No announcement yet.

WIS Productions Presents "Hockey East 'What IF' ... Shawn Walsh Beats Cancer?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIS Productions Presents "Hockey East 'What IF' ... Shawn Walsh Beats Cancer?"

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    I pretty much agree with all of that. In retrospect, you have to wonder if *maybe* Shawn the recruiter didn't trust Shawn the coach enough, and when faced with the enormity of the task of trying to take a nowhere program to the top, he got impatient and decided to cut some corners off the ice to hasten the development of the program on the ice?
    Ha, ha, ha; BS35+3 and DU "cut some corners off the ice" at Lake Whitt a few years ago, but sadly that seemed to "hasten the [decline] of the program on the ice."

Comment

Re: WIS Productions Presents "Hockey East 'What IF' ... Shawn Walsh Beats Cancer?"

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Ha, ha, ha; BS35+3 and DU "cut some corners off the ice" at Lake Whitt a few years ago, but sadly that seemed to "hasten the [decline] of the program on the ice."
      Yeah, too bad ... we'd have had the best HS program to have ever skated in Hockey East. Genius, I tellya ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Yeah, too bad ... we'd have had the best HS program to have ever skated in Hockey East. Genius, I tellya ...
        I meant this: http://unhwildcats.com/sports/2015/7...701151023.aspx
        “In the summer of 2010, UNH’s Campus Recreation department spent in excess of $1.5 million dollars in renovations to the Whittemore Center. On the ice, the corners were adjusted [cut] from a 28’ radius to a 20’ radius. The goal lines moved from 15’ off the end boards to 11’ to play similar to NHL rinks.”

Comment

I'd have said the radius went in the other direction.
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
            I'd have said the radius went in the other direction.
            There really is a lot more area outside the boards in the corners now, by "cutting corners on the ice."

Comment

The ultimate in "re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" move, if you ask me.

Anyway ... that's probably more apropos on one of the UNH threads.

Trying to bring this back on topic ... in the video that I linked up last week sometime, there was some footage of a much younger Red Gendron, who apparently was considered the "stats guy" on the staff back in '93. There was a quick shot of some hardware that's probably since been obsolete for about a (human) generation now, but it got me to thinking ... was Walshy heavily into what we now call "advanced analytics" (god I have that term), or was it just a small piece of what he was trying to do to gain insights into his job, opponents, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                No, no, no. It's the upgraded concession stands that make you a national powerhouse.
                We all slept through the {PROVICED/Brom game.
                Because poles mean nothing.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays to the UMaine-iacs out there, and thanks to the majority of you who realized this was not intended as a spoof or wind-up (despite a weak moment or two ) on a topic that was certainly at the heart of many a heated debate back in the day. It's hard to believe it's been almost a generation since Coach Walsh passed, and Hockey East is certainly a less interesting place than it used to be as a result. Love him or hate him (and there wasn't too much middle ground when Walshy was concerned), the guy made an impact, was extremely good at what he did, and was not afraid to surround himself with quality people who carried on his legacy after he was gone. There's a lesson to be learned there ...

Comment

Working...
                  X