No announcement yet.

UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Hey this isn't Facebook ya know...meet you and other unh fans at the picture between 1st and 2nd?
    Sounds good ref!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Re: UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Just like every player in UHN history
      Stick that in yer asterisk (*1993) and smoke it, you shameless Walshy apologist!!

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Hey this isn't Facebook ya know...meet you and other unh fans at the picture between 1st and 2nd?
        Don't you guys meet in front of your trophy case? 😂
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
          Why not in the case, there is plenty of room
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
            Don't push it or we'll build a wall between NH and ME so you maniacs can't shop here for your cigarettes and alcohol😆

Comment

Def does! Am not going to make the trip. My last time up there was 2 years ago and I wore NO UNH gear. Sat in one of the "premium" seats off the penalty box/ center ice. Guy next to me told me that usually college scouts sat in that seat; did I pay the 50.00 for it? yes I did. UNH lost 3-2 that evening and I drove up in a terrible snow storm. So sitting at home watching it is going to have to suffice. Basically enjoyed the game at the Alfond; not the 4.5 hrs. to get there.
              $50 for a regular season college hockey ticket? Really? I am thinking about making my first visit to Alfond on Friday night; hard to believe, as I spend a lot of time in northern and eastern Maine. But, when I was a grad student in Orono, the Black Bears were a club hockey team that played at an outdoor rink "down by the river" (apologies to Chris Farley).

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                $50 for a regular season college hockey ticket? Really? I am thinking about making my first visit to Alfond on Friday night; hard to believe, as I spend a lot of time in northern and eastern Maine. But, when I was a grad student in Orono, the Black Bears were a club hockey team that played at an outdoor rink "down by the river" (apologies to Chris Farley).
                I believe most tix are 24 but there are premium seats (their term)!that cost 50...
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

The funny part is we all WISHED it could be like the years past, where BOTH teams were fighting for a Top 4 spot in Hockey East and were in the Top 10 Rankings each week...and were mentioned as possible Frozen 4 Teams in the spring. Now 20 win seasons are a distant memory and fighting for 8th through 12th is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Hey, I used to scrape that ice.

Comment

Originally posted by mainer64 View Post
                      Hey, I used to scrape that ice.
                      Must have been pretty hard ice, as there were week-long stretches when the temperature never rose above 0 F; my Datsun 510 woould not start for over three weeks, and a friend could not get his Fiat to start for over three months. No plug-ins for the engine blocks where we lived.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        The funny part is we all WISHED it could be like the years past, where BOTH teams were fighting for a Top 4 spot in Hockey East and were in the Top 10 Rankings each week...and were mentioned as possible Frozen 4 Teams in the spring. Now 20 win seasons are a distant memory and fighting for 8th through 12th is the norm.
                        For a good chunk of the previous two decades, the HE "Big Four" was usually BU, BC, UMaine and UNH.

So far this decade, the HE "Big Four" has begun to morph into BU, BC, UMass-Lowell and Providence.

As much as we UNH'ers p!$$ & moan about our program's deterioration ... UMaine's deterioration has been even more precipitous - from the NCAA apex to lower depths of HE (sooner), to which UNH hasn't quite fallen (yet).

It's times like these when having a couple of NCAA trophies (one without an *asterisk even ) in Alfond's trophy case can at least allow fans to recall happier days when things were (much) different.

I'm not sure Hockey East has ever enjoyed such a high profile, non-Boston rivalry since the heady days of the UMaine-UNH rivalry, which has gradually lost its prestige over the last decade or so. There has always been BU-BC, and of course the Beanpot is a HE-heavy event that draws lots of attention every February, serving as a good warm-up for the HE Tourney. And if there was ever an event that rivaled a BC-BU Beanpot Final in terms of venue excitement, it was bringing in top notch UMaine and UNH teams to do battle with one/two of the Boston schools in the HE Semis/Finals. With all due respect to the Lowells and Providences of the world ... they haven't traveled in the same numbers to Boston as the UNH and UMaine contingents. And IMHO the league has lost a little of its regional profile as a result.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          It's times like these when having a couple of NCAA trophies (one without an *asterisk even ) in Alfond's trophy case can at least allow fans to recall happier days when things were (much) different.
                          I suppose, though they sure are getting awfully dusty...

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          I'm not sure Hockey East has ever enjoyed such a high profile, non-Boston rivalry since the heady days of the UMaine-UNH rivalry, which has gradually lost its prestige over the last decade or so.
                          The 1998-1999 season sure was a long time ago...

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/unh/sched99.php

11/27/98 - Maine 4-3 (Ben Guite attempts to decapitate Mark Mowers) - @ Whittemore Center
                          02/07/99 - Maine 4-3 - @ Alfond Arena
                          03/05-06/99 - UNH 6-1, 4-1 (In a legitimate 'White Out' and one of the absolute best sporting atmospheres I've ever experienced, as UNH captured the HE Regular Season title) - @ Whittemore Center

As far as I can tell, they only played those four times that season. I certainly can't recall any meetings in April...???
                          Last edited by Dan; 12-01-2015, 10:26 AM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Why not in the case, there is plenty of room
                            Must spread rep...
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I suppose, though they sure are getting awfully dusty...

The 1998-1999 season sure was a long time ago...

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/unh/sched99.php

11/27/98 - Maine 4-3 (Ben Guite attempts to decapitate Mark Mowers) - @ Whittemore Center
                              02/07/99 - Maine 4-3 - @ Alfond Arena
                              03/05-06/99 - UNH 6-1, 4-1 (In a legitimate 'White Out' and one of the absolute best sporting atmospheres I've ever experienced, as UNH captured the HE Regular Season title) - @ Whittemore Center

As far as I can tell, they only played those four times that season. I certainly can't recall any meetings in April...???
                              F$&@ing Gustafsson.
                              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Maine will sweep this weekend. You heard it here first.

Comment

Working...
                                X