Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    Best of luck to the UVM team and their fans, go Hockey East.
    Here's to a UNH/UVM matchup at the Frozen Four!

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
      Good luck to UVM in the NCAA Tournament.
      Thanks Patronick. UML still has class despite this new found rivalry that gets heated at times....well pretty much all year.

Comment

anyone know where i can get a stream for this game tonight? from canada, unable to get espnu... LMK plz, maybe someone has a slingbox theyd let me access for tonights game? THX!

Comment

See ya, UVM
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

And so it ends.......

On to the off-season. But first, the cats played well and held their own 5 on 5, but the D just forgot what to do on the power play. The second period excluded, where it looked like Madore was the only player on the ice for UVM, but the first and third were good periods for the Cats.

Kudos to Wisco on the win, they were great on the power play, patient, poised, and deadly. The D definitely did not force them to do anything and they were not clearing rebounds or blocking guys out. Bad recipe.

That said, I have one major complaint, the officiating was horrendous and I can't say that it went both ways. It was like the refs didn't want a penalty to decide the game to the point that everytime a Badger headed to the penalty box, you knew a random Catamount was sure to be right behind them. It was just ridiculous. Wisco goes to the box on the hit to Wahs in the third, a chance for the cats to score......nope as soon as the puck drops Irwin is whistled for hooking ?? Hook?? Where?? Just a weak weak weak call.

On the positive, Madore was absolutely phenomenal. Lets hope that the first part of the year was his sophmore slump.

Lawson was a machine out there, I'm super surprised at how quick he can be for such a big guy, and besides firing shot after shot on net from the point, he skated in and totally put a great move on one of the Wisco D-men....

Vock, well.....the kid can skate and is amazingly creative with the puck, but he sure has been snake bit this year. He just can't seem to finish. Had some great opportunities this year and again last night that just didn't come to fruition.

Have to give the freshman some credit, they have come along great through the season. Stalberg and McCarthy look to be the future of this team over the next 3 years. Pacan as well and Franzon is going to be a solid D-man.

Very pleased with the how the Cats played, the 2nd was horrible, but they played a good game against Wisco and a few bounces their way and they would have moved on. Tough loss to one of the best teams in the country.

Here's to next year.....
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Nice game UVM....tough one...no disgrace in losing to Wisconsin...think you guys proved you belonged.....good luck next year.

Comment

Great effort against Wisconsin. You guys should be real proud of your team.

Comment

Thanks to all the UNH fans for the well wishes.....

I must say, out of all the HE fanbases, UNH's are the classiest.

Congrats on moving on in the Tourney and best of luck.

Comment

Tough game, Wisconsin is the real deal speed, power, size, and creativity.

That being said, UVM made a game of it even strength, played well within their systems.

No problem with how they played, just continue to wish for a player or two with more of a scorers touch.

On the plus side, I was not looking forward to making it to Detroit, now i dont have to do so
                    Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

That said, I have one major complaint, the officiating was horrendous and I can't say that it went both ways. It was like the refs didn't want a penalty to decide the game to the point that everytime a Badger headed to the penalty box, you knew a random Catamount was sure to be right behind them. It was just ridiculous. Wisco goes to the box on the hit to Wahs in the third, a chance for the cats to score......nope as soon as the puck drops Irwin is whistled for hooking ?? Hook?? Where?? Just a weak weak weak call.

I agree. The officials are supposed to protect the players. Wisconsin took at least three very dangerous penalties that resulted in legitimate injuries to Vermont players. Checks from behind, boarding, and hits to the head are supposedly the calls that should result in the harshest penalties. Not only did none of those guys get majors, UVM was penalized on very weak (as you mentioned) calls to nullify the advantage. Sneddon eluded to this in his press conference but he held back.

Wisconsin was the better team for the most part but they didn't gain control until after Medvec left the game. I found it somewhat annoying that the announcers on ESPNU never mentioned the short bench UVM was playing with do to the cheap hits. They wanted to give Wisconsin all the credit without considering part of the reason why they gained control.

Congrats Vermont on another solid season and good luck to Wisconsin. They have a very talented team that is fun to watch.
                      GO CATS GO!

2013 U20 Gold Medal
                      2010 U20 Gold Medal
                      USA HOCKEY
                      1996 World Cup Champions
                      2010 & 2002 Olympic Silver Medal
                      2004 U20 Gold Medal
                      U18 Gold '09, '06 & '05
                      WNT 2008 & 2009 World Champions

Comment

Originally posted by forsberg21 View Post
                        I agree. The officials are supposed to protect the players. Wisconsin took at least three very dangerous penalties that resulted in legitimate injuries to Vermont players. Checks from behind, boarding, and hits to the head are supposedly the calls that should result in the harshest penalties. Not only did none of those guys get majors, UVM was penalized on very weak (as you mentioned) calls to nullify the advantage. Sneddon eluded to this in his press conference but he held back.

Wisconsin was the better team for the most part but they didn't gain control until after Medvec left the game. I found it somewhat annoying that the announcers on ESPNU never mentioned the short bench UVM was playing with do to the cheap hits. They wanted to give Wisconsin all the credit without considering part of the reason why they gained control.

Congrats Vermont on another solid season and good luck to Wisconsin. They have a very talented team that is fun to watch.
                        There were some pretty gruesome hits from the Badgers. The Wahs hit that had him down for a significant amount of time, and the elbow to the head against Lawson was brutal. Lawson is a big guy and he got hammered, and was definitely woozy trying to get back to the bench. There was also a boarding call in the first I believe, that I really thought should have been a major penalty.

Just seemed to me the refs were calling only the most blatant penalties and then were nullifying them with really weak calls. It was just really weird to watch, and frustrating. Especially in the third where UVM should have had 2-3 power plays and ended up with a few seconds here and 10 seconds there because they were all nullified. I have never seen a team on the Power Play take so many penalties in one game.

And I want to make it clear, I am taking nothing away from the Badgers, they are a great team. I was surprised at their speed, and poise with the puck. Great team.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          There were some pretty gruesome hits from the Badgers. The Wahs hit that had him down for a significant amount of time, and the elbow to the head against Lawson was brutal. Lawson is a big guy and he got hammered, and was definitely woozy trying to get back to the bench. There was also a boarding call in the first I believe, that I really thought should have been a major penalty.

Just seemed to me the refs were calling only the most blatant penalties and then were nullifying them with really weak calls. It was just really weird to watch, and frustrating. Especially in the third where UVM should have had 2-3 power plays and ended up with a few seconds here and 10 seconds there because they were all nullified. I have never seen a team on the Power Play take so many penalties in one game.

And I want to make it clear, I am taking nothing away from the Badgers, they are a great team. I was surprised at their speed, and poise with the puck. Great team.
                          If a player receives a boarding penalty for injuring another player, he should receive a major. Boarding is the most dangerous hit in the game and it resulted in UVM losing one of their best players in Kyle Medvec for the remainder of the game. The ref obviously saw the hit as a penalty was called. Why a major wasn't assessed is beyond me. It isn't easy for officials because players will fake injuries but this wasn't a fake....
                          GO CATS GO!

2013 U20 Gold Medal
                          2010 U20 Gold Medal
                          USA HOCKEY
                          1996 World Cup Champions
                          2010 & 2002 Olympic Silver Medal
                          2004 U20 Gold Medal
                          U18 Gold '09, '06 & '05
                          WNT 2008 & 2009 World Champions

Comment

Really liked Uvm's chances watching the first period of this game. Looked loose and wanting to be the aggressor getting in on their D and having our D as part of the offense as opposed to letting their D dictate the play. Unfortunately it didn't carry over to the second period and again in the third. Losing Medvec was gigantic as the D didn't have quite the same energy to be able to play an aggressive style offensively and Medvec himself looked poised to have a great game. Not really sure why he couldn't continue as he was dressed and on the bench as far as I could tell...maybe didn't pass a head-shot exam.

It was clear they had to win this game 5 on 5 where they were having the most success as Wisc powerplay was moving the puck well and it seemed to take a monumental effort just to kill thirty seconds off a powerplay. That is a heck of a team but it felt like this one was winable which i guess is a testament to how good this uvm team was or could be.

This game had a strong feeling similar to the first game of the unh quarterfinal series where uvm was all over the opponent in the first period looking like the best team in the country. Just didn't carry that throughout and weren't able to play that aggressive style getting pucks deep and controlling the game along the boards in their zone. Wahs was a factor really getting into the mix and was the reason for that first goal as he pushed the momentum of the Wisc player into the goalie who in turn carried the puck across the line. Also took that season ending hit to get them on the powerplay only to have it taken away with an Irwin hook. Lawson was really good in the first but losing Medvec affected him as well.

What can you say, can't be all that disappointed, the program continues to be on the up and up and hopefully eventually it will turn into some hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogilthorpe View Post
                              Really liked Uvm's chances watching the first period of this game. Looked loose and wanting to be the aggressor getting in on their D and having our D as part of the offense as opposed to letting their D dictate the play. Unfortunately it didn't carry over to the second period and again in the third. Losing Medvec was gigantic as the D didn't have quite the same energy to be able to play an aggressive style offensively and Medvec himself looked poised to have a great game. Not really sure why he couldn't continue as he was dressed and on the bench as far as I could tell...maybe didn't pass a head-shot exam.

It was clear they had to win this game 5 on 5 where they were having the most success as Wisc powerplay was moving the puck well and it seemed to take a monumental effort just to kill thirty seconds off a powerplay. That is a heck of a team but it felt like this one was winable which i guess is a testament to how good this uvm team was or could be.

This game had a strong feeling similar to the first game of the unh quarterfinal series where uvm was all over the opponent in the first period looking like the best team in the country. Just didn't carry that throughout and weren't able to play that aggressive style getting pucks deep and controlling the game along the boards in their zone. Wahs was a factor really getting into the mix and was the reason for that first goal as he pushed the momentum of the Wisc player into the goalie who in turn carried the puck across the line. Also took that season ending hit to get them on the powerplay only to have it taken away with an Irwin hook. Lawson was really good in the first but losing Medvec affected him as well.

What can you say, can't be all that disappointed, the program continues to be on the up and up and hopefully eventually it will turn into some hardware.
                              watched game on TV , you guys would have won this game if it werent for the refs , or perhaps staying out of the box , the three PP goals were the difference.Nice season .

Comment

Originally posted by Ogilthorpe View Post

Had the same thoughts on Medvec. He was playing very well. I saw him on the bench and he did not appear to have a head injury as it looked more like the shoulder. I think that was the game changer.

Refs and linesmen were both questionable. Wisco guy would glide to the puck at best and the icing call would come but the other way it was waived off everytime.

ESPNU. Come on....Paradise tried to be somewhat neutral but the other guy I swear he thought Wisconsin was playing Wisconsin out there. Horrible.

Wisconsin was a bigger and stronger team physically than I expected. They a solid team.

JC. Right on for Vock. The kid has great skills but no sense for the net it seems. I have felt that way all year. Overall you have to be happy we made it this far considering the ups and downs of the season and it is easy to be an armchair QB. All the guys deserve a lot of credit and good luck to the seniors moving on.

Comment

Working...
                                X