Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Neutral Site College Hockey game takeoff like football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will the Neutral Site College Hockey game takeoff like football?

Neutral site games suck.

The end.
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans

Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      Neutral site games suck.

The end.
      You've never see MSU v UM at the Joe during the regular season?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        You've never see UM v MSU at the Joe during the regular season?
        Yes. I've been to many of them.

Someone gets screwed out of a home game every year because of it. Would rather have the game at Yost where it's all Michigan fans as opposed to being the "home" team in a 70/30 building of Michigan fans to their fans.

Call me a hockey snob, but the casual fans that aren't necessarily hockey fan come out in full force to that game and like to talk trash as if they can name players on their team. It's quite annoying.

I think the Detroit meeting should be saved for the GLI.
        2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners
        75 All-Americans

Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
        @UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
          Yes. I've been to many of them.

Someone gets screwed out of a home game every year because of it. Would rather have the game at Yost where it's all Michigan fans as opposed to being the "home" team in a 70/30 building of Michigan fans to their fans.
          LOL. The point of neutral spots is to have a large crowd, JLA is almost 2x Yost plus Munn. And it fills up.

Seems great to me.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
            who knew people in tristate come only via lirr & subway? what about nj? westchester? ct?

if the game is at msg it's obviously directly accessible via subway, lirr, njt, and a subway transfer for anywhere on metro north.
            Metro North to Grand Central. Lexington Ave Line to Bleecker St is and B train to Barclays
            NJ Transit to Penn Station. 2 or 3 train to Barclays.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Metro North to Grand Central. Lexington Ave Line to Bleecker St is and B train to Barclays
              So adds about an hour round trip. I'll stand by my statement that it isn't the easiest to get to, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Lexington Ave 4 or 5 express train is 8 stops from Grand Central to Barclays. No need to change. 20 to 22 minute ride each way.
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux_fan View Post
                  The thing is: I imagine the only teams capable of selling out big arenas would be large hockey programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin, UND, Michigan, BC, BU, and maybe even the other big ten teams. The rest of college hockey would struggle.
                  Those teams don't sell out neutral site facilities.
                  CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

I don't know about the other neutral site games, but MSU-UM at JLA only does well when there is a huge amount of marketing behind it. Last year it sold out, but I swear there were commercials for it at every break in-arena during the GLI, got multiple emails about it, it was all over Twitter, and I'm pretty sure there were some TV commercials, too.

Just a couple months later, the Big Ten tourney game to town with almost zero marketing. MSU-UM, with much larger stakes, and there were maybe 4k people in the building. A big improvement on the literal ~400 in the building for OSU-Minny, but still terrible.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I attended the Ice Breaker at Kansas City's brand spanking new Sprint Center when UNO hosted it there to start the '12-'13 season (UNO, Notre Dame, Army, & Maine) and you could have had a gunfight in the stands and no one would have been injured. I found myself wondering if we should have even bothered. Zero atmosphere for any of those games. Few UNO fans barely even bothered to drive the 180 miles to see this and they have consistently been a top 5 team in home attendance for the entirety of the program's existence.

There is not enough interest in places that don't already have college hockey close by or are very close to the (right) schools involved that merit doing this. It isn't going to be well attended. NCAA Regionals are, by and large, already ample evidence of this.

If Minnesota and North Dakota sell out in Las Vegas or even get close to doing so, it will largely be borne on the backs of those teams fans that travel there as well as some augmentation by local alumni. (Side note. If UNLV goes Hockey D-1, as has been reported, does this game, then, even get played?). That just makes the entire exercise an unneeded and unnecessary expense for the fans of these two teams. For what, just to go to Vegas? (full confession--I get to Vegas at least every other year as it--for business--for a week at a time). Is this really some beneficial novelty for the teams involved, their fans or, the citizens of the Vegas Valley?

And, not a person has yet to explain to me the benefit to the schools involved in or the rationale for the "Friendship Four" which, IMHO, was a complete waste of time and resources for the schools that took part, and, benefited college hockey in the US exactly how? It would be a stretch to play such a tourney somewhere that might actually even be a source of potential college recruits in Europe, much less, in Ireland, and that wasn't even a stated purpose of the trip.

NCAA D-1 Hockey needs to work on drawing better where it already exists and plays. There are exactly 9 rinks in the NCAA that even seat so much as 7,000 people. If there was this big demand, there'd be a lot more new rinks and lot more larger ones.

Restaurant chains don't ordinarily go on building sprees or indiscriminately look at new markets when they are having a hard time selling food in the restaurants that are already open and operating.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                        So adds about an hour round trip. I'll stand by my statement that it isn't the easiest to get to, thanks.

Time and ease are two different things. It is easy to reach even if it takes a little longer for some people.

Comment

For those of you that follow college football, there have been a number of attractive interconference games scheduled at neutral sites in recent years - Wisconsin/Alabama at Cowboys Stadium in 2015 & Auburn/Louisville at Georgia Dome in 2015 also.

Does anyone think these neutral site games at big facilities will takeoff for college hockey? College football has many dedicated "kickoff games" between elite programs but I wonder if we will see annual corporate sponsored events like football.

It seems to have taken a slight trend but in more of team-by-team scheduling than an annually scheduled event (unless we count the Hall of Fame game). UND is playing BC at Madison Square Garden in 2016. I know Penn State frequently plays at Wells Fargo Center against Vermont. The North Star Cup somewhat fits this concept too.

The thing is: I imagine the only teams capable of selling out big arenas would be large hockey programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin, UND, Michigan, BC, BU, and maybe even the other big ten teams. The rest of college hockey would struggle.

I think it would be neat if we could see these concept takeoff more in college hockey but not sure if it gain steam or not. I mean, maybe we see a game like Notre Dame/Michigan at United Center. Or even better, if like mentioned earlier there could be an organized event of multiple games. Imagine UND/BC at TD Garden and Minnesota/BU in the same weekend. That would be awesome for college hockey fans.

Thoughts?
                          Nope, college hockey is a niche sport. Just accept it already.
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Some of us can't even fill the lower bowls of our own arenas...
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Imagine UND/BC at TD Garden and Minnesota/BU in the same weekend.
                              A four-team nonconference tournament at TD Garden? Tell me more about this idea.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                A four-team nonconference tournament at TD Garden? Tell me more about this idea.
                                Wait until you hear his idea to have MN, WI, UND, DU, CC, Tech, UMD, MN St, UAA and SCSU all do play-in games before the final five play at the Xcel Energy Center.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X