2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Anyone want to give next years opening game lineup a stab assuming no one leaves that isn't graduating.

Stacey-McCarthy-Stahlberg
    Downing-Brickley-Burrows
    Roos-Lenz-Pacan
    Leonard-Herrington-Marshall

Mackenzie-Medvec
    Lawson-Miller
    Herrington-Franzon

Madore

Bench: Decenzo-Montagna-Albertson

Doerring-Griem

Vazzano 1, Vazzano 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ogilthorpe View Post
      Really liked Uvm's chances watching the first period of this game. Looked loose and wanting to be the aggressor getting in on their D and having our D as part of the offense as opposed to letting their D dictate the play. Unfortunately it didn't carry over to the second period and again in the third. Losing Medvec was gigantic as the D didn't have quite the same energy to be able to play an aggressive style offensively and Medvec himself looked poised to have a great game. Not really sure why he couldn't continue as he was dressed and on the bench as far as I could tell...maybe didn't pass a head-shot exam.
      separated shoulder, played 3 or 4 shifts in 2nd but hurt it again and was done. wisconsin got away with a lot in this game, unfortunate for UVM but a nice way to finish the season by getting to the NCAA tourney

Comment

Now that UVM's season is officially over, I'm curious to see if any Cat's bolt early.

What do you guys think?
        And which of the seniors do you think will be signed?

I think Medvec is really the only one that may leave early, and I really think that is unlikely.

I think Irwin has the best chance of signing a pro deal. Possibly Roloff as well.

Outside of that I think the remaining Cats will be back next year.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Disappointing result in that UVM played well enough on balance to win that game.

Got to hand it to Wisconsin for burying their PP chances though. UVM took too many penalties - although I agree that a number of them were ticky tacky calls like that hook on Irwin late in the 3rd to even them up at four on four. That was a brutal call.

Cats still had some chances late to get the equalizer - I really thought they were going to - but the Wisconsin goalie stood his ground.

Losing Medvec early (shoulder??) on that boarding call was rough. That or the Stacey hit should have been 5 minutes without a doubt.

Stacey looked pretty good for not having played for nearly 2 months due to his injury...

Pretty good game by Madore. too bad that first one went off Franzons stick or it does not go in. I like the Madore/Vazzano Jr rotation for next year...

Thanks and congrats to the senior class for a solid four years.

Just about six months and a week until the first game of next season. Looking forward to it already. The Cats lose a lot of forwards (Roloff, Irwin, Vock, Higgins, Anctil, Milo) and at least one D in Cullity. The secrets to next year will be:

1. Do we lose any D early? If not they will be VERY solid. If they lose one early they will still be formidable.

2. How much do this years freshmen improve next year? Stalburg had more impact as a freshman this year than Vic did as a freshman (although similar points) - if he improves much he will be an impact player in the league the next three years. I also expect McCarthy and Pacan to step up a notch next year with more weight training and another year of maturity - they are both relatively young freshmen.

3. How good is next years incoming class of forwards? I think they are going to be very good (Brickley #18 rated recruit in the nation, Montagna is a high end playmaker, Herrington is supposed to be good, Decenzo should be a decent playmaker). I think they are going to be the best class since Perrin/St. Louis but how long will it take them to adjust and contribute? Doerring is reported to be a strong D recruit also.

4. Do any of the upperclass forwards step up big like Irwin did this year? Stacey and Burrows would be the first candidates. I would not be shocked to see Burrows have a huge year up front. Downing has upside also after a rather quiet second half this year. Leanard will likely see the ice most of next season also in a 4th line role. Only four senior forwards next year including Burrows. The following year they only have one senior forward in Marshall.

Speaking of Marshall - for a guy who can really skate he has not done much in two years despite a lot of PT. Seems like the puck won't stay on his stick. I hope his confidence and luck improves because with his wheels he could be an impact player.

Hopefully no D leave early...... Please stay guys and make it a three peat in the NCAA tournament next year.....

The only thing I don't like about summer is the lack of college hockey...

Thanks for a good season Cats - lots of ups and downs but you saved it with those two monster shutouts at UNH and made it a fun ride down the stretch.

Good luck to the seniors in the next stage of your lives.

Comment

I suppose we should start an offseason thread but - here is my response to the proposed line-ups posted below:

No way Montagna is on the bench. He's a premier playmaker.

I also expect that Doerring will be starting on D.

I fear that Medvec leaves and I think that Doerring and L. Herrington will be in the line-up regularly.

I think there is a slight chance that another D leaves which may force Burrows back to D. If the freshman forwards are as advertised there should be plenty of forward depth (although rather young).

I'm excited about the next three years as the recruiting is really improving depth of the team. We just need a couple of snipers like V. Stalberg or Mifsud to get to the top of the heap.

Montagna in particular has huge playmaking ability but needs to be paired with someone who can snipe. That may end up being Stacey, Burrows or Downing next year. Any of the three having a huge year would not surprise me.

Comment

Madore had some real good games down the stretch but is still prone to a softie a little too often and being small does not help when screened. Vazzano Jr. is a fairly highly touted goalie recruit. I expect to see some type of rotation between the two of them next year early on and to see whomever is playing better get more time down the stretch. Having two high end capable goalies will be a good thing.

I will say that Madore impressed me late this year.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                watched game on TV , you guys would have won this game if it werent for the refs , or perhaps staying out of the box , the three PP goals were the difference.Nice season .
                would never share the opinion that a team would have won if it weren't for refs.....a team, each team has to play through adversity through the course of a game and you're right the Wisco PP was the difference. Honestly after I saw their first PP in the first period it was clear to me keeping them off the PP was absolutely critical.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                  Now that UVM's season is officially over, I'm curious to see if any Cat's bolt early.

What do you guys think?
                  And which of the seniors do you think will be signed?

I think Medvec is really the only one that may leave early, and I really think that is unlikely.

I think Irwin has the best chance of signing a pro deal. Possibly Roloff as well.

Outside of that I think the remaining Cats will be back next year.
                  Medvec is in the position to be most likely to leave early and I think there is a good chance of it happening. The Wild organization and there depth chart at D is exactly in the right position to bring him in and most likely get a year of ahl next season but is absolutly on their radar. He looked motivated last night until getting hurt and I really think he could have put uvm over the hump had he been able to continue comfortably....did see on the replay this AM where he tried a couple shifts in the second but got hit again against the glass and was never to be seen from again.

Irwin and Roloff probably would get a ATO in the ahl although they may have had a better chance a week or two ago as a bunch have already beat them to the punch and there aren't many ahl games left. Irwin would have to do a 180 in the work ethic department as well as add a lot of strength to make it at the next level. He has the size and the skills but the other areas won't get him there. Roloff was a hard worker with good speed and should get a shot to play ahl or for certain echl.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                    I suppose we should start an offseason thread but - here is my response to the proposed line-ups posted below:

No way Montagna is on the bench. He's a premier playmaker.

I also expect that Doerring will be starting on D.

I fear that Medvec leaves and I think that Doerring and L. Herrington will be in the line-up regularly.

I think there is a slight chance that another D leaves which may force Burrows back to D. If the freshman forwards are as advertised there should be plenty of forward depth (although rather young).

I'm excited about the next three years as the recruiting is really improving depth of the team. We just need a couple of snipers like V. Stalberg or Mifsud to get to the top of the heap.

Montagna in particular has huge playmaking ability but needs to be paired with someone who can snipe. That may end up being Stacey, Burrows or Downing next year. Any of the three having a huge year would not surprise me.
                    They could use one more recruit on D, maybe they can find a situation like McCarthy who is ready but the school wasn't ready. After next season, that group is real thin. I think Medvec bolts, Miller stays because the hawks or anyone else should see he could use another collegiate season but I'd really like to see Burrows get a full season up front. Lawson must be catching the eye of a team or two, needs work on his agility and foot speed though. They'll be young up front next year but should be energetic. Hope you're right on Montagna and the strength of the class, putting two good forward classes back to back will help long term. This was again a real good experience for the young guys and you have to like our chances if they can get back to the ncaa's with Madore in net. I do hope Vaz jr. is able to push him though and allow Madore to stay fresh and motivated.

Comment

For UVM to win at the next level they need to be better on special teams. They are terrible on the PP, just terrible and the PK is just average. Gain 5 to 7 points between the 2 and they are in position to be permanent residents at the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                        For UVM to win at the next level they need to be better on special teams. They are terrible on the PP, just terrible and the PK is just average. Gain 5 to 7 points between the 2 and they are in position to be permanent residents at the tourney.
                        Agree with JC on this as well. UVM looked like they did not know what to do with the puck on the PP when no one was pressing them. It was ugly. And on the PK they just kept collapsing closer and closer to the goal as Wisco passed it around. Does Sneddon practice the PP or what? You can tell he was a defensemen in his career when you see the PP. The PK was an aberration this year hopefully and maybe Gasprarini can help with PP next year........Agree if they can fix it they will make a huge improvement.

Comment

Irwin signed a 2 way NHL deal with Toronto just hours after the cats were eliminated by wisconsin.

Comment

Ironic that BC's playing Yale today with a trip to the FF on the line. On the one hand, I'd like to see a HE team in the FF, but on the other hand it'd also be cool to see Yale beat them after having to listen to BC fans talk about how badly Yale sucks for the past year, in connection with our own '09 tournament appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                              Ironic that BC's playing Yale today with a trip to the FF on the line. On the one hand, I'd like to see a HE team in the FF, but on the other hand it'd also be cool to see Yale beat them after having to listen to BC fans talk about how badly Yale sucks for the past year, in connection with our own '09 tournament appearance.
                              I also am torn, but in the end, would prefer to see HE representation in Detroit. Close call though.
                              Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                                Very ironic!!!!
                                Originally posted by reBlur
                                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X