• turk181
    replied
    Re: ASU @ RPI, 12/11/15 and 12/12/15

Leave a comment:

• lugnut92
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    We played down to Alabama Huntsville over the Christmas break in 10-11. However, we found a way to win. As former captain John Kennedy always said, "It doesn't matter how, only how many."
    As long as we can get out of this weekend without having any skate-meets-neck incidents, I'm fine with the results matching that trip.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

Well you better be ready to play because they are in most of their games, and you never know..they came close to beating Clarkson and did beat a couple of other teams....

Leave a comment:

• fr. joe
    replied

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I am really curious. Does anyone know why ASU got into D-I hockey? There are no schools in their area, no schools in their conference, and I don't know of any grass roots hockey uprising in Arizona. They seem to be on an island.
    I welcome any school that wants to get into D-I hockey and hope they set the tone and bring hockey to the southwest. But I would think that they are expecting more schools in that area to join in.
    Red Cloud's right on the $. Pac 12 tv network is looking for content... there is no hockey presence on the network this year, but let's see how ASU's arena and a home schedule begin to take shape. (ASU: being first matters. Great story on how they cultivated some major donors, or better yet, how major donors sold ASU on hockey.)
    Last edited by fr. joe; 12-09-2015, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    RPI has never played Canisius, PSU, UNO, and until 12/11 ASU.
    And Northern.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I am really curious. Does anyone know why ASU got into D-I hockey? There are no schools in their area, no schools in their conference, and I don't know of any grass roots hockey uprising in Arizona. They seem to be on an island.
    I welcome any school that wants to get into D-I hockey and hope they set the tone and bring hockey to the southwest. But I would think that they are expecting more schools in that area to join in.
    $

Leave a comment:

• engineerhockeyfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
    You know that's not going to happen. We always seem to find a way to play down to our competition. I hope I'm wrong this weekend.
    We played down to Alabama Huntsville over the Christmas break in 10-11. However, we found a way to win. As former captain John Kennedy always said, "It doesn't matter how, only how many."

Leave a comment:

• turk181
    replied

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
    You know that's not going to happen. We always seem to find a way to play down to our competition. I hope I'm wrong this weekend.
    Not happening this weekend........not happening this weekend.....not happening this weekend

Leave a comment:

• RPI fan 4 life
    replied
    Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
    This has got to be the most important unimportant weekends in recent history. If we do anything other than win handily twice, we should be pretty concerned.

Leave a comment:

• lugnut92
    replied

This has got to be the most important unimportant weekends in recent history. If we do anything other than win handily twice, we should be pretty concerned.

Leave a comment:

• drshoen
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    As in "Good night"?. No. Anyway, it's "Knight"
    And the band wasn't there (Friday at least) so there was not much yelling at all. Not sure about Saturday...

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Do you mean Kepler's Third Law?
    Yes, that.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

I thought he may have been another commie at Williams.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    Yes, I meant RPI, not Clarkson, whom we have played. My bad for assuming everyone in the thread wasn't RPI affiliated and confusing you.

And, you are correct. I just checked and RPI played in UNO's now defunct Maverick Stampede at the start of the 2004-'05 season, which we ended up winning as well, but in which we did not play you as you guys lost to Merrimack in the first round while we opened with and beat Connecticut (the only time we have ever played them) and then beat Merrimack for the tourney crown.

The tourney you guys hosted was during the '05-'06 season. The Bank of America Holiday Tournament there in Troy, where we beat Providence and Holy Cross, and never faced the Engineers since you lost your first round game in that tourney, too.

I'd say that makes UNO and RPI the answer to a very interesting trivia question. What two teams in college hockey have played multiple games in the others arena yet have never faced one another? I guarantee you if the answer extends beyond UNO and RPI, it is one mighty short list.
    I suspect the word "multiple" makes it unique. I can't think of an easy way to figure this out.

RPI has never played Canisius, PSU, UNO, and until 12/11 ASU. I think that is our list. Canisius is surprising since they are in NY too.

This probably, however, is only the second oddest thing in RPI's historical schedule. The fact the RPI has played OSU three times and no one has won a game yet is odder, especially when one realizes that each of the three ended in a 5-5 tie.

BTW, when I saw your handle, I thought you were an RPI fan, since several RPI fans have the word "Red" in their handles. I then wondered why you thought RPI has never played Clarkson, whom we have actually played more than any other school. I figured it out when I saw that you live in Nebraska.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-08-2015, 04:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X