockey, while the CHL is a stepping stone to the NHL.

Check that link to the CHL. It should give you all the info.
                          Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks MCR!

Comment

Ding, Ding, Ding.

I was thinking about this the other day, funny it was brought up here. After that one top goalie recruit verballed to Denver, and then Chuck mentioned he was one of the top one's who had been left out there for '10, I immediately thought about Mike Johnson.

Maybe Eaves will get lucky, someone decent will want to transfer in and sit out next season, and then the team lands a stud frosh for a decent tandem of experience and skill.

Goalies are one position that has no guarnatees from what I've seen lately. I thought CC was done w/ Bachman gone, but Joe Howe has played well. On the flip side, Kangas started off great as a frosh and has progressively gotten worse, but I suppose that is just what happens to gopher goalies.

The real question is why doesn't anyone have any faith in Mitch Thompson?
                              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                              Originally posted by UWisco
                              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Updated the recruiting statistics including new recruit Jason Clark.

Comment

Working...
                                X