UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    I could be wrong but last year, this game was close to being sold out up in Portland...not so much at the Verizon, as one would expect...I mean, they aren't even having a UNH reception in ManchVegas and they are in Pland???
    So, you are saying that I should find Felger's car, break into it, and take one if his four freebie tickets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      So, you are saying that I should find Felger's car, break into it, and take one if his four freebie tickets?
      Might not hurt 😉
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Technically, you don't even have to break into something that's already been broken into.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          I could be wrong but last year, this game was close to being sold out up in Portland...not so much at the Verizon, as one would expect...I mean, they aren't even having a UNH reception in ManchVegas and they are in Pland???
          I think Portland is a great hockey town, and I would love to see an NCAA regional there. I'll bet they do a great job. Also...

It has always appeared to me that Maine has been much more of a "statewide" school, and as a result Portland has supported them very well. Perhaps that has something to do with the flagship's mindset? I mean, remember when UMO won its first national title and Coach Walsh said right there on ESPN it was for the whole state? Something like from Kittery to Fort Kent? Compare that to those who claim to be supporters of the UNH program, but are much happier with mileposts more like Barrington to Newington...

As far as last year goes, don't forget a couple things. The Manchester game was on TV, at the same time the UNH football team was on ESPN, playing in the NCAA playoffs. And the Portland game was not on tv at all.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
            I think Portland is a great hockey town, and I would love to see an NCAA regional there. I'll bet they do a great job. Also...

It has always appeared to me that Maine has been much more of a "statewide" school, and as a result Portland has supported them very well. Perhaps that has something to do with the flagship's mindset? I mean, remember when UMO won its first national title and Coach Walsh said right there on ESPN it was for the whole state? Something like from Kittery to Fort Kent? Compare that to those who claim to be supporters of the UNH program, but are much happier with mileposts more like Barrington to Newington....
            ...to Effingwoods......to Thornton; right?

As far as last year goes, don't forget a couple things. The Manchester game was on TV, at the same time the UNH football team was on ESPN, playing in the NCAA playoffs. And the Portland game was not on tv at all.
            Is Portland Civic Center game on TV this year?

Comment

It has always appeared to me that Maine has been much more of a "statewide" school, and as a result Portland has supported them very well. Perhaps that has something to do with the flagship's mindset? I mean, remember when UMO won its first national title and Coach Walsh said right there on ESPN it was for the whole state? Something like from Kittery to Fort Kent? Compare that to those who claim to be supporters of the UNH program, but are much happier with mileposts more like Barrington to Newington...

Location, location, location.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I think we touched briefly on the WIS "What If Walshy?" thread the effort Coach Walsh put into marketing his team on a statewide basis, which was commendable, and apparently is still paying some dividends with consistent decent ticket sales in Portland for a game or two annually. One of my major beefs with the way the UNH Hockey program has been "promoted" (and I use that term flimsily) to areas beyond the Seacoast - and frankly even in the Seacoast region - is the apparent total absence of any real marketing push.

And these days, with more and more on-campus housing options there should be an even bigger push to get more students involved. If there are regularly hundreds of unsold tickets at the far end of the arena (opposite the sky boxes and the regular student section), why not offer those to additional students? Getting more folks into the building would be a great first step, and the younger ones tend to be the more energetic and enthusiastic ones (so long as their noses aren't buried in their devices). Liven the frickin' place up.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Weather forecast is not looking good for driving across northern New England to/from Portland for game on Tuesday evening. :-(

Comment

Weather forecast is not looking good for driving across northern New England to/from Portland for game on Tuesday evening. :-(
                    Yeah, not sure I want to drive down there in rain, ice, snow when temps are going to be close to 32. Especially when I leave the coast, go inland and then back to the coast. Its still a few days out so we'll see come monday night if I go. Have seats right on the glass, it would suck for them to be empty.

Merry Christmas Folks
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Nope and I got my tix last week and registered for the Alumni event which is in a suite at the arena. Will give it a go if at all possible.
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Yeah, not sure I want to drive down there in rain, ice, snow when temps are going to be close to 32. Especially when I leave the coast, go inland and then back to the coast. Its still a few days out so we'll see come monday night if I go. Have seats right on the glass, it would suck for them to be empty.

Merry Christmas Folks
                        Right back atcha Walrus!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

Merry Christmas Folks
                          Right back atcha. We're coming from NH and have a lot of winding roads to get to 95...sure hope the weather is good but heck, won't miss it!!!!! Merry Christmas you Mainiac...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Will be a "game-time decision" whether I can play, er, drive.

E.cat, do you think that the UNH alumni event allows walk-ons, with credit card in hand, of course?

Walrus, perhaps you could hire a lobstah boat to get you there?

Drive (home) safely, everyone.

Comment

Will be a "game-time decision" whether I can play, er, drive.

E.cat, do you think that the UNH alumni event allows walk-ons, with credit card in hand, of course?

Walrus, perhaps you could hire a lobstah boat to get you there?

Drive (home) safely, everyone.
                              Snively65 I think when I looked last at the "guest list" there weren't a ton of people signed up so can't imagine you couldn't get into the event! Unfortunately am going to miss that but we are in Section Q right on the glass so maybe catch up? NOT that I CARE but...since it's a college game will they be selling beer at the game? Like I said, not that I care hahaha just curious. Doubt they will at the Verizon...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Snively65 I think when I looked last at the "guest list" there weren't a ton of people signed up so can't imagine you couldn't get into the event! Unfortunately am going to miss that but we are in Section Q right on the glass so maybe catch up? NOT that I CARE but...since it's a college game will they be selling beer at the game? Like I said, not that I care hahaha just curious. Doubt they will at the Verizon...
                                No there will be no beer for sale
                                I work about a half mile from rink so will stay in p town and have dinner with the better half then do a walk up for tix I guess
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X