• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gomavs#1
    replied
    Re: UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    So you're mad that a former SCSU defenseman and captain, and a guy who's been doing SCSU broadcasts at the local level for a number of years now are homer announcers?
    Professional announcers are unbiased - even if it is their home call. A little bias is expected, but there is no way that UNO can always be "getting away with one" while SCSU played clean the entire game. Find the UNO broadcast for two professionals calling a game. Or don't hire former players to call a game.

Leave a comment:

• hockeykrazy
    replied

I think Mark is a little less biased than Geno because he had some more separation from SCSU playing a lot longer professionally. Mark is or just finished getting his degree when he came back a year or two ago to do games.

I think Geno did make a good point that UNO gave us a bigger gap starting the second.

Two weeks ago against North Dakota they had Pat Micheletti and in the past they had Tom Saterdalen former Bloomington Jefferson coach (early 90's, coached Parrish's and his son in HS, dynasty) who does a good job- not nearly as biased as Gopher announcers.
    Ben Clymer - former gopher- is still living in the rivalry, makes it his job to pee all over SCSU.

I don't remember Geno doing SCSU games before this year.
    Last edited by hockeykrazy; 12-05-2015, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
    I'm not watching a hockey game in silence and won't listen to our home broadcast that is 45 seconds ahead of SCSU's video feed. Just cracks me up when supposed "experts" are calling a game and when the home goalie goes down because of the HOME team's defenseman, it's not noticed by said experts. Clearly Guentzel was going after Lindgren, whatever. Some commentators are professional, some are not, that's to be expected.

I'm not sure what the reason is to have Thompson out there. I thought he played fine and made some stops that kept the score reasonable. But when you are riding a hot goalie, ride the hot goalie. Maybe there is a master plan behind it, I don't know. But when you play a top 10 team in SCSU, I don't see any reason for not playing the clear #1 goalie. Save Thompson for the ASU series if you want him in net.

As far as "spectacular play on both ends by both teams", I thought SCSU dominated the play for nearly the entire game. UNO looked flat, let SCSU forwards skate all over them, a lot of standing around. And it's not because UNO lost...SCSU thoroughly outplayed them. I hope it is more entertaining this evening.
    So you're mad that a former SCSU defenseman and captain, and a guy who's been doing SCSU broadcasts at the local level for a number of years now are homer announcers?

Leave a comment:

• gomavs#1
    replied

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
    I thought the first was pretty even. UNO missed a few chances (top line) but they were finishing their checks and blocking a ton of shots. Once we got up 2 then they stopped being as physical. I guess I should clarify that the early part of the game was very good up and down hockey.

I didn't listen to the broadcast but usually Jim Rich and Mark Parrish do a pretty good job. I just went to NCHC.tv and listened to it and it was Mark's brother Geno doing the game- another former player (Mark is now the head boys HS hockey coach at Orono so he doesn't do all the games anymore). I don't think his comments were too out of line considering he was commenting in the moment and as a player at first glance it looked like he ran the goalie (shoulder to the face, didn't look like he tried to avoid or slow down at first glance), he even commented that it might cost him unless Benik bumped him.

As far as Blais is concerned I've seen him pull his goalie with his team down multiple goals to punish them for their effort. So with Red Cows comments I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls Weninger if he gets scored on, which according to RC is totally unacceptable.
    I agree....the first period was pretty entertaining, up and down. SCSU controlled so much of the play in our zone, I was impressed. Well, certainly it would have cost Guentzel if Benik didn't bump him. Guentzel plowed into Lindgren's head. But there was no way he could have stopped his momentum. I actually can't believe Lindgren got up and played after that. He went extremely hard into the post and the ice. Brutal. At least I would have thought he was a bit rattled, but not at all.

Who knows...maybe he throws Thompson in the net again. Blais has done crazier things!

Leave a comment:

• hockeykrazy
    replied

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
    That's the biggest concern for me - the SCSU forwards were all over the place. Our defensemen were left standing still. UNO was outplayed in every aspect...minus the shorthanded goal and first two penalty kills. If SCSU plays as well as they did last night they will be tough to beat. Even tougher if UNO decides not to show up.
    I thought the first was pretty even. UNO missed a few chances (top line) but they were finishing their checks and blocking a ton of shots. Once we got up 2 then they stopped being as physical. I guess I should clarify that the early part of the game was very good up and down hockey.

I didn't listen to the broadcast but usually Jim Rich and Mark Parrish do a pretty good job. I just went to NCHC.tv and listened to it and it was Mark's brother Geno doing the game- another former player (Mark is now the head boys HS hockey coach at Orono so he doesn't do all the games anymore). I don't think his comments were too out of line considering he was commenting in the moment and as a player at first glance it looked like he ran the goalie (shoulder to the face, didn't look like he tried to avoid or slow down at first glance), he even commented that it might cost him unless Benik bumped him. If you don't catch the beginning sometimes Mark and Geno's voices are very similar. I think most of the rest of the comments was on how bad it looked on Charlie with the shoulder to the front and the post to the back of the head.

As far as Blais is concerned I've seen him pull his goalie with his team down multiple goals to punish them for their effort. So with Red Cows comments I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls Weninger if he gets scored on, which according to RC is totally unacceptable.
    Last edited by hockeykrazy; 12-05-2015, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gomavs#1
    replied

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Your only comments have been whining about which goalie got the start, and nothing about how our forwards were skating circles around your defenseman and winning almost every puck battle despite the fact most of them are 5'9" 165 lbs. Your team got outplayed badly. You should be more worried about that than why Blais doesn't start your freshman goalie every game.
    That's the biggest concern for me - the SCSU forwards were all over the place. Our defensemen were left standing still. UNO was outplayed in every aspect...minus the shorthanded goal and first two penalty kills. If SCSU plays as well as they did last night they will be tough to beat. Even tougher if UNO decides not to show up.

Leave a comment:

• gomavs#1
    replied

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
    If I'm Blais, I put Thompson right back in there! He MUST find a way to overcome the propensity of giving up too many goals!
    Ha! With Blais, you never know.

Leave a comment:

• gomavs#1
    replied

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
    As far as homer announcers, that is expected. If you don't like it, turn down/off the volume.

That's what I do when I watch other teams home announcers. Most try do a good job.
    But some announcers like to throw that stuff/daggers out there because they love the feedback. Some of them have said as much, especially in big rivalries.

As far as Red Cows comments I don't know how you throw your coach and goaltender under the bus like that. Great program, great hockey and he goes off on a tirade.
    I thought Thompson played pretty well. All four goals would have been outstanding saves, I didn't see any soft goals out there. Maybe Blais wants to develop his team. What if Weniger gets injured? Does that excuse the team for not playing to their potential? Maybe Blais wants to see competition throughout for that spot so they peak at the right time- playoffs. There are a multitude of reasons why a coach does what they do. But to full out say your goaltender is the worst in the NCAA...

UNO had a bunch of chances, especially by the Ortega, Guentzel, Randolph, Parizek, Cooper but they just didn't go. Last night's game was one of the most fun games to watch in a long time. Spectacular play on both ends by both teams.
    I know SCSU has improved a ton since the beginning of the season so far.
    I'm not watching a hockey game in silence and won't listen to our home broadcast that is 45 seconds ahead of SCSU's video feed. Just cracks me up when supposed "experts" are calling a game and when the home goalie goes down because of the HOME team's defenseman, it's not noticed by said experts. Clearly Guentzel was going after Lindgren, whatever. Some commentators are professional, some are not, that's to be expected.

I'm not sure what the reason is to have Thompson out there. I thought he played fine and made some stops that kept the score reasonable. But when you are riding a hot goalie, ride the hot goalie. Maybe there is a master plan behind it, I don't know. But when you play a top 10 team in SCSU, I don't see any reason for not playing the clear #1 goalie. Save Thompson for the ASU series if you want him in net.

As far as "spectacular play on both ends by both teams", I thought SCSU dominated the play for nearly the entire game. UNO looked flat, let SCSU forwards skate all over them, a lot of standing around. And it's not because UNO lost...SCSU thoroughly outplayed them. I hope it is more entertaining this evening.

Leave a comment:

• Tipsy McStagger
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    I used the USCHO stat list for goalies, which only goes 50 goalies deep and is not an all-inclusive list as a result. My bad for not noticing that. That said, it doesn't fundamentally change my overall premise here.

Maybe UNO doesn't win if Weninger was out there (I have no idea what the psychology of the team night be when they see Thompson skating out to goal), anyway, but that doesn't change the fact that Thompson has no business being out there. None.
    Did you actually watch the game? Which goals would Weninger have stopped that Thompson didnt?

Thompson played well. If your team goes into shutdown mode because the backup goalie got a start, how can you have any hopes for this team for the rest of the season?

Your only comments have been whining about which goalie got the start, and nothing about how our forwards were skating circles around your defenseman and winning almost every puck battle despite the fact most of them are 5'9" 165 lbs. Your team got outplayed badly. You should be more worried about that than why Blais doesn't start your freshman goalie every game.

Leave a comment:

• The Boomer
    replied

If I'm Blais, I put Thompson right back in there! He MUST find a way to overcome the propensity of giving up too many goals!

Leave a comment:

• Tipsy McStagger
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    I actually sent Tony Boone of the Omaha World Herald an email last night to ask him if he knew. He's the beat writer at the paper for UNO hockey. He made no mention of this in his post game article.
    That poor sonofa*****

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    75 Kirk Thompson Omaha JR 164 21 .886
    76 Daniel Tirone New Hampshire SO 370 48 .885
    77 Charles Williams Ferris State SR 178 24 .881
    78 Guillaume Thérien Niagara FR 246 36 .872
    79 James Kruger Dartmouth SR 92 17 .844

those 4 are below him in SV% & GAA and there are several more with worse GAA numbers. We get it, you don't like Thompson but as has been said...UNO wasn't winning no matter who was in net and he kept that game from being a lot worse.
    I used the USCHO stat list for goalies, which only goes 50 goalies deep and is not an all-inclusive list as a result. My bad for not noticing that. That said, it doesn't fundamentally change my overall premise here.

Maybe UNO doesn't win if Weninger was out there (I have no idea what the psychology of the team night be when they see Thompson skating out to goal), anyway, but that doesn't change the fact that Thompson has no business being out there. None.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 12-05-2015, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RL3AO
    replied

I honestly didn't think he played that poorly. St. Cloud had the chances to score 8 or 9 last night. He made a few huge saves.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by RL3AO View Post
    Why was Thompson starting last night? Injury or coaches decision?
    I actually sent Tony Boone of the Omaha World Herald an email last night to ask him if he knew. He's the beat writer at the paper for UNO hockey. He made no mention of this in his post game article.

The same article in which he explains that Olympic Ice is 25' wider than NHL ice, I might add. Seriously. Take a look:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/uno-loses-m...f0de1417f.html

We don't get a lot of real insight, obviously, (and unfortunately) from someone that doesn't even know something as fundamental as this.

Leave a comment:

• First Time, Long Time
    replied
    75 Kirk Thompson Omaha JR 164 21 .886
    76 Daniel Tirone New Hampshire SO 370 48 .885
    77 Charles Williams Ferris State SR 178 24 .881
    78 Guillaume Thérien Niagara FR 246 36 .872
    79 James Kruger Dartmouth SR 92 17 .844

those 4 are below him in SV% & GAA and there are several more with worse GAA numbers. We get it, you don't like Thompson but as has been said...UNO wasn't winning no matter who was in net and he kept that game from being a lot worse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X