UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    I used the USCHO stat list for goalies, which only goes 50 goalies deep and is not an all-inclusive list as a result. My bad for not noticing that. That said, it doesn't fundamentally change my overall premise here.

Maybe UNO doesn't win if Weninger was out there (I have no idea what the psychology of the team night be when they see Thompson skating out to goal), anyway, but that doesn't change the fact that Thompson has no business being out there. None.
    Did you actually watch the game? Which goals would Weninger have stopped that Thompson didnt?

Thompson played well. If your team goes into shutdown mode because the backup goalie got a start, how can you have any hopes for this team for the rest of the season?

Your only comments have been whining about which goalie got the start, and nothing about how our forwards were skating circles around your defenseman and winning almost every puck battle despite the fact most of them are 5'9" 165 lbs. Your team got outplayed badly. You should be more worried about that than why Blais doesn't start your freshman goalie every game.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Re: UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
      As far as homer announcers, that is expected. If you don't like it, turn down/off the volume.

That's what I do when I watch other teams home announcers. Most try do a good job.
      But some announcers like to throw that stuff/daggers out there because they love the feedback. Some of them have said as much, especially in big rivalries.

As far as Red Cows comments I don't know how you throw your coach and goaltender under the bus like that. Great program, great hockey and he goes off on a tirade.
      I thought Thompson played pretty well. All four goals would have been outstanding saves, I didn't see any soft goals out there. Maybe Blais wants to develop his team. What if Weniger gets injured? Does that excuse the team for not playing to their potential? Maybe Blais wants to see competition throughout for that spot so they peak at the right time- playoffs. There are a multitude of reasons why a coach does what they do. But to full out say your goaltender is the worst in the NCAA...

UNO had a bunch of chances, especially by the Ortega, Guentzel, Randolph, Parizek, Cooper but they just didn't go. Last night's game was one of the most fun games to watch in a long time. Spectacular play on both ends by both teams.
      I know SCSU has improved a ton since the beginning of the season so far.
      I'm not watching a hockey game in silence and won't listen to our home broadcast that is 45 seconds ahead of SCSU's video feed. Just cracks me up when supposed "experts" are calling a game and when the home goalie goes down because of the HOME team's defenseman, it's not noticed by said experts. Clearly Guentzel was going after Lindgren, whatever. Some commentators are professional, some are not, that's to be expected.

I'm not sure what the reason is to have Thompson out there. I thought he played fine and made some stops that kept the score reasonable. But when you are riding a hot goalie, ride the hot goalie. Maybe there is a master plan behind it, I don't know. But when you play a top 10 team in SCSU, I don't see any reason for not playing the clear #1 goalie. Save Thompson for the ASU series if you want him in net.

As far as "spectacular play on both ends by both teams", I thought SCSU dominated the play for nearly the entire game. UNO looked flat, let SCSU forwards skate all over them, a lot of standing around. And it's not because UNO lost...SCSU thoroughly outplayed them. I hope it is more entertaining this evening.
      If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
        If I'm Blais, I put Thompson right back in there! He MUST find a way to overcome the propensity of giving up too many goals!
        Ha! With Blais, you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          Your only comments have been whining about which goalie got the start, and nothing about how our forwards were skating circles around your defenseman and winning almost every puck battle despite the fact most of them are 5'9" 165 lbs. Your team got outplayed badly. You should be more worried about that than why Blais doesn't start your freshman goalie every game.
          That's the biggest concern for me - the SCSU forwards were all over the place. Our defensemen were left standing still. UNO was outplayed in every aspect...minus the shorthanded goal and first two penalty kills. If SCSU plays as well as they did last night they will be tough to beat. Even tougher if UNO decides not to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
            That's the biggest concern for me - the SCSU forwards were all over the place. Our defensemen were left standing still. UNO was outplayed in every aspect...minus the shorthanded goal and first two penalty kills. If SCSU plays as well as they did last night they will be tough to beat. Even tougher if UNO decides not to show up.
            I thought the first was pretty even. UNO missed a few chances (top line) but they were finishing their checks and blocking a ton of shots. Once we got up 2 then they stopped being as physical. I guess I should clarify that the early part of the game was very good up and down hockey.

I didn't listen to the broadcast but usually Jim Rich and Mark Parrish do a pretty good job. I just went to NCHC.tv and listened to it and it was Mark's brother Geno doing the game- another former player (Mark is now the head boys HS hockey coach at Orono so he doesn't do all the games anymore). I don't think his comments were too out of line considering he was commenting in the moment and as a player at first glance it looked like he ran the goalie (shoulder to the face, didn't look like he tried to avoid or slow down at first glance), he even commented that it might cost him unless Benik bumped him. If you don't catch the beginning sometimes Mark and Geno's voices are very similar. I think most of the rest of the comments was on how bad it looked on Charlie with the shoulder to the front and the post to the back of the head.

As far as Blais is concerned I've seen him pull his goalie with his team down multiple goals to punish them for their effort. So with Red Cows comments I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls Weninger if he gets scored on, which according to RC is totally unacceptable.
            Last edited by hockeykrazy; 12-05-2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I thought the first was pretty even. UNO missed a few chances (top line) but they were finishing their checks and blocking a ton of shots. Once we got up 2 then they stopped being as physical. I guess I should clarify that the early part of the game was very good up and down hockey.

I didn't listen to the broadcast but usually Jim Rich and Mark Parrish do a pretty good job. I just went to NCHC.tv and listened to it and it was Mark's brother Geno doing the game- another former player (Mark is now the head boys HS hockey coach at Orono so he doesn't do all the games anymore). I don't think his comments were too out of line considering he was commenting in the moment and as a player at first glance it looked like he ran the goalie (shoulder to the face, didn't look like he tried to avoid or slow down at first glance), he even commented that it might cost him unless Benik bumped him.

As far as Blais is concerned I've seen him pull his goalie with his team down multiple goals to punish them for their effort. So with Red Cows comments I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls Weninger if he gets scored on, which according to RC is totally unacceptable.
              I agree....the first period was pretty entertaining, up and down. SCSU controlled so much of the play in our zone, I was impressed. Well, certainly it would have cost Guentzel if Benik didn't bump him. Guentzel plowed into Lindgren's head. But there was no way he could have stopped his momentum. I actually can't believe Lindgren got up and played after that. He went extremely hard into the post and the ice. Brutal. At least I would have thought he was a bit rattled, but not at all.

Who knows...maybe he throws Thompson in the net again. Blais has done crazier things!

Comment

I'm not watching a hockey game in silence and won't listen to our home broadcast that is 45 seconds ahead of SCSU's video feed. Just cracks me up when supposed "experts" are calling a game and when the home goalie goes down because of the HOME team's defenseman, it's not noticed by said experts. Clearly Guentzel was going after Lindgren, whatever. Some commentators are professional, some are not, that's to be expected.

I'm not sure what the reason is to have Thompson out there. I thought he played fine and made some stops that kept the score reasonable. But when you are riding a hot goalie, ride the hot goalie. Maybe there is a master plan behind it, I don't know. But when you play a top 10 team in SCSU, I don't see any reason for not playing the clear #1 goalie. Save Thompson for the ASU series if you want him in net.

As far as "spectacular play on both ends by both teams", I thought SCSU dominated the play for nearly the entire game. UNO looked flat, let SCSU forwards skate all over them, a lot of standing around. And it's not because UNO lost...SCSU thoroughly outplayed them. I hope it is more entertaining this evening.
                So you're mad that a former SCSU defenseman and captain, and a guy who's been doing SCSU broadcasts at the local level for a number of years now are homer announcers?
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I think Mark is a little less biased than Geno because he had some more separation from SCSU playing a lot longer professionally. Mark is or just finished getting his degree when he came back a year or two ago to do games.

I think Geno did make a good point that UNO gave us a bigger gap starting the second.

Two weeks ago against North Dakota they had Pat Micheletti and in the past they had Tom Saterdalen former Bloomington Jefferson coach (early 90's, coached Parrish's and his son in HS, dynasty) who does a good job- not nearly as biased as Gopher announcers.
                  Ben Clymer - former gopher- is still living in the rivalry, makes it his job to pee all over SCSU.

I don't remember Geno doing SCSU games before this year.
                  Last edited by hockeykrazy; 12-05-2015, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    So you're mad that a former SCSU defenseman and captain, and a guy who's been doing SCSU broadcasts at the local level for a number of years now are homer announcers?
                    Professional announcers are unbiased - even if it is their home call. A little bias is expected, but there is no way that UNO can always be "getting away with one" while SCSU played clean the entire game. Find the UNO broadcast for two professionals calling a game. Or don't hire former players to call a game.

Comment

I think Geno did make a good point that UNO gave us a bigger gap starting the second.
                      Very much agree...I didn't take notice of that until he said it...and then it was pretty clear how much space UNO was giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I will say the quality of the video and audio was the best I had seen/heard from an NCHC broadcast.

Comment

Professional announcers are unbiased - even if it is their home call. A little bias is expected, but there is no way that UNO can always be "getting away with one" while SCSU played clean the entire game. Find the UNO broadcast for two professionals calling a game. Or don't hire former players to call a game.
                          It's not a professional broadcast per se as it is entirely done by students save the two announcers.
                          It's incredibly good but if you are looking for totally unbiased...not going to happen.
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            It's not a professional broadcast per se as it is entirely done by students save the two announcers.
                            It's incredibly good but if you are looking for totally unbiased...not going to happen.
                            At that, Geno followed Mark's footsteps and re-enrolled at SCSU, if I understand his situation correctly. So that leaves Jim Rich as the only non-student involved.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Its not that simple. Broadcasters dont get to say whatever they want, they are often expected to make things sound better for the home team to (in I think a feeble attempt)sell more tickets and merchandise. Go back and watch the SCSU drubbing at Kalamazoo. The announcers often made that sound like it was a close game. ESPECIALLY at non professional levels, both junior hockey and collegiate, you are expected to spin, spin, spin but I spoke with Dan Terhaar about this very issue 3 months ago and he said he would often get called into the office when he pointed out how bad the Wild 's power play had been. He was just stating facts reading numbers that were true, but they still got on his case about it.
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Then there isn't a professional in college hockey. BTW listening to UNO's feed was very tough as the homerism was through the roof. But I listened because of the same reason you did. My local feed was too far ahead.

You have to accept homer announcers. To be honest I don't find Jim Rich to be that much of a homer.
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X