Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Its not that simple. Broadcasters dont get to say whatever they want, they are often expected to make things sound better for the home team to (in I think a feeble attempt)sell more tickets and merchandise. Go back and watch the SCSU drubbing at Kalamazoo. The announcers often made that sound like it was a close game. ESPECIALLY at non professional levels, both junior hockey and collegiate, you are expected to spin, spin, spin but I spoke with Dan Terhaar about this very issue 3 months ago and he said he would often get called into the office when he pointed out how bad the Wild 's power play had been. He was just stating facts reading numbers that were true, but they still got on his case about it.
    FSN is just the worst.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      Then there isn't a professional in college hockey. BTW listening to UNO's feed was very tough as the homerism was through the roof. But I listened because of the same reason you did. My local feed was too far ahead.

You have to accept homer announcers. To be honest I don't find Jim Rich to be that much of a homer.
      That's because Jim Rich isn't an SCSU Homer, he's from Duluth where his dad owned KBJR-TV, very good article on Jim ...
      http://www.virginiamn.com/sports/fea...9bb2963f4.html

Comment

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
        That's because Jim Rich isn't an SCSU Homer, he's from Duluth where his dad owned KBJR-TV, very good article on Jim ...
        http://www.virginiamn.com/sports/fea...9bb2963f4.html
        And he does local tv in the Cities. Being from Duluth is even better
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          At that, Geno followed Mark's footsteps and re-enrolled at SCSU, if I understand his situation correctly. So that leaves Jim Rich as the only non-student involved.
          He may be.
          If he is, he's working on a Masters.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

For the SCSU broadcast being student run, they do a really good job. I've seen some other student run broadcasts and they were bad. Quinnipiac stands out for example.

Comment

Cosnidering everything other than the announcing is done by undergrads, I have always been thoroughly impressed with the SCSU broadcasts. We are very lucky in that regard. The video quality and the camera work has been second to none for the last season or two.

I think Jim Rich does a really good job as did Rob (can't remember his last name) that preceeded him. The color guys, be it one of the Parrish boys or someone else, could stand to improve, but across any and all major sports non-national color analysts tend to be former players/homers so that doesn't really bother me much.

I am out of the country and can't watch so I can't comment on the game last night other than to say I hope for a similar result. And also no injuries. Get em tonight boys.
              Last edited by Pump It Up; 12-05-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Then there isn't a professional in college hockey. BTW listening to UNO's feed was very tough as the homerism was through the roof. But I listened because of the same reason you did. My local feed was too far ahead.

You have to accept homer announcers. To be honest I don't find Jim Rich to be that much of a homer.
                That's surprising...Terry Leahy is typically even keel and the play-by-play guy Ahlers is usually fairly even in his announcing. I didn't listen last night so I don't know how it compares to how they usually call it. Leahy has been doing color since the Mavs began in the late 90s and Ahlers is the Assistant Athletic Director for Communications. They are usually fairly unbiased.
                If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by RL3AO View Post
                  For the SCSU broadcast being student run, they do a really good job. I've seen some other student run broadcasts and they were bad. Quinnipiac stands out for example.
                  The actual broadcast itself rivals a lot of professional feeds. The pre-game opening and the camera work, not to mention the intermission stuff is really top notch. I was extremely impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
                    That's surprising...Terry Leahy is typically even keel and the play-by-play guy Ahlers is usually fairly even in his announcing. I didn't listen last night so I don't know how it compares to how they usually call it. Leahy has been doing color since the Mavs began in the late 90s and Ahlers is the Assistant Athletic Director for Communications. They are usually fairly unbiased.
                    Announcers are always unbiased when they're in favor of the team we support.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Announcers are always unbiased when they're in favor of the team we support.
                      True, but you can usually pick up on the language throughout the game. Using baseball as an example, there is a big difference between Hawk Harrelson from the White Sox and Gladden from the Twins. At times, I think Gladden is rooting against the Twins when he calls a game. It's as if he gets more excited when the other team scores a run, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
                        True, but you can usually pick up on the language throughout the game. Using baseball as an example, there is a big difference between Hawk Harrelson from the White Sox and Gladden from the Twins. At times, I think Gladden is rooting against the Twins when he calls a game. It's as if he gets more excited when the other team scores a run, etc.
                        Gladden's tough on the teams he likes. During the 1991 World Series run, he cold cocked his teammate (forget which) for not legging out a ground ball that most would consider a sure out because the chance existed that there could've been an error that got him to second base. Gladden being tough on the Twins is his way of showing support - he wants to be on the field helping the team improve its play.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

It appears as though Austin Ortega has a severe allergy reaction and will not be playing tonight. That's just fantastic.

Comment

WHAT????? Thompson isn't starting?!?!?

Comment

Wow.

Weninger is in goal and UNO is winning.

Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                Wow.

Weninger is in goal and UNO is winning.

Amazing.
                                And it's not because of him....amazing.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X